VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Problems figuring it out.

Problems figuring it out. Empty Problems figuring it out.

Post by Guest Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:03 pm

I have been having problems with my 1974 Ford Econoline 200. It has a 302 ci, auto trans.
    Problem #1 ) When driving. The trans shifts gears from 1st to 2nd at about 40 miles per hour. (should be about 25 to 35).

Problem #2 ) When driving the van cut out on me and just died. It started right back up with out a problem. I was accelerating at the time and she just died. I have changed the fuel pump, changed any rubber (neoprium) hoses, new fuel filter, cleaned out the gas tank, repaired it as well, changed the pickup filter, changed the carberator, and blew out the lines. When I step on it it goes. Just with no warning died out. I checked the timing and it is ok. Next thing I am going to do is pull all the plugs. Change them all. Check the wires for continuity, check the cap, router, condenser. After this, I do not know where to go if it still is occuring. Any ideas anyone?
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Problems figuring it out. Empty Re: Problems figuring it out.

Post by sasktrini Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:09 pm

I'm no expert, but I'm thinking it's related. There might be a problem with the vacuum hose going to the modulator valve on the tranny, a problem with the modulator, or maybe needs a new tranny filter and fluid. I might be talking out my arse, but the tranny at a high speed might prevent the engine from accelerating, throw off the timing advance just enough... what you're experiencing between first and second might be what's happening at speed. Does it only do it when you floor it in gear? If so, I'd suspect that the tranny issue is the whole problem. Hope that helps.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12230
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:25 pm

As for the engine cutting out, that sounds like a distributor problem,,,like a loose breaker plate or loose or broken wire to it.
    When you are accelerating, the vacuum advance moves that breaker plate to advance the timing. It also moves that wire on it. And the pivot on the plate serves as a ground, so if any one of these problems occur, the coil won't fire and it dies,,,,instantly. Carburetor and fuel pump problems slowly starve the engine until it dies,,,unless you got a piece of dirt in the carb that stops the fuel slow. If you can get it to act up, use a 12 volt test light. See if the Pos side of the coil always has voltage to it and the NEG side of the coil blinks when you crank the engine.

Post by Guest Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:22 pm

I took it for a drive around the city today. Didn't act up at all. Then I took it to the back roads at normal speeds. Still no problems Then I took it up to 50 miles/hour. As soon as I let off the gas it died right out. It did start right back up. Drove it again at normal speeds, no problems. Took it back up to 50 again. Same problem. As soon as I took my foot off the gas and tried to put it back on, it died again. When it dies, I have nothing. I have to re-start the van. When I re-start the van it starts right back up.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:22 pm

Disconnect the vacuum advance hose and try it,,,,,see if it acts up. It could be dirt in the carb, but if you changed it, then that aint it. You say it dies when you let up on the gas, well you need to see what is going on right at that time. Maybe you got a bad motor mount that pulls on a wire when you let up on the gas. I would hook a voltmeter on the POS side of the coil and drive around and see if voltage drops or goes up, right before it dies. Another thing is that when you let up on the gas, the distributor breaker plate comes back to the no advance position. And the points and condenser ride on it. That movement could be the problem,,,it may be loosing its ground or that wire is broken. I would put another breaker plate and wire on it or at least replace the points and condenser. You could try and wiggle that NEG coil wire while it is idling and see if the engine quits,,,or try to move the breaker plate. So you need to check those Pos and Neg wires on the coil,,,,make sure the Pos always has power to it, but the Neg is a little more complicated,,, You got that wire that goes to the points in the Distributor, then through the condenser, then through the breaker plate then finally to ground. If you could find a wrecking yard distributor, then that would eliminate all those possible problems.

Post by Guest Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:50 pm

You talk of a breaker plate. What exactly is that? ( a pic would help greatly)
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:42 am

OK, The breaker plate is what the points and condenser screw onto inside the distributor,,,,AND,,,,that plate is hooked to the vacuum advance unit which slides that breaker plate up and back everytime you step on the gas pedal. So that creates 2 problem areas in the distributor. 1st is the pivot point that connects the breaker plate to the base, it gets worn out and it usually has a spring on it ,,,the thing to remember is that the the coil gets its ground through this rivet. And the 2nd and most common is the wire that goes from the points to the Negative side of the coil. Its always flexing and breaks or rubs and shorts out,,,you can see on this 6 cylinder Chevy distributor, they have patched the wire twice. I would just make up another wire and put it into yours and see if it fixes your problem. Or get another plate and try it in there, because they are not really fixable unless you connect a little jumper wire from that plate to ground. And in that way it makes sure that the breaker plate assembly, with the points and condenser on it, has a good ground even if the pivot point is worn out.

Problems figuring it out. Repair11
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:52 am

Great explanation and quick photo response! I was wondering the same, as I've only had HEI distributors in my vehicles, UNTIL NOW... I'll have a lot to learn! Thanx!

Corey
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Like Donivan says about the wires breaking ,, I had a 78 ford p\u HEI the wires to the module were broken inside the insulation.

Post by Guest Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:12 pm

Ok, now I see. Thanks for the discription. Now, I can (hopefully) fix the problem. I'll look into it (when I have time). This weekend is my daughters 16th b-day (a big thing for her now. wait till she gets older haha). In july I am hoping to get caught up on all my automotive repairs. Get the 73 econoline running (needs tuneup, a coil, plugs etc). Been sitting for some time. Clean it all up. Get lines on my daughters van, get my 67 comet all cleaned up (been in a barn for the winter). Many things to do when Chrysler is on shut down here in Windsor. I am just hoping these do not take me the hole 2 weeks to do. Well, will let you know how it comes out. thanks again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:35 pm