VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
Admin
Joe Van
diamond dave
Vanish
donivan65
Twinpilot001
kookykrispy
Vantasia
GMman
13 posters

HEI Ignitions on the Inline 6 Chevy Engine

GMman
    GMman

Number of posts : 798
    Registration date : 2014-10-14

HEI Ignitions on the Inline 6 Chevy Engine Empty HEI Ignitions on the Inline 6 Chevy Engine

Post by GMman Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:43 pm

My 1966 Chevy G10 Van had been sitting for nearly 30 years when I got it. I converted over to a new HEI distributor instead of messing around rebuilding the original distributor. With New plugs and plug wires the engine popped right off.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

HEI Ignitions on the Inline 6 Chevy Engine Empty Re: HEI Ignitions on the Inline 6 Chevy Engine

Post by Vantasia Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:57 am

Good to know. Which one did you use? I've seen several on eBay...
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

HEI Ignitions on the Inline 6 Chevy Engine Empty Re: HEI Ignitions on the Inline 6 Chevy Engine

Post by kookykrispy Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:21 am

Great upgrade for the inline six. You can also widen your plug gaps to .045", and run a little more timing. For optimal performance, you can change advance springs and weights to dial in your advance curve. This would usually be done by trial and error at a dragstrip.

That's a neat little red van. It needs some cragars or mags!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:25 am

I have never liked GM's HEI!! wont use one!! here's what i do use!!= http://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-BBC-CHEVY-350-454-SMALL-BASE-HEI-READY-TO-RUN-DISTRIBUTOR-6701-R-/371113111566?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item566810b00e

also=http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-OUTPUT-E-CORE-COIL-12V-2041-RED-/371163812887?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item566b165417

but!! if u must=http://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-BBC-CHEVY-65K-RED-HEI-DISTRIBUTOR-6501-R-/331169190781?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d1b38d37d
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:17 am

twinpilot, those are nice, but that is a v8 application.  I am running that exact distributor on my '68 camaro because there was not enough firewall clearance to fit a HEI.  Its a pro-comp, and uses HEI style internals.  pretty much the same thing without the coil in the cap.  Good distributor, but nothing special.  Made in china, just like everything else 'pro comp'. Came with no instructions, and also did not work with my tach. There is a frustrating lack of support for pro comp stuff because it is so cheap. Sad

They all come from here: http://www.cnxianlong.com

The HEI is a good electronic upgrade for inline six.  Simple, reliable, easy to install and tune.  Sure is a hella lot better than points!

What specifically is your problem with the HEI anyway?  It has been my experience that it is a well designed, simple and effective ignition system, used by GM on hundreds of thousands of vehicles.

I just dropped a brand new HEI into the inline six in my wikivan.  Fired right up and runs great. Got it from ebay, so I'm sure its also mostly a chinese unit, but the seller claims the module is made in USA, and it uses standard HEI components which is handy for tuning and getting replacement parts easily.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:38 am

I was looking at this one....seems mid pack pricing, there are ones for $69 and others at $159, says the gear is better, who knows?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-STRAIGHT-6-HEI-Distributor-194-230-250-292-CRT-PERFORMANCE-QUALITY-/351197184623?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51c4fbc26f&vxp=mtr
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:03 pm

This was the HEI I recently bought and installed. http://www.ebay.com/itm/201164196072

Made in USA module, 50k coil, and a lifetime warranty! $70 shipped. It seems to be of good quality as far as I can tell. For what I paid for it, I'm quite impressed. I don't see a reason to spend more money.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:11 pm

Hey new GMAN from somewhere in Wisconsin.....
    We just lost our G-Man, Chris,  and there is no place on our site and in our hearts for another one,,,,,,
    can you start over with a new name?????

HEI Ignitions on the Inline 6 Chevy Engine G_man10
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:22 pm

Dont know why the Gman - name hasnt been reserved & put off limits in the joininng list?????????????? Evil or Very Mad Sad cyclops
    GMman
    GMman

Post by GMman Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:41 pm

Last edited by GMAN on Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : repetition)
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:17 pm

I've dealt with KMJperformance before, good seller. I've purchased several items from them on different occasions. Also reasonably priced and fast shipping, which I love, because when I need a part, I want it ASAP. I think I may have bought a distributor for them also maybe a year or two ago.
    GMman
    GMman

Post by GMman Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:32 pm

This is the First Gen-1 Chevy van that I have owned. I also own a 1976 swb Chevy G20. I have owned a 1971 G10 SportVan and A 1973 G10 CargoVan in the past.
    My 66 G10 needs a lot of work after sitting in the woods for many years but she has a strong heart. The carb was pretty clean and freed-up with the air cleaner in place. Something must have been living in the doghouse because there was remnants of fur on top of the manifold, I degreased the engine and washed the van inside and out at the local car-wash. The engine was freed up so I hooked up a battery and she turned over. I installed the dist,plugs,and wires. Removed the carb fuel filter (which was full of rust and dirt). The fuel pump was not working so I used a little funnel to fill the float bowl with gas. After a few attempts to start the 230 and a couple of backfires she took off and was running smooth on all 6. I just ordered a fuel pump this afternoon. I am working on the brakes and need to free up the throttle cable. As soon as I get the little G10 road-able, she is heading to the body shop.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:00 pm

Thats awesome dude! Way to go for saving the '66. You are truly bringing this thing back from the dea. I love the first gen vans the best. Would love to see some more pics, especially would be fun to have 'before' pics, since you are planning to fix it up.

Love to hear about the body shop plans. Thats really showing the old girl some real love. good for you.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:03 pm

Hey GMan ... Welcome in .... Glad to have you here with us .... it's kind of Ironic That you have selected the name GMAN on our forum... The name Gman  has been retired .. here on our Board .. The only diffrence is the  name that has been retired has a Dash in it Like G-Man ...... and that's the only reason ... you were able to register Your name like it is Now ..... were not trying to be hard to join up with here .. but we just Lost the Mayor of Vintage-Vans Last May OF THIS YEAR .... AND YOU GUESSED IT HIS NAME WAS G-MAN ...... Don't get us wrong .. we want to share all things Vintage vans Here ... But if you could Start over with a Different Name here ... it would be Greatly   appreciated here ..... by all of our members ..... Thanks' for your understanding .......  as the Name GMAN ... Will be Deleted ................. again ... Thanks' for your understanding in this Matter ......

Vanish ............

kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:13 am

How about maybe you admin guys can help him change it to something like: GVANMan? Or G10Man?

would these be acceptable?

Or how about GDUDE
    GMman
    GMman

HEI Ignitions on the Inline 6 Chevy Engine Empty GMAN stands for GM Man

Post by GMman Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:38 am

Sorry, but I can't change. I have owned GM vehicles all my life. I am an ASE certified GM mechanic. I worked at two different Chevy dealerships, and sold and installed tires at a Goodyear store in Chicago. I am here to make friends and share info, not be attacked and discriminated against my user name. GMAN stands for GM man, that's who I am.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:40 am

Seems pretty simple to me.  Welcome to the forum, GMAN.

Maybe the other guys can give you a pass, and be understanding. The name is fairly universal, and obviously the username you chose was not taken or blocked when you registered. I see it as another hardcore vanner carrying on the GM tradition. I don't think Chris "G-Man" would have minded.
    GMman
    GMman

Post by GMman Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:20 pm

Thanks Kooky!!!
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

Post by diamond dave Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:24 pm

Welcome to the site.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:23 pm

GMAN wrote:Sorry, but I can't change. I have owned GM vehicles all my life. I am an ASE certified GM mechanic. I worked at two different Chevy dealerships, and sold and installed tires at a Goodyear store in Chicago. I am here to make friends and share info, not be attacked and discriminated against my user name. GMAN stands for GM man, that's who I am.
     HEY..!!!..Maby you dont understand "English" out of "RESPECT" for our dear friend Chris Hattswell (GMan) pick another name or find another web site..!!!...I will only say this once.. Now you can Never say you were Never told.!!!..You were asked nicely lets keep it that way..

Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:06 pm

let me give you the simple answer,,,,,this is a privately owned site,,,,,,you are a guest here,,,,this is is our van playground,,,,,,and its our rules,,,,,,,and the  rule is play nice or you don't play at all,,,,,
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1731
    Registration date : 2008-05-01

Post by Admin Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:48 pm

I agree, out of respect for our lost Mayor G-man, that name here should forever be retired, in any shape or form...

but I think our new friend here came up with best solution that should satisfy all....

GMAN wrote:Sorry, but I can't change. I have owned GM vehicles all my life. I am an ASE certified GM mechanic. I worked at two different Chevy dealerships, and sold and installed tires at a Goodyear store in Chicago. I am here to make friends and share info, not be attacked and discriminated against my user name. GMAN stands for GM man, that's who I am.

What say you GMAN? instead of standing for GM man, be GMman! I can update your profile name with a few clicks of the mouse Wink
    GMman
    GMman

Post by GMman Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:04 pm

Sounds good to me chebby. I'm really sorry that the "G-Man" passed.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1731
    Registration date : 2008-05-01

Post by Admin Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:08 pm

as you can tell, we miss him very much Sad
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:27 pm

Thank You GMman...Welcome to VV..!!!.. cheers ..This is Our "Friend" Chris (G-Man) on the right... Very Happy ..HEI Ignitions on the Inline 6 Chevy Engine 105_0814

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 11:19 am