VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

New member with G10 van and motor stamp request.

gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 367
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

New member with G10 van and motor stamp request. Empty New member with G10 van and motor stamp request.

Post by gfleduc Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:23 am

Hello Gang,

Glad to find this forum. Well after 40 years I bought another 1965 G10 Van, 3 spd . A bit rusty so as many of you know lots of patch work to go (my daughters don't get it). After monitoring your forum for a while I am making my first posts today.

I have an initial request for a piece of data - I want to install a 1965 230 motor. I was hoping someone with an original motor in theirs could share what the code/stamping on the distributor pad reads so I can get close to correct.

Also - it appears like "hen's teeth" but I need an air cleaner; so if you have a lead...

Thank-you in advance

Gary
    Kingwood Texas
    gfleduc@msn.com
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

New member with G10 van and motor stamp request. Empty Re: New member with G10 van and motor stamp request.

Post by Vantasia Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:02 am

Yeah! Welcome!  I did the same thing, bought one of these after owning one back in high school in the 70's!  Make a parts wanted listing for the air cleaner here and also at VCVC, Vintage Chevy Van Club site, lots of parts hounds there too.  Occasionally they show up on eBay once or twice a year.  IMHO, you need the stock air cleaner to direct fresh air from the "cold" side of the doghouse to the carb, those little small hot rod cleaners, although they work, suck up hot air from over the exhaust manifold at idle on a hot day.  If you google chevy stovebolt casting numbers you will get several sites with code listings for all the side block numbers, it will tell you if you have a 194 or 230 or 250 and what year it was used.  Distributor info might be there too. A lot of people use HEI replacement distributors, later model GM or new ones.  What's in the van now?  Also look into getting the 1964-66 Chevy Shop Manual supplement and if you are doing engine work, the 1963 Truck Manual, both easy to find paper or digital, eBay, etc....post some pics!
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 367
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

New member with G10 van and motor stamp request. Empty Re: New member with G10 van and motor stamp request.

Post by gfleduc Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:19 pm

Thank-you Vantasia,

I have a 1974 250 in the van now (I want to sell that off) and install an original 230 motor. I am good on the casting numbers and dates - it is just the distributor pad stamping that is vague. I found a few engines to buy, but I am REALLY hoping for definition / examples of the distributor pad stampings.

Thank-you for your time
    Gary
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:56 am

gfleduc wrote:Thank-you Vantasia,

I have a 1974 250 in the van now (I want to sell that off)  and install an original 230 motor.  I am good on the casting numbers and dates  - it is just the distributor pad stamping that is vague.  I found a few engines to buy, but I am REALLY hoping for definition / examples of the distributor pad stampings.

Thank-you for your time
    Gary

Kooky? Donivan?.....these members really know their stuff when it comes to mechanical details of these vans/motors....oh, BTW, this guy has an air cleaner for sale, email him for pics! 3dservicegroup@gmail.com

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:10 am