VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
Twinpilot001
RodStRace
65Econo
7 posters

Van leaning....

65Econo

Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2010-10-04

Van leaning.... Empty Van leaning....

Post by 65Econo Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:30 am

I installed my D&D brake kit and had to relocate the sway bar with the brackets Dennis supplied. once I got everything back together and off the jacks its sitting really un-level. At least an inch or more lower on the driver side....

Any ideas what causes it to sit like that? Does the sway bar affect how the body sits?

Also, Ive bled my brakes about 5 times now and they are still soft. Nowhere near where they should be. im stumped....any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Van leaning.... Empty Re: Van leaning....

Post by RodStRace Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:29 pm

Disconnect the sway bar end links and see if that's what is causing the lean.

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:45 pm

could be the spring bushings - take a look?? Did u pressure blead the entire system?/ Install a new master & bench bleed it??
    65Econo

Post by 65Econo Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:14 pm

Yes I installed a complete brake system including dual reservoir. I did not bench bleed the master because i didnt know i was supposed to. Do I need to pull the master and bleed it or can it be bled while installed? Seems good to me, but I dont really know what im talking about. Haha!
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:39 pm

You should have bench bleed it.. but I believe you can bleed it now that its on...just gonna take a quart or so of fluid..also did you install the appropriate residual valves in the brake lines? ...

http://www.wilwood.com/Search/PartNoSearch.aspx?itemdesc=residual valves

From what I understand you can't get much of a pedal with out the valves...?

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:09 pm

yes you need the 2 pound residual valves mounted as close to the wheel as possible for the disc brakes and you need 10 pound residuals for the drum brakes if you still have them on the rear. Did you tell Dennis you needed the master for front discs and rear drums??
    organ grinder

Number of posts : 149
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by organ grinder Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:22 am

I don't necessarily feel the residual valves are going to fix your soft pedal issue. I've used them when the M/C is located lower than the brake bleeders - as in the case of our Ecocno's - or if I had an excess amount of pedal travel. I would put them in line close to the M/C as there would be less fluid siphoning back into the M/C after releasing the pedal. I believe Dennis's kit uses a later model M/C which has the residual valves already installed in it, but you might want to check with him.
    IMO I feel there is some air trapped somewhere in the system. I would start from scratch, remove the M/C then bench bleed it (not hard to do) then reinstall it and bleed the brakes in the PROPER sequence a couple times, and then see where your pedal is at. Hope this helps.
    65Econo

Post by 65Econo Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:13 pm

I took off the master and bench bled it the best i could. Put it back on and bled. its much better. Still feel there are some bubbles somewhere....just may have to bleed a couple more times.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:21 pm

I would suggest you blees the entire system with a pressure bleeded -or- have a shop do this. Reasoning is= possibly trapped air in system?? Just my 'ol 2 cents from past experiences
    organ grinder

Number of posts : 149
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by organ grinder Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:02 pm

65Econo wrote:I took off the master and bench bled it the best i could. Put it back on and bled. its much better. Still feel there are some bubbles somewhere....just may have to bleed a couple more times.

Great to hear you're making progress on them. Maybe put a few miles on and then bleed them again?
    delraydoug
    delraydoug

Number of posts : 210
    Registration date : 2010-07-01

Van leaning.... Empty put some more weight on pass.side

Post by delraydoug Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:38 am

pick up a fat chick and take her for a ride and see if it levels out Lol. im sorry i just had to throw that in Very Happy
    kltcustoms
    kltcustoms

Number of posts : 199
    Registration date : 2008-07-07

Post by kltcustoms Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:15 am

My van leans to the drivers side as well but that is because I am 400 lbs... HAHAHAHA
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:31 am

When did u loose weight,Kent!!! Evil or Very Mad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:23 am