VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

King Pins, Air Shocks vs. Gas Shocks, Drum Upgrade and Drum Hardware Kit

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

King Pins, Air Shocks vs. Gas Shocks, Drum Upgrade and Drum Hardware Kit Empty King Pins, Air Shocks vs. Gas Shocks, Drum Upgrade and Drum Hardware Kit

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:41 pm

Asking multiple questions here so that I don't clog up the forum.

Need to replace kingpins and tie rods. Kingpins are toast (another thing I believed to have been replaced. Shocks are crusty as well and tie rods and no good.

1) Are all kingpins equal in terms of build? Looking at $87.00 best price. Tie rods $94.00 pair.

2) When it comes to drums, is there an upgrade or better quality part if replacing? Figuring to just replace them since I've come this far and not sure if they can be turned.

3) Looking for a source for hardware kit for drum brakes.

4) Gas vs. air shocks. Would love to do coil over, but sticking with leaf springs for now and need new shocks.

Should I go gas shocks or air shocks? Would love to lower any way possible without sacrificing ride quality and think air shocks give me ability to drop a little?

5) Also need to replace leaf spring bushings and didn't know if those were specific to our vans.

Thanks for the help!

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

King Pins, Air Shocks vs. Gas Shocks, Drum Upgrade and Drum Hardware Kit Empty Re: King Pins, Air Shocks vs. Gas Shocks, Drum Upgrade and Drum Hardware Kit

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:05 pm

you got your choice for kingpin kits,,,,,,,with nylon bushings or for the harder to find,,,,,bronze bushings,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

King Pins, Air Shocks vs. Gas Shocks, Drum Upgrade and Drum Hardware Kit Empty Re: King Pins, Air Shocks vs. Gas Shocks, Drum Upgrade and Drum Hardware Kit

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:09 pm

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:11 pm

shackle bushings,,,,,

King Pins, Air Shocks vs. Gas Shocks, Drum Upgrade and Drum Hardware Kit Hb_93011
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:43 pm

[quote="donivan65"]you got your choice for kingpin kits,,,,,,,with nylon bushings or for the harder to find,,,,,bronze bushings,,,,,,[/quote

Thx, Don. Looking to do it right, budget withstanding. Bronze lasts longer otherwise all the same? All ears...
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:39 pm

ok laz- this is what i do with all my early cars/trucks. shocks- always use a shock that has a spring over it -these are not coil overs- wernt invented back then - we called them "Overload"shocks!on the front!!
    for rear i use those or better yet air-shocks!1 usually always - all just seem to last longer -gabriel is usually the brandi find for my early stuff! monroe is great too -just some don't list an application! Bronze bushings are best on king pins too. Go to rockauto.com & search gvans g-10 like in 68-70 only for parts all fit! costs are =LESS!! there too & they will give u a 5 % discount if u have a code too- emailme 4 one if u dont get & need. tierods=maybe 20 each there? & pins 40 bux? have a look!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:56 pm

you would be hard pressed to find a better deal on van brake parts than at Rock Auto,,,,,,

King Pins, Air Shocks vs. Gas Shocks, Drum Upgrade and Drum Hardware Kit Rock_v10
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:43 am

donivan65 wrote:shackle bushings,,,,,

King Pins, Air Shocks vs. Gas Shocks, Drum Upgrade and Drum Hardware Kit Hb_93011

I ordered three sets of these because shipping was a crazy $12.00+ since UPS Ground was the cheapest option offered.

If you need a set, I will repackage a set and ship via USPS First Class Mail for actual shipping plus $1.50 to help offset my shipping cost, which was $13.50 with the additional pieces.

PM me if you are interested.  It will definitely save you several dollars.  I expect shipping to cost around $3.50-$4.50

(2) Sets Available
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:12 am

so everyone knows - rock auto has a standard shipping of -usually 12 bux & up-depends on whats ordered! us mail -small stuff can start @ 3-4 bux too.  every thing i have ordered from them has been 12 bux to 18.00 for  even alternators & starters!! (with usually no core charges-try that @ ur local parts sources!! and heres the nice thing!!= its here @ my door =DELIVERED within 3 days from day ordered!! & thats a 2500 mile trip too!! usually fed x or ups delivered - & that has to be flown to get it here to me that quick too! They're the best (cheapest) source of parts ive found  even though I get a very deep discount @ my napa store too. Yet - if im wanting only a small part I cant order from them as the shipping is high for just a small part!. cheers

Laszz=let us know when the parts were shipped & arrival @ ur door- too. Think u will be surprised! where did they come from?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:13 am

Why are you only doing 1 spring?????

RockAuto don't seem like such a deal,,,,,,,

King Pins, Air Shocks vs. Gas Shocks, Drum Upgrade and Drum Hardware Kit Hb_93012
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:06 pm

donivan65 wrote:Why are you only doing 1 spring?????

RockAuto don't seem like such a deal,,,,,,,

I thought one kit got it done....How many bushings in each spring? Don't have van at home to reference. Amateur here...

King Pins, Air Shocks vs. Gas Shocks, Drum Upgrade and Drum Hardware Kit Hb_93012
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:23 pm

well,,,,,to do 4 springs you need 20 - 24 bushings,,,,,,,each shackle takes 4 rubber bushings,,,,,then the front end of each spring takes 1 metal cartridge or 2 polyurethane bushings, so each spring takes a minimum or 5 bushings,,,,,,

King Pins, Air Shocks vs. Gas Shocks, Drum Upgrade and Drum Hardware Kit Spring13
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:11 am

donivan65 wrote:well,,,,,to do 4 springs you need 20 - 24 bushings,,,,,,,each shackle takes 4 rubber bushings,,,,,then the front end of each spring takes 1 metal cartridge or 2 polyurethane bushings, so each spring takes a minimum or 5 bushings,,,,,,

King Pins, Air Shocks vs. Gas Shocks, Drum Upgrade and Drum Hardware Kit Spring13

Thanks, Don.

Cancelled the initial order.

Not trying to be dense, but the supplier insists I don't need four per shackle and my guy working on the suspension isn't certain, either, based on looking at it.  I told them both that you are the authority on parts and these vans.  I read the supplier your exact wording.  

I am wondering if I am not understanding correctly or if my van is just missing a bunch? Perhaps this is standard but most people don't use this many?  Sorry I am not clear and I don't have the van here to look at in person to make it more clear.

Shackle bushings:  Each kit has (4) bushings per kit.  I will need 4x HB 930 from sdtruckspring.com for a total of 20 bushings?

Front End:  (Looking for best quality)  #2056 with #6 sleeve x 4?

Your chart above shows a quantity of (16) HB 930's. I think the difference MIGHT be that the kit I am ordering comes in a quantity of 4/per kit vs. single quantity in your example?

Just want to be absolutely certain before ordering again.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:01 am

Ok,,,,,,the back end of the springs have shackles that swivel,,,,,they take 4 of the rubber HB 930 bushings,,,,,so you need 16  to do 4 springs,,,,,,they are longer, so you cut off 1/2" so they fit,,,,,,the fronts come with a metal cartridge bushing,,,,,,,I replace that single cartridge with 2 polyurethane bushings and a sleeve, which you need one that has a 9/16" hole through it, as a spacer for the bolt,,,,,,,,

King Pins, Air Shocks vs. Gas Shocks, Drum Upgrade and Drum Hardware Kit Dscn5934

King Pins, Air Shocks vs. Gas Shocks, Drum Upgrade and Drum Hardware Kit Spring14
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:48 pm

Thanks, Don. Pictures help! Can't seem to find location for shackles themselves. Is Loudenbery still best source for shackle hardware?
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:08 pm

Twinpilot001 wrote:so everyone knows - rock auto has a standard shipping of -usually 12 bux & up-depends on whats ordered! us mail -small stuff can start @ 3-4 bux too.  every thing i have ordered from them has been 12 bux to 18.00 for  even alternators & starters!! (with usually no core charges-try that @ ur local parts sources!! and heres the nice thing!!= its here @ my door =DELIVERED within 3 days from day ordered!! & thats a 2500 mile trip too!! usually fed x or ups delivered - & that has to be flown to get it here to me that quick too! They're the best (cheapest) source of parts ive found  even though I get a very deep discount @ my napa store too. Yet - if im wanting only a small part I cant order from them as the shipping is high for just a small part!. cheers

Laszz=let us know when the parts were shipped & arrival @ ur door-  too. Think u will be surprised! where did they come from?

Matt, the initial order that I thought I had cancelled (they refunded my money Very Happy ) arrived yesterday, so it took three days.  Not sure where it came from as I didn't receive it in person.

Today I ordered what I will term Don's "South Carolina" kit for my First Gen spring eyes since I live in SC.  Shipping from Cali to SC with all parts is about $70.00.  I think he said shipping would be about $14.00, which is still crazy since they don't weigh much, but they use UPS as well. I ordered this a.m. and he said to expect arrival mid-week.

Hope this helps anyone looking to price out the parts.

If anyone knows where to order correct shackle replacements, I would be interested. Finding old stock versions on eBay.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:58 pm

Did you order 8 polyurethane bushings and 4 of the 9/16" sleeves from National Spring ????

what are doing about the 16 HB 930 shackle bushings?
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:11 pm

donivan65 wrote:Did you order 8 polyurethane bushings and  4 of the 9/16" sleeves from National Spring ????

what are doing about the 16  HB 930 shackle bushings?

Yes, sir.  Thank you!

I ordered the other 16 bushings from SDTruck Springs.  I tried to cancel my first order and they actually refunded it but I still received the first set of 4, so I have a few extra now.

Installing new kingpins and tie rods as well and the springs look good, so should ride nicely.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 4:48 am