VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Digz
G-Man
m1dadio
Lazarusvan
8 posters

Can anyone explain this one?

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Can anyone explain this one? Empty Can anyone explain this one?

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:10 pm

Filled the van up with gas yesterday. Nothing overflowed. Came home today to find this puddle and the bubbled paint as a result of the gas ruining my paint. I thought I'd seen it all...

Can anyone explain this one? Leak14
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Can anyone explain this one? Empty Re: Can anyone explain this one?

Post by m1dadio Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:47 pm

Thats more then Gas stain on the ground, What else can off with it, undercoating?

Judging by the flow rate of the spill pattern this van is parked driver side low. These old tanks were designed poorly and often puke out the cap do to overfilling. or the van with a full tank on even the slightest angle driver side low or the back end low on a steep driveway. especialy if the tank was "topped off" during the fill, and/or the cold gas from a large underground tank then expanded as it warmed up at surface temp.

The paint came off too? I supose thats a high ethinol fuel? or it has some other crazy artificail octain booster additives in it.

These tanks puke fual on right turns with full tanks also. You should avoid filling it, or change to a moden design tank like I did.

M1D
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:02 pm

This just happened to me over the summer, could need a better venting gas cap
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:24 pm

M1D, don't know what else it could be. The paint job is enamel and urethane. Yep, bubbled it right up. Van is leaning slightly to the left and is parked downhill just a slight bit as well. I did barely top it off as I was careful not to do much as it has backed out in the past when doing so. It looks like a good amount of fuel.

Starting to think the van Gods don't like me...especially after finding a new oil leak in the rear axle today at the same time. I'm guessing all these leaks are popping up since the van wasn't driven much and now the seals are failing. Still got a manifold leak to repair in addition.

Thanks for the input on the gas leak.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:58 pm

Im suprised it ran out of the feul door,, If mine does that it runs down the inside alittle, how is it set up behind that door? pic? Is there clearcoat on the paint , sometimes that stuff doesnt agree with gasoline either.
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:59 pm

Wow, that sucks! So sorry.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Do these gas tanks have the tank vent tube like our econolines on top of the tank or does it vent back to the filler neck. If it has vent tube on top is it pinched off or plugged causing tank to pressureize and force gas up the filler neck.. Just a thought...
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:44 pm

Thats the problem. No air space in the midle, just a flat top and the surge hose is right next the the filler bung lower then the tank top. IF the van in lower on the left side when you fill it it will realy puke when it levels off.
    Newer tanks have an air dome in the top midle and that where the surge hose conects to prevent this problem.

Can anyone explain this one? Dscn0813

M1D
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:12 pm

Digz wrote:Im suprised it ran out of the feul door,, If mine does that it runs down the inside alittle, how is it set up behind that door? pic? Is there clearcoat on the paint , sometimes that stuff doesnt agree with gasoline either.

Digs, not positive on setup. I noticed after posting this that there was another large puddle perhaps halfway down the van, also on the same side. It was definitely gas but could have been there the day before as I got home at night. However; the gas door is no where near that spot, so I can't explain how that could happen because I couldn't have parked any further forward than the location you see.

My gas line is on the passenger side, but I have no idea how that gas filler door was reworked.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:21 am

If you used 2 , 5 ft sections to make the fuel line going back, check the union in the middle of them. I dont know if it is a temperature change thing or what but they might need to be retightened. I had mine do some weeping after like a month of running.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:03 am

The other thing is, when a vehicle is parked on a slope or angle of any kind, a fluid leak can run along the body and chassis parts and drip off in a completly different location then where it originated from.

Vehicles are made to handle slopes and angles while they are "running" but need to be a relitivly level ground when parked, especialy for periods of time like overnight. many seals are designed for operating needs and they don't seal when being flooded by fluid because they are not designed to handle a flood, just fumes and spray. When the vehicle is on an angle, especialy when not running the seals get cold and shrink and the weight of the shaft pushes to one side of the seal opening up a gap. Combined with the seal being flooded due to the vehicle being on an angle makes for leaks that are not because the vehicle has a problem but because the seal is being expected to do something it is not designed for.
    I have seen this kind of problem a hundred times, especialy with the "Off road" croud who think its cool to park their 4x4 up on some steep mound of dirt.

Parking your vehicle on a steep incline with nose up will almost garrentee fluid comeing out the trans tail shaft seal. Parking a vehicle with steep nose down will sometimes make for oil leaking out the front crankshaft seal. and finally parking your vehicle on a steep angle to one side or the other will just about garantee diff oil leaking into the brake drum causing the apearance of a bad axle seal. when really there is no problem with the seal.

The moral of the story is, save your self alot of grief and park your vehicle on level ground.

M1D
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:17 am

Like the other guys have said, it happens with these old vans. I filled mine up on the way to a car show last summer and put a little too much in it. It was parked leaning towards the drivers side, after an hour or so of warming in the sun it started leaking fuel out of the filler/overflow tube. I had to turn the van around so the filler pipe was uphill Cool

No I watch the fuel gauge and only fill it to a little over 3/4 of a tank so there's room to expand.

eta: I dont know why it took your paint off, maybe its a repaint?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Can anyone explain this one? Empty curious=??

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:57 am

Im curious as to if you had or put? any fuel system additive in the gas?? Also - just a comment from an old guy that used to paint cars for a living= The =old style straight enemel paint jobe were very succeptable to this damage from fuels. the acrylic enamels also and even the same with hardners in the enamels =will do this as it takes a few months in warm weather to actually dry (harden) and will stay plyable (plastic state). Stains & erosion will happen today with the additives already in the fuels. Sad = you have had so many negative things happen with this van.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:25 am