VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

1967 Ford Econoline Super Van Wheel Size

QCT
    QCT

Number of posts : 559
    Registration date : 2015-01-01

1967 Ford Econoline Super Van Wheel Size Empty 1967 Ford Econoline Super Van Wheel Size

Post by QCT Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:38 pm

I just purchased a 67 Econoline Super Van 8 door. The previous owner put on what appears to be larger then stock tires and wheels. I'd like to go back to the original look. Any one know what the correct tire and wheel size is?
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

1967 Ford Econoline Super Van Wheel Size Empty Re: 1967 Ford Econoline Super Van Wheel Size

Post by Barnabas Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:09 am

The wheels are 14" x 5.5"
    Tires depends on the GVW. The modern replacement would be P205/75R14.

See the chart here.

http://www.econolineid.com/tires.php
    QCT
    QCT

1967 Ford Econoline Super Van Wheel Size Empty Re: 1967 Ford Econoline Super Van Wheel Size

Post by QCT Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:09 pm

Thanks for the link. Anyone have a recommendation on where I can find myself a set of 14x5.5in wheels?
    QCT
    QCT

Post by QCT Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:19 am

So I found myself a set of 14x5.5 inch wheels off a 67 AMC Ambassador on Craigslist. In my brief research it appears the lug pattern spacing on the AMCs was 4.5 inch. Does anyone know if these will for sure fit? The wheels are about an hour away.. Just want to be sure they'll fit should I make the trip to pick them up.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:03 am

Econoline wheels were somewhat unique They didn't have the relief slots that most wheels had. They had a solid center. This is my van with stock wheels. You can see that they are solid. The AMC wheels won't look the same as stock Econoline wheels. They will most likely work. The bolt pattern is the same but the center hole may or may not be the same as the Econoline. Trying them on is the only way to know. You could pull a hub from your Econoline and take it with you to be sure. The Econoline wheel also had a reverse offset. Most wheels don't have this. If you need me to I can take some better pictures showing what I'm saying. I just used this one because it's what I had handy.

1967 Ford Econoline Super Van Wheel Size DSC07192-vi
    QCT
    QCT

Post by QCT Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:27 am

Ok, thanks for the info Duane. My 66 has mismatched wheels on it for some reason.. That's the way it came to me from Texas. So unfortunately I really can't go by the wheels on it. I see what your saying about the solid Econoline wheels. The AMC's definitely look a bit different but honestly if they are roadworthy that's good enough for me at the moment. Two of the wheels on mine are rusted out so the tires keep going flat. Just need something so I can roll it around and get paint and other estimates I need for the work I can't do myself. I have attached a few pictures of the AMC wheels I have found on Craigslist. Hopefully it helps..  

1967 Ford Econoline Super Van Wheel Size 00k0k_10

1967 Ford Econoline Super Van Wheel Size 00x0x_10

1967 Ford Econoline Super Van Wheel Size 00d0d_10
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:31 am

They should do fine for rollers. not so good for a restoration. The center hole may be the only thing that stands in your way. for rollers it could be opened up if need be. I prefer aftermarket wheels on Econolines. They really make them come to life.
    QCT
    QCT

Post by QCT Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:01 am

Ok sounds like I will pick this set up tonight. Thank you again for the info. Absolutely agree with you about aftermarket wheels. I have a set in mind with fat white wall tires i think would look sharp. But I have a lot of work ahead of me and in the process wouldn't want to damage a new set of wheels and tires. Maybe since I already have a good set of 14 inch tires I can use these wheels as a spare or winter set..
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:20 am

Hey Kyle
    I have a set of 13's that I'm using for rollers...they have tires on them now..
    They leak a little but you can borrow them if need be.
    Just put some of that fix a flat stuff in them and they should be okay.
    Jim in NJ aka Casimier

You still have to come over and get that floor area anyway.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:25 am

Those AMC wheels look just like the rims on mine except mine are just painted steel. If they're the same, the ford hub caps snap right on the center bit.
    QCT
    QCT

Post by QCT Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:27 pm

Jim I really appreciate the offer. I actually picked these up the other day. I know I have to get down your way soon to pick that stuff up. Will try to give you a ring later on tonight if it's ok. Looks like I may be around next Sunday unless something comes up. We are actually a bit farther away then we had thought. Just need to set a few hours aside and take the road trip.

Seth, I was able to try these on yesterday and they fit like a glove. They do look very similar to the stock Econoline wheels minus the slots on the AMCs as Duane mentioned in a previous post. The seller was firm at $100 but I still think it was a decent deal. They'll do the job while I'm in the restoration phase and possibly an extra set if needed in the future.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 pm