VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

mounting heater unit

tikiwagon
    tikiwagon

Number of posts : 55
    Registration date : 2012-10-22

mounting heater unit Empty mounting heater unit

Post by tikiwagon Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:08 pm

Hi I have a 1963 and the heater that came with it is was sat in a box when i got it, has anybody got some pictures of how it mounts and where the 2 water pipes go to it,(the last owner has put a partial new cab floor in badly so cant see any mounts at all
    CraigK
    CraigK

Number of posts : 141
    Registration date : 2012-05-14

mounting heater unit Empty Re: mounting heater unit

Post by CraigK Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:04 am

Here are a couple of pics I have. Not the best. Maybe someone else has some better. The early vans had the heater on the floor just to the right of the gas peddle. Large square hole in floor. Tubes would be facing down on the right side.
    Don't know why 2 came up sitting sideways. Their correct on my PC
    Craig in Ohio

url=https://servimg.com/view/17652584/76]mounting heater unit 09706d10[/url]
    url=https://servimg.com/view/17652584/77]mounting heater unit Pic_110[/url]
    url=https://servimg.com/view/17652584/78]mounting heater unit Pic_210[/url]
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:11 am

mounting heater unit Ford_h10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:16 am

mounting heater unit Ford_h11
    tikiwagon
    tikiwagon

Post by tikiwagon Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:10 pm

Hi Craig
    Thanks for the pics , that makes sense but because there is no hole in mine i wanted to check that was right, Guess i will be cutting a large hole in the floor this weekend!
    Dave
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:21 am

,,,somewhere along the line they moved the heater from the floor to under the dash,,,,,,

mounting heater unit Heatt10
    CraigK
    CraigK

Post by CraigK Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:06 am

Thanks for fixing the pics Donivan.
    Tiki, if you want some measurements or better pics I can get some this weekend. Before you go too far I would check to make sure the heater core and valve are working correctly. Very hard to find either one and expensive if you need them. I was lucky. If they are not in working order I would look for (they show up on ebay) the unit Dinivan posted. 65 to 67 vans if I remember correctly

Craig
    tikiwagon
    tikiwagon

Post by tikiwagon Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:52 am

Hi Craig better pics and measurements would be very helpful!
    Thanks
    CraigK
    CraigK

Post by CraigK Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:14 pm

Here are some new pics.
    The opening itself is 10-9/16" wide X 8" high
    The side of the opening starts 21 inches in from the passenger foot well
    It is recessed around where the bolt holes go through. This is where the gasket would sit but you can probably get away without it.
    The top of the opening is about 1-1/4" down top ledge
    Hope this helps. Like I said, before you cut a hole for this make sure what you have works.
    url=https://servimg.com/view/17652584/80]mounting heater unit Img_0811[/url]
    url=https://servimg.com/view/17652584/81]mounting heater unit Img_0812[/url]
    url=https://servimg.com/view/17652584/82]mounting heater unit Img_0813[/url]
    url=https://servimg.com/view/17652584/83]mounting heater unit Img_0814[/url]
    url=https://servimg.com/view/17652584/84]mounting heater unit Img_0815[/url]
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:34 pm

You could get a 1965-1967 heater and mount it under the dash of your 1963. It's a better heater, and you don't have to mess up the floor.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:54 pm

The under dash heater bolts right in. You have to cut some holes in the toe board for the hoses to pass thru. The grill needs to be notched too. You'll have to drill the dash and mount the control cables. It's all easy to do. Those floor heaters don't put out much and parts are impossible to find and expensive when you do. The floor heater can be modified to use a 65-67 heater core and control valve if you need to though. It's all about what you have available.

I've been wondering how your project has been coming along Craig. I was talking with the guy you bought it from just the other day and he was wondering as well. Post some updates for us. We'd like to see some progress pics.

tikiwagon
    tikiwagon

Post by tikiwagon Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:59 am

Thanks for all the help on this , will definately check too see if it works first
    CraigK
    CraigK

Post by CraigK Sun May 03, 2015 4:08 am

Hi Duane.

Project has been going slow. Things keep getting in the way but I enjoy the little time I get. I will try to dig up some of the photos I have. Had to get a new PC and all the pics were dumped on a back up drive and need sorting. I cut out and replaced the rusted floor on the front passenger side floor. Sanded, ground and scraped the surface rust on the rest of the floor and painted. have sanded the rest of the interior and gave it a quick coat of paint for now. I pulled all the glass. Bought a new windshield. Need to get new seals to reinstall. I have rebuilt the heater unit so that's "like new". I have redone the gauge pod. sanded, painted, all new gauges. Swapped out the idiot lights for gauges. Put in a glove box door. still need the latch and hardware. dropped the 144 engine and trans and picked up a 200 from a 65 mustang. Also picked up a later cyl head with the bigger intake log. Motors all apart and ready to go to the shop for cleaning and machining. I picked up an auto trans but haven't made the decision yet if I want to go auto or stick with the manual. I will need a new man. tarns as the one I have is the early, weaker one. Same with the rear end. Want to put the 9" in as you know. I still want the parts you had (if you still have them) just haven't found the time to run down and see you. Like I said, Ill try to dig through the pics and post some of them or just take new ones. Hope life's treating you well Duane.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:40 am