VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Repair Replace Side Window Guide Track?

morbank
    morbank

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Repair Replace Side Window Guide Track? Empty Repair Replace Side Window Guide Track?

Post by morbank Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:22 am

Hi All,

I've got an issue with the window in my driver side door. The vertical window guide track that attaches in two places (one is near the door lock pull, and the other is at the bottom of the door) has broken at both ends. Anyone know the part #? As far as I can tell it doesn't seem to have any markings. And if it's a part I'm unlikely to find a replacement for could it be possible to get it repaired? Without the guide my window droops down and bends the catch for the door lock spring which in turn keeps the door from being able to stay closed. Keeps flying open every time I make a right turn!

Here's a few links to pictures of the part:

Side view: http://goo.gl/SB7Ve6

Top view: http://goo.gl/VnhK5L

Thanks for looking,
    Clay
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Repair Replace Side Window Guide Track? Empty Re: Repair Replace Side Window Guide Track?

Post by wideload Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:29 am

The metal is pretty thin but it can be welded back together. I had to do one on the 67 I had. Doesn't look like you've got anything missing. Only other option would be someone parting out a van.

Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Repair Replace Side Window Guide Track? Empty Re: Repair Replace Side Window Guide Track?

Post by Vantasia Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:40 am

Yeah, if you can't repair it, ask all the ads you see for parts vans and here if some one has one from a wreck.  Try some on line junk yards who mail order, there are a few with early vans in them.  One is EastWestAuto in OK, I've gotten several body parts like that from them, Google them. https://www.eastwestautoparts.com/ call and ask, they have several early vans in the yard, but they may want to only sell a whole door unless its damaged and then they might sell you the track.
    morbank
    morbank

Post by morbank Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:13 am

Thanks for the insight guys. Any idea what the actual part name is? It's a little tricky to describe.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:31 am

I developed the same issue in mine this late summer. Putting it off till winter to fix it. Is it the same part ( I call it the back window channel) 1st to 2nd gen? Not sure if it's an easy fix or not. Wondering if I have to remove the glass to get it out or just move things out of the way?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:56 am

find a tig welder!! Mig's ok yet tig will be better ! weld it back up & reinforce the weak areas underneath!! cheers
    morbank
    morbank

Post by morbank Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:23 am

@ Digz: On a 2nd gen if you roll the window up and take off the interior door panel you'll have access to unscrew the bottom connection. There's a square nut on the inside of the door and a phillips head bolt on the bottom of the door on the exterior. Then if you roll the window down the other connection point is next the door lock pull, in the window channel, just underneath the window fuzzy. My fuzzy is dried up and gone so I have easy access to the bolt.

@ Twinpilot001: I work in Burbank, California which has a pretty substantial industrial zone so i figure I gotta be able to find a tig welder that will help me out. I'll report back with any updates.

Clay

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 2:05 am