VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Motor mount and Engine fun

EcoPU
    EcoPU

Number of posts : 104
    Registration date : 2013-08-28

Motor mount and Engine fun Empty Motor mount and Engine fun

Post by EcoPU Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:51 pm

289 -  c6ae-6015-c - 6L15 , going to replace the motor mounts. Can anyone confirm these look like the early 64-66 motor mounts for a mustang (told this is where the 289 came out of).

Motor mount and Engine fun 2015-011

Motor mount and Engine fun 2015-012

Like these:
    http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/mump-1302-how-to-identify-and-choose-engine-mounts/photo-gallery/#7

Also concerned I don't have much space above the trans/engine:
    Motor mount and Engine fun 2015-010

1964 pickup

Last edited by EcoPU on Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
    EcoPU
    EcoPU

Motor mount and Engine fun Empty Re: Motor mount and Engine fun

Post by EcoPU Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:58 pm

I'm thinking of swapping the block for a later 302 roller block. Also going to get aluminum heads and a new cam.

Motor mount and Engine fun 2015-013

Motor mount and Engine fun 2015-014
    EcoPU
    EcoPU

Post by EcoPU Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:00 pm

Motor mount and Engine fun 2015-015
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:38 am

EcoPu,,,,,sorry I didn't see your name or the year,, however from the one picture it looks like you have an early as no hump in the back of the doghouse....  IF SO,,,, I am suspicious that you are using the weak donut mount as you have NO clearance.....
      I have been doing conversions for more years than I want to admit and have done many earlies. I am going on the suspicion that you are using the donut mount?? The reason why I designed and came up with a transmission cross member to get rid of both the weak donut mount as well as that it does not allow you to mount the engine as you would like to.  Using the correct tail stock and the transmission cross member solving all of those issues at once. I also make the V8 engine cross member that sets the engine height as well as the correct drive line angle. 
      When using both cross members it allows me to set the engine and the bell housing height correctly. The earlies with one only inboard frame mount roughly 4" rear ward of the lates frame mount location. 
      I have two early e pups here with V8 conversions in them right now that I am fixing the previous installations from,,,  LOL..
      Also,, I have every tail stock or transmission for ours that you can think of in stock to include a 240 3spd manual with a donut mount tail stock on it,  1964 C4 donut mount tail stocks and output shafts as well as the big bell C4 with a donut mount tail stock on them and the under transmission mount type short solid output yoke C4 tail stocks that I use with my transmission cross members.
     Not sure how or what you have used??  and so scared of spending a lot of time for nothing in the wrong direction simply trying to help someone,,,  ( not liking to be called "arrogant") again.
     In regards to the mounts,, I use a combination of mounts that I spent a lot of time figuring out for my cross member and all of the 221,260, 289, 302 and the 351W all of these Windsor blocks using the exact same mount setup on the blocks. The differences are in the mounts with some having different offsets or type of mounting. When I designed my V8 x member I designed it so that the studs slip in without having to loosen a mount and they are self centering in my pads.. Using a "PartsMaster" 2007 motor mount catalog. (I am a parts catalog fanatic)
       Also some suggestions that I have been mentioning for a very long time that may help you?? I use the Motorcraft SHORT NOSED water pump as it gains you a LOT of room for electric fans and radiators. Specifically in that I prefer the 240 radiator converted over to a four row and using the Taurus two speed fan and shroud. It said to put out  a whopping 4200 cfm and comes with a fan shroud for a cost of about $18 bucks at half price sale..... LOL,,,, it fits directly up to the 240 radiator.  IF YOURS IS AN EARLY??   your doghouse will 1 3/4" shorter in height than a late but you can still use the 240 radiator. Its much larger than the Mustang that everyone has been trying to use and DOES NOT WORK!! 
     ALSO,,, years ago I came up with the 3G alternator if you haven't heard about it also,, its important to remember you will need to keep up with the electrical drain and using the 3G allows for 90 amps AT IDLE!!   the stock alternators will not put out enough juice to keep up with the drain unless you have your foot on the gas pedal keeping the engine up to about 1500 rpm's...  making no sense adding heat trying to keep the fan running at full CFM.   Also, HIGHLY suggested that you box the doghouse as that ALWAYS also seems to be a regret from many that dont listen to the suggestion and always complain later on.  
      ALSO, the remote fan cooled transmission cooler, again let me know if you haven't heard about that as trying to keep this post as short as I can,,,,, LOL  (never works). Here are a few pictures,, LOL
    Vic

Motor mount and Engine fun 100_0610

Motor mount and Engine fun 100_1118

Motor mount and Engine fun 100_1214

Motor mount and Engine fun 100_1113

Motor mount and Engine fun 100_1014

Motor mount and Engine fun 100_1212

Motor mount and Engine fun 100_1311

Motor mount and Engine fun 100_1114

Motor mount and Engine fun 100_1115

Motor mount and Engine fun 17510

Motor mount and Engine fun 302_in10

Motor mount and Engine fun 100_1116

Motor mount and Engine fun 100_1117

Motor mount and Engine fun 100_1213

Motor mount and Engine fun 110   

Motor mount and Engine fun Photo510
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:59 am

Forgot also,,,  I have three V8's here building for trucks,,, one to include a roller block.  It came out of a Mountaineer and had the GT40P cast iron heads on it. Roll over and way totaled, speedo said 73,000 miles on it. I dumped all the fuely stuff and got it very cheap. 
      After a LOT OF RESEARCH finding out that the amount of work and money to put into those heads I might as well buy some GOOD aluminum heads NOT the cheap ones from China,,,,  and so bought a set for that block.  Thinking that everyone wanted the GT heads I thought I was in,, NOT,,,,, seems a lot of other people already finding out how hard headers were to find for those heads on top of the pedestal rockers, etc, etc, etc,,,
      So,,, getting ready to put it together,, Found a great deal on some GOOD aluminum heads, and a brand new Billet specialties unit to include the 3G alternator, short water pump, the small power steering pump setup and power steering,,, very anxious...
      Sorry forgot to mention also,, I make a shift rod TO shift cable conversion setup, throttle cable setup and the angled oil filter adapters, one with an auxiliary oil cooler and one without, also the C6 solid output yoke short tail stocks..
    vic
    EcoPU
    EcoPU

Post by EcoPU Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:54 pm

Thank you for taking the time to share all that information with me Vic. It is an early 1964, with a 1966 289, and I assume same era c4. I want to go to an AOD, but with how the original mounts are done, I'm not sure it would fit.

I've upgraded:
    Alternator to a 140max / 80a idle powermaster unit.
    High torque mini-starter
    3 core aluminum radiator with a Flex-a-lite Steel 7-Blade 17" Engine Fan. No heat problems

I just bought a new high flow water pump, true roller timing set, and oil pump. I was going to do the head gasket.....but then.....

I took the old iron pig 302 heads off and thought I should replace them with Aluminum one's (RHS or Flow-tek smaller budget)....but now....

I don't know if I want to upgrade the 1966 289 block, or save up and get a nicer block (Dart SHP), or a 347 block. Something that can take a roller cam.

So, I'm back to the parts I know I need to replace (engine mounts). Figuring out how to make a little more room on the drivers side for the headers to not be so tight.

Engine Mount
    Motor mount and Engine fun 2015-017

Extends further
    Motor mount and Engine fun 2015-018

Transmission Mount
    Motor mount and Engine fun 2015-019

External Transmission filter and cooler (leaked on install then I fixed it)
    Motor mount and Engine fun 2015-020

Think I'm going to have to cut a bit out here
    Motor mount and Engine fun 2015-021

I also think, I may need to learn to weld..

Thanks
    Andrew
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:07 pm

Andrew,,,  at the risk of being called arrogant I would like to help you with all that I have learned since 1st putting in a V8 in 1966.  That with a LOT OF MISTAKES,,, LOL I now also have a collection of re do's of some pretty absurd installs over the years for my museum,,, point being,, done a few and have seen quite a few and so I have learned a lot from others mistakes.
      SO,,,,,, as I have plenty of work to do, I dont want to get into any spiffs over stupid stuff...Today with another few on the phone,,,, WOW.....
      Also,, its really hard to read the whole post when replying a long one, and so some may think it as rambling but its hard to look at it and keep it on track,, sorry if so,,,, important part is to be detailed in order for people to understand it and at the same time it may save some valuable work time spent on the keyboard,,,, LOL

To avoid confusion as some people dont know,,, and EARLY is considered from 1961 to 1964 and a TON of information there,,,, A LATE is considered from 1965 to 1967 and a GENII considered from 1968 to 1974 as we use some of their parts also for ours.

IMO,,, from your pictures..  Whoever did the install was on the right track in using two cross members. The faults being how both of them are built as well as using the wrong tail stock on the transmission. The oil cooler on the right track except for it can ONLY WORK if the truck is moving and even at that with no direct air flow going through it.

ENGINE CROSS MEMBER:     LOTS of information here for you and the others but for this subject you have one only inboard frame mount on each side of the truck and not two like the "lates" have.The lates with two one on  each side of the truck (one inboard and one outboard) with these two sandwiching the frame and are also about 4" FORWARD of where you present single mount is located. 
     Its very hard to beat the strength and the mounting of the lates and so I use the lates x member core and cut the towers off of them, making no difference if a 170 or a 240,, doesn't matter.. I built a jig fixture using a plastic mock up engine and transmission and so the engine height, centering and drive shaft angle are already figured out to fabricate new towers in place on that core.  Its all figured out already....HOWEVER as your frame mount is rear ward of where of the lates location I use the front hole on your existing mount and bolt it to the rear bolt hole on the new cross member. This places the engine as far forward as you can go without the tie rod on the front axle coming up and hitting the front of the oil pan,, (keep in mind that when the spring collapses the axle also moves rear ward towards the oil pan)... The sides of the frame ARE TAPERED and so when people try to use angle iron for a new frame mount it angles the bottom mounting surface at an angle also,j........(d-h),, so I typically use late model frame mounts that I cut out of scrapped trucks as they have the angle built into them OR I construct new ones in place out of two pieces welded together on the truck to get it correctly.  This being what I do on an early by welding a plate from the front of the existing mount forward to the front of the new cross member mounting plate. Then I weld in a bottom piece to that piece to match where the new forward bolt needs to go. Drill a hole in firstly,, bolt it together of where it needs to be with a gap at the intersection of those two pieces for your welding. The picture showing how I used to do it years ago with the extra pieces welded in for strength...(not needed) 
      What you end up with is,,,,,  four bolt mounting points in the correct position in order to use a full strength engine cross member in the correct position and drive line angle...

TRANSMISSION CROSS MEMBER:   Using a transmission cross member on an early gives you the advantage of being able to set the bell housing clearance and drive line angle. Yours looks to be fairly stout (?) from what I can see. I make one that swivels and follows what you are doing and at the same time expands or contracts allowing you to also center the transmission. Our trucks with the crank shaft centerline exactly in the center.  If I see yours correctly it looks like the car type tail stock hiding in the background.. LOL There being two issues with it. The 1st is that the drive shaft ends up being so short (ours with a short wheel base AND the engine next to us) that drive line vibration becoming an issue and or difficult to get rid of.  The TRUCK type tailstock being much shorter which gives you a much longer drive shaft but ALSO the drive shaft is now supported by a ball bearing (still looking for my missing pics)...instead of a weaker bushing that usually ends up leaking also..... The short under mount type tail stock,, having the mount exactly in the same location but a shorter tail stock... I think I posted it but will again///?

TRANSMISSION COOLER:  ANY cooler needs something to exchange the heat to some other place. IE:  It needs air to go through it in order for it to work. If a vehicle isn't moving  there is little to NO air going through it. A fan operated cooler not caring if the truck is moving, sitting still in stop and go traffic or still running while your having brew!!  The remote fan cooled unit NOT adding heat to the present radiator load,, IE:  The century old comment,,, toasted the engine and also fried the tranny at the same time,,,

RADIATOR:  A lot of people trying to use the Mustang as its cheaper (just also getting some emails on that one AGAIN,,,,, even though they admitted having read my info before,, still tried and another one saying it didn't work,,?????????
      Our trucks have an oven inside the truck with no way to get the heat out of them and on top of that then we insulate them so we cant feel that heat??????????????????  Doesn't make much sense to me?? IE:  The larger the heat exchange surface area there is the better it will get rid of the heat. The late 240 radiator over 4"'s taller in height alone... IE:: more heat exchange area... Personally my favorite is the Chevy (forgive me) cross flow,,,, it cant be beat~~~ I have one waiting for me to use,,,,,,,,,,, also I have and use the 240 and have it bumped up to a four core. I also like the idea of its dimensions in that the Taurus ( found that one for us) is said to have 4200 CFM two speed fan. ( a some day? project is to make a unit to measure CFM correctly and test them all),,,,as it comes with a shroud that already fits the 240 radiator, is inexpensive and pulls the most of any fan I know of?? The two working really well.

DOGHOUSE:  The early is 1 3/4" shorter in height than a late, has no hump in the back of it for added bell housing clearance and air circulation. The early with two latches on it and the late with one. As yours is a e pup its much harder to add the hump to the rear of your cab. I am doing one for a customer right now, but no fun.  In a van its very easy.. 
       For sure open up the doghouse under the seats,, Not done on the Falcon van, advised to, and admitted a mistake,, I have heard it so many times,, please consider it. I support the seats with them, brace them under neath for strength in an accident. It allow you room for insulation as well as some air movement past the exhaust. Regardless of shorties or stock manifolds. Also,, remember that the early doghouse is shorter in height than the lates,,,, ALSO I plug weld a 5/16th thick by 1" wide piece on where the new box will bolt up to on the floor. After plug welding it in place then I drill the holes, bolt it together and tack weld the 5/16th nuts in place under the truck. Gets rid of the cage nuts that always spin,, This way,,,, the mounting surface is flush with the old floor height and it mounts cleanly.

vic,,,,,,,,,, aggravated over lost pictures,, dratzzz,, over 1,000 easily 

Motor mount and Engine fun Inside11

Motor mount and Engine fun 64411

Motor mount and Engine fun 100_1119

Motor mount and Engine fun Img_0110

Motor mount and Engine fun 000_0511

Motor mount and Engine fun Photo611

Motor mount and Engine fun Photo511

Motor mount and Engine fun 100_1120

Motor mount and Engine fun 100_1121

Motor mount and Engine fun 100_0510

Motor mount and Engine fun 100_1122

Motor mount and Engine fun 100_1215

Motor mount and Engine fun 100_1123
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:32 pm

Just took this picture of a 62 with a cracked frame. The 61 and the 62's with a thinner gauge metal than the later years.
    Vic

Motor mount and Engine fun 82610
    EcoPU
    EcoPU

Post by EcoPU Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:51 pm

Vic,

If I get your engine and trans cross member, can I fit an AOD in there?  I'd rather not mess with tracking down the c4 truck tailstock, if I can get an overdrive trans in there.

I'll redo the mounting on my trans cooler, when I drop the trans and engine, which it sounds like I need to do. Although the trans mount in there now, looks like it's not removable, I'll have to double check how they welded it up.

I've never welded before, maybe I can pickup a MIG and be able to do like the picture you show. Do you sell the piece i'd need to weld on, or is it just a cut to fit piece of metal?

Previous owner just put everything from a wrecked mustang he had in to the truck. The 289 in there now is a front sump.

Thank you for your time.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:35 pm

EcoPu,,,,   sorry for that I still dont see your name,,,  Thank you for understanding, lately its been getting  all out of shape. 
      Looks like I may have been correct in how your engine cross member is made? All under mount Ford transmissions pretty much use the same bolt pattern and so just about any under transmission type mount will bolt up. The differences in what they bolt up on the other side,,, With that, the C4, C6, the manuals AND the AOD sharing that bolt pattern. The short answer to your is yes,, it will bolt up to either your transmission cross member or mine also. Where your transmission mount PLACES the engine package in the 1st place is what is important as its already welded in and now not adjustable to where it really may need to be at?
      By using the two together you can adjust and fudge a little bit on the bell housing clearance issue as well as the drive line angles as you have no hump in the back of your doghouse and truck. Remembering of course that the centerline of the crank shaft is what all measurements need to be taken from and used.
      Your installation is pretty typical as I have seen quite a few that simply tried to use a car engine and transmission package,,, very common to see as there really was not anyone to ask or answer questions for.
      I purposely also look for and buy the truck tailstocks, both for the C4 and also the C6 as I understand why its important to buy or locate all that I can. Having now learned a lesson in not grabbing all the misc Econoline parts that were once common at the junk yards and now are no more. 
      I think the AOD is the way to go as the truck is very light and with more power than you need making the gearing options even easier. However,, there are no short solid output yoke tail stocks available for the AOD with the shortest length unit in the Mustangs and the Thunderbird's.  Also, you will want to use a non ECM controlled AOD because of the lock up converter and controlling it. If there is a wire loom going to it, its the wrong year. 
      The C4 is a very good transmission and the C6 while said to be stronger(?) uses up 15% in parasitic power loss. There are two solid output short tailstocks for it. Again,, all under transmission type mounts.
     The transmission x mbr comes with the metal in the kit and is nothing more than a piece of metal that you would drill the holes in. Also, as the frame is tapered I weld it in place and then bend it to 90 degrees with the bottom of the frame using a sledge hammer. Yes,, many questions on that one, and they all agree afterwards that it works perfectly, no issues and too easy. LOL...
      Regards to welding?????????  To me its easy but that's because I do it just about every day. Today a huge custom gate emergency job out of no wheres,,,, As your is a 64 at least the frame thickness is good, however I have still had them in here and can see where the person ended up chasing holes in the sheet metal. I use plug welds where ever I can as they add strength in the middle of the part the same as the spot welds did. In fact for the frame brackets I simply cut out the factory spot welds with a plasma torch. It cuts the spot weld out and at the same time leaves the new holes for the plug welds... I would get some help when you do the job or get someone to do it for you as I would hate to hear about your also chasing holes,,,
      Any auxiliary transmission cooler will be better than nothing. I first came out with that design in 1990 before it became popular or an OEM standard item on trucks. I make nothing on them as there is nothing for me to sell other than the idea. the main issue in our trucks is always heat,heat, heat. However all of this leading to a better alternator.
      Regardless of a small six or a V8 its stuffed into an oven. Also, the charging system is way outdated. All late model cars and trucks now using an alternator that will keep up with our new amperage needs so as to not drain the battery. 
      Vic,,,
    EcoPU
    EcoPU

Post by EcoPU Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:45 pm

Thanks Vic, How much is the engine crossmember kit? I'll have to find a mobile fab guy, not trying to get it towed.

Andrew
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:03 pm

Prefer to take that all of site if you understand.  The cores are getting difficult to locate now and the nothing I can do about the freight, especially if its two ways... PISSED off at UPS,, they need to come back to earth.  
     PM me for all that stuff if you want,, pictures are WAY much easier also,,
    vic

vlafountaine@socal.rr.com
    EcoPU
    EcoPU

Post by EcoPU Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:11 am

Not sure if this is the short tail house c4

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/5105009662.html

Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:47 am

Can't send pics house is tented and NO that's the long tail stock, LOL
    I HAVE Any And all the transmissions AS WELL AS also traumatically. VERY BUSY right now AND ALSO setting up for a fireworks show I am shooting Saturday night
    I have anything u can think of needing
    Thnx, Vic

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:00 pm