VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

New from Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada

vern01
    vern01

Number of posts : 32
    Registration date : 2015-05-29

New from Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada Empty New from Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada

Post by vern01 Sat May 30, 2015 6:50 am

Looking forward to learning a thing or two from the site, particularly the Econoline folks. We are new to the Econoline world as we recently acquired a 61 Econoline 3 window and a 67 Econoline 5 window. Hopefully we can add a little as well to the site.

We could use some help with the decoding of the serial number on our 61, it appears to be Canadian built in Oakville in April 61according to some of the data we have searched, however some confusion comes up regarding the engine date portion of the serial number, claiming assembly in 64???

We understand assembly mover from Oakville to Lorain after 61. A search of the numerical sequence of assembly indicates assembly in April 61, is it possible the chassis/body was built in Canada and shipped for completion ti the US?

Vern Saskatoon , Saskatchewan, Canada
    vern01
    vern01

New from Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada Empty Re: New from Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada

Post by vern01 Sat May 30, 2015 6:52 am

here is the serial #6901190L-160597A this should make my request for assistance decoding it easier now that I have included it

Vern
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

New from Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada Empty Re: New from Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada

Post by Joe Van Sat May 30, 2015 8:51 am

Welcome to VV Vern..!!!... cheers ..Good luck on your search....

Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Sat May 30, 2015 11:04 am

Unfortunately, less is known about the Canadian data than the US data.

If it was truly a Canadian 1961, then the engine code would be S for 144 engine and T for the 170 engine, just like it was for the US made Econolines.  Starting in 1962 they added a year code to the engine code, P=1962, Q-1963, R-1964, S-1965, making a two-digit code.  
    For 1961 to 1963, S=144 and T=170.  In 1964 it changed to Y=144, Z=170, and P=240.

Thus your RZ engine code indicates a 170 engine assembled in 1964.  
    Note that the Canadian model year was based on the calendar your, not the US model year.
    Does your Econoline have any 1965 features?

Prior to somewhere around 1962, the part of the VIN with the L at the end was on the right, and the part with the A at the end was on the left.  If yours has the L on the left and the A on the right, then it is 1962 or later.

195,001 is the beginning of the 1965 models.
    The 1964 models started around 140,000. I do not have the exact number.
    Your 160,597 is in the middle of the 1964 year.

Where did you find the Numerical Sequence of Assembly data?  I am always looking for more data to help decode the Econolines.  If anyone has a different source of information than I have presented, I would love to hear about it.

Welcome to the world of Vintage Econolines!
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sat May 30, 2015 9:38 pm

Welcome to VV Vern. Happy to see another Toontown member in here. There are now 4 members from the Saskatoon area. I guess we better start a club...lol. Anyway, you came to the right place for help. Post a pic when you can, we would love to see your trucks. I may have already seen them if you bought the ones I think you bought.
    vern01
    vern01

Post by vern01 Sun May 31, 2015 6:33 am

Barnabas wrote:Unfortunately, less is known about the Canadian data than the US data.

If it was truly a Canadian 1961, then the engine code would be S for 144 engine and T for the 170 engine, just like it was for the US made Econolines.  Starting in 1962 they added a year code to the engine code, P=1962, Q-1963, R-1964, S-1965, making a two-digit code.  
    For 1961 to 1963, S=144 and T=170.  In 1964 it changed to Y=144, Z=170, and P=240.

Thus your RZ engine code indicates a 170 engine assembled in 1964.  
    Note that the Canadian model year was based on the calendar your, not the US model year.
    Does your Econoline have any 1965 features?

Prior to somewhere around 1962, the part of the VIN with the L at the end was on the right, and the part with the A at the end was on the left.  If yours has the L on the left and the A on the right, then it is 1962 or later.

195,001 is the beginning of the 1965 models.
    The 1964 models started around 140,000. I do not have the exact number.
    Your 160,597 is in the middle of the 1964 year.

Where did you find the Numerical Sequence of Assembly data?  I am always looking for more data to help decode the Econolines.  If anyone has a different source of information than I have presented, I would love to hear about it.

Welcome to the world of Vintage Econolines!

Thank you for the timely and informative reply to my VIN question. Apparently what I led myself to understand may be a 61 is infact a 64. I was misleading myself with some numbers I found that were from econoline IDthat were for 61 Lorain built serials.
    You mentioned "Does the unit have any 65 features?" can you expand on that and enlighten me more?
    As well the paint code is 19, I got nothing, I know the US codes are letters, numbers or both. This 64 has no remains anywhere of paint, it did have a beige interior from what the search found.
    Once again thank you for all efforts to answer the new guys curiousity
    vern01
    vern01

Post by vern01 Sun May 31, 2015 6:42 am

Big W wrote:Welcome to VV Vern. Happy to see another Toontown member in here. There are now 4 members from the Saskatoon area. I guess we better start a club...lol. Anyway, you came to the right place for help. Post a pic when you can, we would love to see your trucks. I may have already seen them if you bought the ones I think you bought.

Another Toontown enthusiast, I am sure we will get hooked up eventually. The econolines are a long ways from mobile, but if you frequent the local show and shines ,or you go to Auto Clearing Motor Speedway at all you will have watched us race, we run the #01 Family Pizza ProTruck.
    The 67, 5 window was purchased recently from north of Martinsville[blue/white]. The 64, 3 window came from Rosedale Alberta
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun May 31, 2015 8:48 am

Ah ok...The Martinsville truck I believe I've seen. So what are your plans...build both or or one for parts? Let me know what you need for parts...and if I have extra I can try and help.
    Barnabas
    Barnabas

Post by Barnabas Sun May 31, 2015 12:28 pm

vern01 wrote:You mentioned "Does the unit have any 65 features?" can you expand on that and enlighten me more?
    As well the paint code is 19, I got nothing, I know the US codes are letters, numbers or both. This 64 has no remains anywhere of paint, it did have a beige interior from what the search found.

Canadian paint codes were all two digits. Normally both of the digits are the same meaning a single color over the entire vehicle, but in cases like yours (19), it indicates the inside paint is different from the outside paint.  I can not find 1 or 9 on my Canadian paint code list.  It is possible this was a special-order Econoline with a custom paint scheme. Your door tag does list a special order number, so that makes a special color possible.

I see 5 Econolines in the database with Canadian paint color 19. One is an Air Force truck.  15 Econoline have 1 as the first color digit, and 12 have 9 as the second digit.  It is interesting that 1 and 9 are never used together for a solid color, like 11 or 99, which means 1 and 9 are always part of a two-tone color scheme, or 19 represented a specific color like Air Force gray.

Differences between 1964 and 1965.
    1964 has 2 latches to open the doghouse lid. 1965 has one latch.  In 1965 there is a hump in the floor behind the doghouse. The floor is actually raised up about 5 inches.  In 1964, the floor under the doghouse is flat.
    1964 heater was screwed to the floor and scooped air from under the van just behind the grill.  The 1965 heater was mounted under the dash and did not touch the floor. It pulled in outside air through the vent next to the right headlight.  The 1964 heater controls were on the heater case.  The 1965 heater controls were on the dash to the right of the ash tray.

Apparently the Canadian model year was January to December, whereas the US model year was August to August.  It is possible you have a 1964 Canadian Econoline that is similar in design to a 1965 US Econoline, or you might truly have a 1964 Econoline.  If you start looking for parts, you might need to find out what US model year you have, since that is what most of us are referencing.

Does your transmission has the removable cover on the top or the left side?  The side-cover model was used for US Econolines from 1961 to 1962, but were apparently used on the Canadian models through 1964.
    vern01
    vern01

Post by vern01 Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:55 am

Barnabas

Again thanks for the info;

Regarding paint, I looked a little deeper and the door jams, under headlight trim areas appear olive drab, however the floor and portions of the inside of the box are a very faded red/orange.
    The floor is flat, no hump for the bigger trans. By the way this unit arrived with no engine or trans. The doghouse cove has a single latch and no indication that the doghouse or lid may have had the latch and mounting of them changed, I suppose the whole dog house could have been changes as it loos black not olive drab??

Heater is definently in a 1964 configuration.
    Where is this Canadian data base available, it would be cool to find out where this truck live all its life especially if it has a military history. It may change with truck gets done back to stock and with one we have gets full custom
    vern01
    vern01

Post by vern01 Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:07 am

Big W wrote:Ah ok...The Martinsville truck I believe I've seen. So what are your plans...build both or or one for parts? Let me know what you need for parts...and if I have extra I can try and help.

One back to original[67, 5 window] the other[64] customised, like a more modern drive train, possibly v6 auto and such from a Ranger
    Barnabas
    Barnabas

Post by Barnabas Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:05 pm

Maybe your truck was Orange on the inside and olive drab on the outside. The doghouses were always painted black.

Based on the serial number, I suspect your truck was built early in the year, like February. 1964.

The database I am referring to is at Econoline.org. It needs some more Canadian data before we can start figuring out what it all means. The paint codes for the 1961-1964 Econolines have me stumped. See if you can find anyone in the Great White North who might have the early sixties Ford truck paint codes.
    vern01
    vern01

Post by vern01 Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:55 pm

Barnabas

Once I am more familiar with the site I will post some photos. The cab and box interior are definently olive drab only the box floor is orang/redish. Under the headlamp trim there is gloss black under the olive drab.

I am going to try and search Econolines in military service, likely a long shot.

And again thanks for putting up with this new guys questions
    Barnabas
    Barnabas

Post by Barnabas Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:28 pm

I encourage questions. It helps us both learn.
    vern01
    vern01

New from Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada Empty Second body tag

Post by vern01 Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:36 pm

I have found a second tag on the body

09394 67A1190L
    HO 7007 DSO C099

Any one got any thoughts on this
    Barnabas
    Barnabas

Post by Barnabas Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:23 pm

Where was the tag? Looks like a special order build tag, and I am just making that up.

The DSO C099 is the same special order number on your door tag.

The 1190L is (11) E100 Econoline, (90) 90" wheelbase, (L) Left-hand drive

The 19 in the center might be the paint code, since that is the same as your paint code.
    Barnabas
    Barnabas

Post by Barnabas Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:37 pm

On the 6901190L part of your VIN, compared to the 67A1190L on the new tag

Digit 1 in both is 6, which is a Ford 6-cyl engine    

digits 2 and 3:              
    90 in the VIN is E100 Pickup 87            
    7A in the new tag is E100 Pickup (standard) 87A.  This would be a standard vs deluxe interior.  87A means a 3-window truck rather than the 5-window truck.

It appears that that part of the VIN could have been written either way, using the 90 or the 7A. 7B would be the deluxe van with 5-windows. 90 is any pickup.

I am basing all of this on 1965 information, which may or may not work for your 1964.
    vern01
    vern01

Post by vern01 Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:31 pm

Barnabas wrote:Where was the tag?  Looks like a special order build tag, and I am just making that up.  

The DSO C099 is the same special order number on your door tag.

The 1190L is (11) E100 Econoline, (90) 90" wheelbase, (L) Left-hand drive

The 19 in the center might be the paint code, since that is the same as your paint code.

The tag was on the passenger side floor, fastened with one screw about where your right foot would rest
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:34 pm

I used to haul produce for the government. The gov. person that I delt with, was know as the DSO. It was an acrynim, like "defence supply office". or something like that. The DSO on your tag may be connected to the gov. Just a thought.
    Barnabas
    Barnabas

Post by Barnabas Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:56 pm

The U.S. made Econolines had a door tag with a section called D.S.O., which stood for District- Special Order. This field was for both the sales district and special order number, if any. The Canadian door tag does not include the sales district, just has a place for special order, which in many cases, and yours, it contains the letters DSO.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:30 pm