VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Vantasia
66e100pu
econopoor
weirdbeard
8 posters

Seat Belts

weirdbeard
    weirdbeard
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2374
    Registration date : 2014-04-15

Seat Belts Empty Seat Belts

Post by weirdbeard Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:09 am

I was considering putting in a 3 point seat belts in the front of my 64 econoline. I wanted to see if anyone else has done this and what did the get the seat belts out of that would work.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Seat Belts Empty Re: Seat Belts

Post by econopoor Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:30 am

I did this in both my 61 and 67 pickups. On the 61 I went with new belts from Wisco. I had a new interior and I wanted nice, clean belts to go with it. What I bought were van/motorhome style belts that have extensions to put the mounting points in the correct positions. It's important that the shoulder belt be at shoulder height. The buckle also has an extension on it that gets it up between the doghouse and seat. I'm very happy with these.

Seat Belts DSC09451-vi

On my 67 I went the cheap route. I bought some surplus belts from a Hummer. These don't have the extensions on them. I had to build a bracket to go between the roof rail and door post to get the shoulder belt at shoulder height. I am fairly tall and my seats are further back than stock. This also puts my shoulder further back. That's why I needed the bracket. I wish I would have ordered another set of the Wesco belts. I still may switch them. Much easier to install.

If I was looking for a set of used belts I would search vans and motorhomes for the belts with the extensions.

Wesco

Search the Wesco site. They have a lot of info on belt installation and hardware to help with your installation.

Duane in Tennessee.
    66e100pu
    66e100pu

Number of posts : 199
    Registration date : 2011-04-02

Post by 66e100pu Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:39 pm

X-2 on Wesco. I've done 2 E-100s and an A-100 with their belts. The "drop" puts the belt at the right shoulder height. They make a receptacle side extension (look under accessories) that make the install around the doghouse simple. With purchase and shipping they are not cheap, but they are the only thing I've found they get the job done right. Belts are like brakes and steering, not something you want to make work because the price was right.
    weirdbeard
    weirdbeard

Post by weirdbeard Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:38 am

I decided on going with lap belts for now, when I get more cash I may upgrade to the Wesco 3 point belts.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:03 am

3-point belts are a must these days...Agree on the Hummers!  I used surplus US Army H-1 HumVee belt kits, top quality belts, found all over eBay for under $50 shipped and you get all kinds of mounting hardware, grade 8 shoulder bolts, etc. included. Look at these, I put them in my Chevy but should work in any vehicle. I used the mounting blocks to reinforce behind the pillars for the mounts and the retractors are top of the line.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/THREE-POINT-SEAT-BELT-KIT-HUMMER-HMMWV-MUD-TRUCK-VW-BUG-ROCK-CRAWLER-SWAMP-BUG-/111424773768?hash=item19f16f1e88&vxp=mtr
    These are the best belts for the money you can find....
    weirdbeard
    weirdbeard

Post by weirdbeard Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:16 am

I just bought them, thanks Vantasia for the heads up. You are right 3 points are the way to go.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:02 am

weirdbeard wrote:I just bought them, thanks Vantasia for the heads up.  You are right 3 points are the way to go.
    Yer welcome, its a really good deal, wait until see all the hardware and brackets, very handy stuff in that kit.  With these close windshields and non absorbing steering columns, you need all the protection you can get.  If you got the same kit, it comes with alloy post plates and boxes that have pressed in inserts for the bolts, they make great backing plates inside your pillars for anchor points for the top and retractors.  I just trimmed them to fit and held them in place with the pop-rivets that come in the kit! BTW, I see yopu are NJ, you going to Caz's van show July 18? not too far from you? I hope to be there, look in the Events section of forum for details.
    weirdbeard
    weirdbeard

Post by weirdbeard Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:50 am

If I have my van on the road by then i will be there. Again thanks for the heads up on the seatbelts.
    aubreys
    aubreys

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2015-06-23

Post by aubreys Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:14 am

Seat belts are necessary for vans and it highly safe and secure for the passengers. So use seat belts now.
    VanHoosierdaddies
    VanHoosierdaddies

Number of posts : 97
    Registration date : 2015-12-28

Post by VanHoosierdaddies Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:06 pm

Just bought a set of the Wesco seat belts for the front two seats on my 61 Econoline Club Wagon. Ill let you all know how that goes, they look simple enough. Has anyone installed these three point seat belts in the rear two rows? Lap belts will work while my kids are in car seat because the seats have the 4 point harnesses built in, however my 9 year old is out of a seat and I would like him to have a three point belt as well if at all possible.

Thanks,

Jerry
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:54 am

econopoor wrote:I did this in both my 61 and 67 pickups. On the 61 I went with new belts from Wisco. I had a new interior and I wanted nice, clean belts to go with it. What I bought were van/motorhome style belts that have extensions to put the mounting points in the correct positions. It's important that the shoulder belt be at shoulder height. The buckle also has an extension on it that gets it up between the doghouse and seat. I'm very happy with these.

Seat Belts DSC09451-vi

On my 67 I went the cheap route. I bought some surplus belts from a Hummer. These don't have the extensions on them. I had to build a bracket to go between the roof rail and door post to get the shoulder belt at shoulder height. I am fairly tall and my seats are further back than stock. This also puts my shoulder further back. That's why I needed the bracket. I wish I would have ordered another set of the Wesco belts. I still may switch them. Much easier to install.

If I was looking for a set of used belts I would search vans and motorhomes for the belts with the extensions.

Wesco

Search the Wesco site. They have a lot of info on belt installation and hardware to help with your installation.

Duane in Tennessee.

Ditto again if anyone still looking, used the surplus Hummer sets found on eBay for my G-van, should work in a Ford too...you gets lots of different bolts and mounting plates you can adapt in those kits too, look for the complete kit!  Look at this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THREE-POINT-SEAT-BELT-KIT-HUMMER-HMMWV-MUD-TRUCK-VW-BUG-ROCK-CRAWLER-SWAMP-BUG-/111424773768?hash=item19f16f1e88:g:2fUAAOSwxH1T26B1&vxp=mtr

Great deal for $$$...those bracket plates with the insets for the shoulder bolts make for a real nice install and the belts are top quality.  Search the threads here, several pics showing installs.
    Riconine
    Riconine

Number of posts : 53
    Registration date : 2016-01-03

Seat Belts Empty Ebay Hummer Belts

Post by Riconine Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:13 pm

I just got the package with the seat belts. WOW!!! That's alot of hardware. Box weights about 40 lbs.
    Actually came with 4 complete seat belts. I'll be putting 2 in my '67 G-panel.
    Thanks for the info.
    Cheers - Ric Cool

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Three-Point-Seat-Belt-Hummer-Rock-Crawler-Mud-Buggy-Rat-Rod-/222017132709?hash=item33b14098a5:g:t54AAOSwG-1WtoBB&vxp=mtr
    VanHoosierdaddies
    VanHoosierdaddies

Post by VanHoosierdaddies Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:12 am

Hello All,

So I received my seat belts from Wesco, really impressed so far with the quality and the mounting hardware kit.  I am looking at the installation instructions and they recommend mounting the three point mount towards the back of the seat back and 0-8 inches above the seat back.  As you can see from the picture that is pretty much right in the middle of a window.  Where would you all recommend mounting the top mount?  I would like to keep the belt from hanging in front of the side window, just for asthetics, but if this is the safest place I will have to live with it.  Also, above the window appears to be single wall to the outside, so nowhere really to mount to as far as I can tell.  Let me know your thoughts.

Seat Belts 20160210
    VanHoosierdaddies
    VanHoosierdaddies

Post by VanHoosierdaddies Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:29 pm

Any thoughts here guys?
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:27 am

That picture is kind of confusing, is that the shroud for the belt?
    VanHoosierdaddies
    VanHoosierdaddies

Post by VanHoosierdaddies Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:17 am

Hey seth, the seat belts are not pictured. You are looking at the drivers seats and the side triangle window. I believe I have to create an upper seat belt mount in that area somewhere. I'll try to hold the seat belt up there and see if the helps.

Thanks,

Jerry
    VanHoosierdaddies
    VanHoosierdaddies

Post by VanHoosierdaddies Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:20 pm

Hello All,

Here is another picture with me holding the seat-belt up in the area where I think it has to mount.  This is the only area up above that is double walled where I can attach to without going through to the outside.  Unless folks have added a metal plate between this spot and the rear post behind the driver seat to mount to, I am talking about the area directly above the triangle window, hopefully you can see how it is only single walled, if that's the right description(?). Where I am holding this in the picture puts the belt just in front of the driver seat, instructions state it should be towards the rear of the seat, is that an issue you think?

Seat Belts 20160211

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:03 am