VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Seat Belts

southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Seat Belts Empty Seat Belts

Post by southern man Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:24 pm

I bought a set of new 2 point belts awhile back and until today hadn't given a great deal of thought about mounting them. I knew there was a hole behind the rear mount for the seats on each side and I found one floor post (with the bolt intact) on the passenger side (near the doghouse) but not a sign of one on the driver side.

So, where does the inboard belt anchor on the driver's side?

I also, mistakenly, assumed the threaded holes on the wheel well were the same size as the seat mounts, but now I find that they are larger (I assume for the heavier stress a seat belt might impose). The bolt that fits in the floor mount doesn't want to thread into the wheel well socket.

Anyone know what bolts will fit?
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Seat Belts Empty Re: Seat Belts

Post by Big W Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:56 pm

I found on both my 66 and my 67 that the same bolt hole had both sides of the belt bolted to it. One bolt holding both doesn't make sense but that's how mine were. Now I don't no if that's the way it's suppose to be, but there are no more holes big enough to fit the bolt hole of the belt bracket that bolts to the floor. So I think it's right. scratch
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:09 pm

all american & imported vehicles had to have seat belts installed by mfg's in 1965=Mandatory safety thingy - Thats why many vehicles built before that dates didnt have seatbelts or owners did install them later for safety .[i]
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:15 pm

So does one hole for both sides of the belt seem right then or did someone just bolt them in where they saw fit? Behind the seat about half way down the wheel well?
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:41 pm

Mine is a '64. I thought that was the first year lap belts were mandatory, at least for the front seats, but it could have been '65.

I don't think a single anchor point for both belts is correct. My aftermarket belts had big warnings about not doing that very thing.

I have my driver's side inboard belt bolted under the rear inboard seat bracket, right next to the dog house. It will work but not sure I want to leave it there. Will probably drill a hole in the floor similar to the passenger seat and install a big bolt and large washers, top and bottom, for extra strength.

Anyone know what size the fender mount bolts are?
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:17 pm

ya that's what I was thinking as well. I was thinking of putting a piece of 1/4 inch flat of some size welded under the floor, then drilling through it for a seat belt bolt for the inbourd seat belt bracket. I'll still use the wheel hump spot for the outer bracket...now that's if I use stock seats. My new seats have half the seat belt allready mounted on the seat, so I'll have to re-look at it next spring when I will put in the seats.
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:45 pm

PLEASE! Does anyone know what size the seat belt bolts on the wheel well are??? Thanks!!!
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:28 pm

OK, update. The Bolts for the seat brackets have a 9/16 head and can fit "just" inside the seat belt hole immediately behind it on the wheel well. The bolt that came with the seat belts has a 5/8" head and seems to have a 7/16 stud with fine (too fine) threads (I think in the 10-12 range). So I bought the same 7/16 bolt in a 14 thread size. But it doesn't want to bite, even though I think it's the right diameter. Anyone care to guess if I'm on the right track, and just need to hit the thread size? I wish I had a good selection to try from, but I don't.
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:53 pm

I had a look at mine at it has a 13/16 inch head with a thread size of what appears to be 7/16 across the threads.. It would appear to be a fine thread. In the pic up so close it looks like course thread..
    Seat Belts Dsc00336
    Seat Belts Dsc00337
    I hope this helps
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:29 am

The head is certainly bigger than what I've been trying, but I think the 7/16" for the shaft seems to be correct. I'm thinking the thread size might be about in the middle of what I've been trying. (I mistakenly glued my Fred Carello carpet sets onto the wheel wells already, thinking this wasn't going to be an issue.) Now I can only see the threads from underneath, and it's not exactly a good view.

Thanks for the photos!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 12:58 pm