VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Rear axle won't separate from the leafs?

gotdurt
    gotdurt

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2013-12-31

Rear axle won't separate from the leafs? Empty Rear axle won't separate from the leafs?

Post by gotdurt Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:47 pm

I was planning to remove a leaf in the rear like I did the front a while back; U bolts are off, shocks are disconnected. The only thing still in place are the center bolts that hold the packs together; one snapped, the other is turning in the pack, so I'll have to cut it off.

The problem is, when I lift the van, the axle is lifting with it... is there a reason for this that I am missing? The only things that are still attached are the brake lines and drive shaft, but those shouldn't cause an issue (haven't on other vehicles I've worked on). There isn't any rust on the springs or perches. I have to be overlooking something...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12245
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Rear axle won't separate from the leafs? Empty Re: Rear axle won't separate from the leafs?

Post by donivan65 Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:37 pm

I would say the spring center pins are stuck in the perches,,,,,break out the chisel or bar and get under that bottom leaf,,,,,
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Rear axle won't separate from the leafs? Empty Re: Rear axle won't separate from the leafs?

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:48 pm

Bigger HAMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!! affraid
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Post by gotdurt Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:56 pm

I got it loose; the axle was rotating, putting them in a bind. Now to find new center bolts...
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Post by gotdurt Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:21 pm

Who knew that those bolts would be hard to find at parts stores... Going to try grade 8 allen bolts instead.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:17 pm

does those springs have center bolts like this?

Rear axle won't separate from the leafs? <a href=Rear axle won't separate from the leafs? Centbolt_zpsf47d802e"
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Post by gotdurt Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:58 am

Yep, that's the one, and of course, Napa is the only store I don't have nearby...
    The 5/16 allen bolts I got have the exact same head dimensions, and IMO the allen head will work better than a slot anyway.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:16 am

GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!! AUSTIN?? No wholesale bolt place=???????? https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=fastners%20austin%20tx

LOOK HERE! affraid
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:53 am

REAL spring center bolts are grade 2 to flex not snap like higher grade bolts might do ,,,,,,,,
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:11 am

Any spring shop should have those spring pack bolts. Brighton Spring in Cincinnati is where I get mine.
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Post by gotdurt Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:15 pm

Twinpilot001 wrote:GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!! AUSTIN?? No wholesale bolt place=????????     https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=fastners%20austin%20tx

LOOK HERE! affraid

LOL, I'm not actually in Austin, about 40 minutes NW (hence the "ish"). It was after 8pm on a Saturday night and I had to find something to get it back together before my wife left town today (it's my daily driver).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 12:32 am