VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

New guy with a question/request

r.s.s.
    r.s.s.

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2014-12-07

New guy with a question/request Empty New guy with a question/request

Post by r.s.s. Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:30 am

Hello all, I've been lurking here for well over a year and figured i shoudl throw up an intro and see if I can't get a couple questions answered.

I picked up a 64 90" a couple years ago and I've been trying to work on it as much as possible when time allows. Current plans are: full air ride (I know it's not everyone's cup of tea however it's how I see this van), warmed up LQ4 engine with 4L80E trans, painted chevy green with white/cream. I basically going for the shop van look but obviously laid out.

This leads me to my questions/requests.

First, I'm looking to get a measurement from the leading edge of the dog house (with the lid open) to the firewall. or alternatively from the base of the DH to the start of the kick in the floor. FYI i have a second gen DH for the van. My floor is non existent so I have no refference from the original opening. I want to ensure I have the DH in the right possition from front to back.

Second, I'm looking for a measurement from the nose of the water pump (SBC or LS) to either the firewall or the same leading edge on the DH as mentioned above.  

I've included a pic of what i'm looking for to make things a little clearer. I've also included a pic of my van in all it's Pepto pink glory haha.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan.

New guy with a question/request Photo10

New guy with a question/request Photo111
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

New guy with a question/request Empty Re: New guy with a question/request

Post by savage Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:15 pm

Welcome Ryan, Does your van still have the stock crossmember in it?? That will give you a point to set motor. Your van looks good for being 50 years old up North
    r.s.s.
    r.s.s.

Post by r.s.s. Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:45 pm

Thanks Savage. Unfortunately it does not have the xmember. The cobbled up one the PO had was a mish mash of c channel, angle iron, and some mounts from a 73-87 c10. needless to say it ended up in the scrap bin. I also do not have the holes to reference from as the van has undergone some serious surgery.

The pics make it look a lot better than it actually is. the rockers had 3 layers of galvanized sheet metal attached with roughly 200 pop rivets. it was a nightmare stripping all the junk off the sides to get to the original metal. I'm sure they used a gallon of filler per side for the fender flares haha.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:52 pm

Welcome to the forum!!

Are the original 1st gen lower radiator supports still on your van? The radiator supports were in the same location 1st gen and 2nd gen, so simply place the 2nd gen doghouse to line up vertically with the upper radiator support with the original lower radiator supports of your 1st gen.

To double-check, here are measurements you requested: I have a '65 with a 2nd gen DH in it. 23" from top leading edge of DH to firewall. 14&1/4" from front of water pump to front wall of DH.
    r.s.s.
    r.s.s.

Post by r.s.s. Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:08 pm

Thanks kookykrispy. Lower rad supports are long gone. Thanks for the measurements though, it will help a ton!
    r.s.s.
    r.s.s.

Post by r.s.s. Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:11 pm

On the operating table

New guy with a question/request Img_0711
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:20 pm

r.s.s. wrote:Thanks kookykrispy. Lower rad supports are long gone. Thanks for the measurements though, it will help a ton!

You should still be able to see where they used to be. The first gen lower radiator support brackets are triangle shape brackets under the floor that bolted to the frame. If these are gone, the threaded holes will still be there in the frame, and will give you a clue where the radiator should be located.

It sounds like you could use a 1st gen engine crossmember. If you post in the G parts wanted, you can probably find one.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:07 pm

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:38 pm

New guy with a question/request Frame_10
    Found another one.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:42 pm

That GM Heritage center info is so neat. I'm amazed how light these vans are if you keep everything out of them. Curb weight of a 1st gen panel with 'standard equipment' (a six cyl and solid side doors): only 2725 lbs. That's why these vans make fun hot rods with any kind of a hot motor in them, good power to weight ratio is easy to achieve.
    r.s.s.
    r.s.s.

Post by r.s.s. Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:03 am

Thanks for all the info everyone. I should be able to get everything located now.

kookykrispy, the section(s) of the frame where the rad supports were originally located have been removed. I'm actually building a complete separate frame for the van and I needed to notch for the IFS. Did I need to build a new frame? probably not, but I wanted to try something different. Seems like I like to do things the difficult way haha.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 8:20 am