VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Leaning truck

docmcg
    docmcg

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Leaning truck Empty Leaning truck

Post by docmcg Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:17 pm

I just put the truck back down on the ground today after replacing all the rebuilt suspension pieces. Problem now is the truck in lower on the driver's side than the passenger side. I know the rear is slightly higher, but I don't recalll the driver's side squatting before disassembly. Every piece of the suspension, front and rear, was taken apart, down to the last nut and bolt. Now, here comes the stupid question, (feel free to give a stupid answer, I deserve it!). Are the springs side specific, as such is there a right and a left? I think I already know the answer, but I'm asking anyways. If not, then why would the truck be so much lower on the driver's side?
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Leaning truck Empty Re: Leaning truck

Post by jkr Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:25 pm

you might have tightened up some parts while suspended in the air and now you have a bushing bind. all suspension parts should be tightened at "ride height". just a thought...
    docmcg
    docmcg

Post by docmcg Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:23 pm

I was aware of that. The only bolts I tightened before sitting the truck down were the front and rear axle bolts. Everything else was left loose. I took another look under the rear of the truck, and it appears the spring on the right has a little more arch than the left. I'm going to switch them tomorrow and see. With the right rear up, it makes the front left drop. I'll have to see what happens. Thanks for the reply.

Post by Guest Thu May 31, 2018 9:21 am

I have the same problem after rebuilding the suspension. At first I thought the front springs were different, and swapped those side-side, truck still leans.

What was the outcome on this thread?

Thanks
    docmcg
    docmcg

Post by docmcg Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:06 am

My outcome will be an all new IFS. Bought a cross member kit from Chris Alston Chsassisworks and plan to install that. Am seriously considering a tri-angulated four link in the rear. Coil over shocks all around. Just had heart surgery, so things have been put on hold until I’ve mended, and I’ll be right back at it.

Number of posts : 434
    Registration date : 2016-10-18

Post by 69 Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:48 pm

Why not trying to go to a smith and get the springs re-arched to proper height on all for corners? Did that on my truck (I always opt to put the driver side half an inch higher than passenger side, so it still looks good while drivng the 200+ lbs... Smile )
    docmcg
    docmcg

Post by docmcg Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:08 pm

That’s an option to consider. I am however leaning heavily toward a four link rear with adjustable coil over shocks. Leveling the truck should be no problem, going that route. Thanks 69 for your suggestion.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:22 am