VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
GMman
Twinpilot001
savage
7 posters

Rochester Qjet problem

AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Rochester Qjet problem - Page 2 Empty Re: Rochester Qjet problem

Post by AzDon Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:17 am

IMO, Holleys are the only way to go, and the double-pumpers are my preference because they are fully mechanical, easy to understand, easy to work on, and (at least for me) always fixed after I work on them......Everything that can go wrong with a Holley is accessible from the outside of the main body, meaning that you work on the carb without removing it and don't risk dropping parts down into the engine....I even built a splittable fuel rail so that you can work on one metering block and bowl while leaving the fuel lines connected to the other. Float level is set with the carb assembled and the engine running, and tuning is infinitely adjustable with readily available over the counter parts......I have a friend that I give all my takeoff q-jet stuff to, because I consider it junk!
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:05 am

I like holley carbs, I actually own half a dozen of them, in different sizes, but the Q-jet is an excellent carb too.  Holleys are good for racing, and easy to work on.  However they are a very basic design, mostly suited for racing.  Double pumpers? Dual accelerator pumps suck gas like crazy! Basically a toilet and flushes gas like it too. I would not run one on anything that I wanted even halfway decent fuel economy on.

On a street vehicle, it really is hard to beat a properly set up Q-jet.  The only thing better for pure street use is maybe a thermoquad.  But the closed minded haters will likely never learn about either option. Smile
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:34 am

KK,Thank's for your help,& all the input. I think I bent the pass side prim rod at some point(of the 20+++ times I took it apart),so it wouldn't seat all the way,& the 2nd rods were DG,it looked like somebody had filed them down??? they were Real small in seat,& float was a little high. Thank's for everbodys input

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 10:51 pm