VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Does a 292 fit ok? Are there issues? Rearend gear?

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

Does a 292 fit ok? Are  there issues? Rearend gear? Empty Does a 292 fit ok? Are there issues? Rearend gear?

Post by Skulptorchaz Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 am

I've been mainly chatting over in the for sale forum as I am currently looking for a van. (windowless) My intentions are to put a 292 six in it, I just had rebuilt, and a 700r4 behind it with a high rear end gear. I figure that way I "should" be able to pull down some decent gas mileage and have plenty of power.
    I was wondering if the 292 had any issues fitting in since it is a taller block? I think it will probably need in a 3 core radiator for cooling and maybe an electric fan if necessary. I'm not wanting to "reinvent the mouse trap", so if someone has some experience in this dept. I'd appreciate the tips. The work will be no problem as I have a welding/fab shop and build a few cars now and again.
    Also, what is the typical rear end gear? A friend tells me they are typically rather "low". If that is the case, do any of you know what length they are or what rear end I can swap? Full size truck? S-10??
    Thanx a bunch for the help and looking in!
    Chaz
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Does a 292 fit ok? Are  there issues? Rearend gear? Empty Re: Does a 292 fit ok? Are there issues? Rearend gear?

Post by AzDon Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:17 pm

Since you are starting with an engine that you already have, I'd hafta just say GO FOR IT!
    Several guys here have pointed out that the engine/trans needs to be lowered a couple of inches for case clearance of a 700r4, so the extra height of the engine may not be an issue..... You can use morse/teleflex 33c/43c cables for throttle and shift and there are lots of radiator and fan choices that will work if the stock stuff won't......The SPID tag on my 69 108 van is glued to the inside sheet metal about eye level above where the spare would go on the right inside the back door.....On mine it shows the diff ratio as 3.73....... This is a v-8 model, so this may be the more "highway" end of the gear choices (not sure)......Another way to determine gear ratio quickly is to put a ziptie around the driveshaft with the tail pointing at a reference point, mark a tire at the bottom, and push the van for one tire rotation and see how many times the ziptie goes around (if its over four, you'll likely be unhappy with highway speeds........ Rear ends: Chevy, Buick and Olds wagons 91-96 have rears 1" longer, drum to drum, than the stock van unit.... Most of these are posis ranging from 2.56 to 3.42.... I'm looking for one from a 91 with 305 because the ratio is most likely a 3.23.......SPID tags on these wagons is inside the tailgate and would indicate G80 for Posi and GU5 for 3.23......
    Not sure I shared anything useful.....Good Luck with your project!
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Does a 292 fit ok? Are  there issues? Rearend gear? Empty Re: Does a 292 fit ok? Are there issues? Rearend gear?

Post by Skulptorchaz Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:29 pm

Thanx for the heads up! Lowering the drive line for the trany is good to know up front.
    Also, I think I'd rather find a shorter, rather than longer trany. I believe it would help in the facilitation of wider tires. I wanted something around a 300 gear as well.
    A triangulated 4 link for the rear could be a possibility also. I like big fat feet and slammed. Tubbing is easy.
    Thanx buddy!!!
    Chaz
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:54 pm

92-96 Buick Roadmaster sedans are said to have rears that are 2" narrower than the wagons (so 1" narrower than a van) All of those cars have triangulated four-link and coils, but I'll likely cut all that stuff off and install leaf spring pads.....The 94-96 cars had LT1's, so they have the more economy ratios (because they had the guts to pull them)
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:04 am

Excellent! Good stuff!
    I'm not sure I would do the 4 link either but it is a possibility. I like'em low but I have to be able to use it as well. I'd have to bag it to get it as low as I would like. That gets salty.
    Thanx again for the good info!!
    Chaz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 12:56 pm