VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

How much for complete 9" Rear end?

Abitibi
    Abitibi
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2014-06-23

How much for complete 9" Rear end? Empty How much for complete 9" Rear end?

Post by Abitibi Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:18 pm

I'm slowly looking into swapping my 170 for one of its big brothers and trying to figure how much I should expect to pay for a complete 9" rear end? (fully dressed).

Might as well ask how much for the engine but there are too many variables to expect any decent answer!

Cheers
    Mr. D
    How much for complete 9" Rear end? 20140723
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

How much for complete 9" Rear end? Empty Re: How much for complete 9" Rear end?

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:55 am

variables? yes are!! Just like those pretty ladies in the pix!! = Variables!! rear ends - vary in location/ limited slip (posi) and gear ratios. here in NW= 100 bux min to adverage 350 complete- rebuilt 500-800. or go with a new one =spendy!! affraid
    Abitibi
    Abitibi

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2014-06-23

Post by Abitibi Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:47 am

OK, that will help me decided I should get a full part van or just the rear end on its own...

Cheers
    Mr. D
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:28 am

I got mine for $200. It's going to cost around $640 including tax to have the 3rd member completely rebuilt including a 3.70:1 pinion and ring swap and the axle bearings, races and seals replaced. The shop that will be doing the work is Driveline Service of Bellingham. They will be making me a new driveshaft as well. I can save some money if I just have them do the 3rd member and have our local parts house machinist do the axle bearings/races, but I'm not sure I like the way he's going to pull the races. He cut's them out.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:19 am

congratulations!! You have located an old style ="Smoke Wrench" mechanic!! He will burn the races out instaed of using a proper puller to get  them out!!  Maybe he will even burn the housing too!! affraid cheers  Then im sure he will offer a nice=I'm Sorry!! Did you have another housing?? affraid          Twisted Evil Sad Evil or Very Mad

Here in Spokane- there is a man that will build a 3rd. member with your parts (supplied) for $100.00 labor!! Of course- here isnt Seattle area either!! Lower costs around here!!
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:41 am

Yeah, that was my thought on the local guy. No doubt, It's hard to get the 3rd member done for less than $300 over here, with your own parts. They'll do it for $425, they supply the parts. I think the gear box is actually fine, looks great, but I need the gear ratio changed anyway. The axle bearings are no good, one in particular.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 6:34 am