VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be

busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Empty Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be

Post by busman78 Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:08 pm

Doing a late model 360 Magnum conversion on what was a /6 van, the left valve cover hits the engine cover side panel and I feel the front of the engine is riding high on the mounts. Do these look like the right isolators? Engine too high? Does the /6 have a different side panel that a V8 model?

Right side mount
    Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Right_11

Left side mount
    Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Left_s11

Engine is a lot higher in front than rear
    Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Img_0512

Valve cover against left side panel
    Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Img_0513
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Empty Re: Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be

Post by RodStRace Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:00 pm

dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Empty Re: Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be

Post by dix Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:36 am

I'd agree  it's to high and out of center , i had the same problem  ,  what i did was yank the motor mounts,  leave the front fan off ,so you can move the engine left and right with a gas station type jack.
    use the jack  to lower it and move it left and or right to sit center and near level , then move the engine
    brackets around like rod mentioned one in front /one in back till you find what works,
    my mounts were to high also, went to napa started looking at mopar mounts,  the late 60's or early 70's
    valiant mount looks like the right size,I took those home and ground off the small centering  nipple.
    and it all worked well, the mount turned a little from no centering pin , but it's not a lot, once it moved,  it never moved again, that is what worked for me, hope all this helps My mission was to get the engine level, i'm not a engine builder but i wanted to keep the oil where the manufacturer wanted it . every engine you see always sits level,

Last edited by dix on Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:37 am

Okay, the brackets installed now are from a A100 van, I did modify the right bracket to work on a 360 Magnum since that engine is one ear short of a 318 engine. Here is a picture prior to cleaning up the weld, this is for the right side.
    Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Img_0310

Here is a picture of the truck mount ones installed, I was originally sold these with a set of frame brackets and they are almost 1" taller than the ones I am using now.
    Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be La_36010

Here is a couple side shots of the bracket installed now, they are A100 brackets, the isolators are Anchor 2338, so do any of you recall the part number of the rubber isolators you used?
    Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Right_12
    Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Left_m10

The engine is centered to the frame rails within 1/8" right to left, the tail shaft of the trans is also centered right to left in the frame rails. The opening in the floor is not equal right to left.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:35 am

only curious -in above pix=? if the engine was moved back - so the front mount ear -- was in front of the bracket- would  that also eliminate the washers installed??      bom

doing same to other side?
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:38 am

Actually tried that when setting this up since one of the brackets is suppose to be in front of the ear when installing a 318 LA engine, magnum version at least has the ears albeit slightly different. The front ear is wider than the stack of washers.The engine can not go back any, the trans mounts perfectly to the upper hanger.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:38 am

Thanks for the pics and the reply.

Looks like you did your homework and used the right parts, but it's still too high.
    I'd suggest either super thin insulators (maybe a rubber or urethane sheet and a thru bolt?), or building your own engine brackets that are shorter. I'd avoid modifying the body brackets if possible.
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:28 pm

Dix, you happen to have the part numbers for the isolators you used or a couple pictures?

Did a lot of surfing yesterday looking at pictures of V8's in these vans and any that showed the motor mount configuration. Might be wrong but it appears what I used is correct in that they are the right parts and Dodge for whatever reason sloped these engines, attached some pictures of "dodgeman" engine, but saw several others on this sight and on other sites. First two show the motor mounts and the last one the angle.

Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Dodge_10
    Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Dodge_11
    Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Dodge_12

There has got to be other V8 vanners, what do you have, straight or sloped?
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:11 am

let me see what i can find tonight after work,

Number of posts : 1148

Post by jkr Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:55 pm

magnum engine valve covers are quite a bit higher than the stamped steel ones on a "LA" style engine.
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:52 am

Don't have a set of LA covers to measure, but the magnum can not be any higher than the Mopar Aluminum covers and those fit in the confines of the doghouse.

So does anybody have measurements? Pictures or part number for the isolators they used?

dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:05 pm

napa 602-1170

Post by busman78 Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:58 pm

Thanks! Just picked up a set, turns out the NAPA 602-1170 are actually Westar EM-2265, bolt spacing appears to be the same as the EM-2338 which is a good thing, should not have to drill any new holes and the thickness is about 1/4" - 3/8" less in height.
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:32 pm

Dix, got the 2265 installed, engine now has a 3* angle and the carb is so close to zero (level) it can't get much better.

Did your mounts have this odd twist when mounted?

Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Img_0514
    Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Img_0515
    Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Img_0516
    Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Img_0517
    Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Img_0518
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:22 pm

no mine were not off like that. mine were off maybe 3/16 inch . is the engine laying flat on the mount of is one side carrying more weight than the other side?? the only option i can think of is to weld one of the bracket wholes and re drill a new whole??
    it will not take much time, maybe remove the mount and flip it sounds stupid but I've seen
    odder things than that, i'd be interested to hear what rod's input is. but he maybe racing all week end,
    just a nother thought maybe take the truck / van out around town let the motor settle in place and then try to loosen the nuts and turn the mount to the correct position, i'm just thinking out loud,
    I don't think the mount will last a long time with out support where it is hanging over in mid air, .
    sounds like were heading in the right direction with the engine sitting level now, !!!! If this sh*t was easy my wife would be doing it.Razz Razz

Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:27 pm

i thought i sent these the other day

Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Motor_13

Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Motor_14

Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Motor_15
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:42 pm

Unable to drive the van, still in the building/conversion process.

Noticed from your pictures that your isolators are in long ways top to bottom, to where I tried to install side to side like the thick originals, will raise the engine tomorrow and try to slide them sideways.

Did you have to drill you brackets (mounts)?
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:09 am

I did not drill anything, But using the newer motor must have moved the bolt location,
    maybe if you take the weight off the motor mounts losten the bracket bolts to let the
    engine settle in place trying to get the mount where you want it then tighten every thing up might help.

Post by busman78 Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:56 pm

Got them in, what a chore, not exactly plug and play. Ideal install would be with just a bare engine block, the engine or frame bracket should be re-drilled to match the pattern more closely for there is stress on both isolators, have better surface contact between both brackets to the isolator. Still have zero carb angle. Thanks!
    Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Img_0519
    Am I too high? Huh make the engine just might be Img_0520
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:53 pm

glad it all worked out. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 6:23 pm