VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Sticky throttle

travis4prez
    travis4prez

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2012-06-20

Sticky throttle Empty Sticky throttle

Post by travis4prez Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:40 pm

I picked up a van from a member here, Anthony aka Dose, a couple weeks ago. Put in a radiator and drove it home 150 miles. With no problems, more or less. But it wasn't running well so i went to the parts store for tune up stuff. On the drive home, it was backfiring through the exhaust quite a bit and it felt like it was only running on 7 cylinders (318/auto). I assumed that the dead cyl was letting gas through to the exhaust. blah blah blah..... this could get long....
    To make this long story shorter, the carb floats sunk and was dumping gas into the manifold. So the carb has been rebuilt and new floats installed but the throttle is sticking. Its not the carb, its the cable. the cable is brand new. I didn't lube it at all before installing it. Figured that was done during production and I've loosened up the clamps at both ends to rule out binding. Do I need to pull it back out and run some light oil down it? or has someone else run into a similar problem and come up with a fix?

thanks
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Sticky throttle Empty Re: Sticky throttle

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:16 pm

Do you have a return spring at the gas pedal and on the carb linkage?
    sweetvan
    sweetvan

Number of posts : 242
    Registration date : 2013-12-16

Post by sweetvan Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:12 am

Travis,
    I've had the same problem with my '65 A 100 van with a 273 4 barrel. The throttle cable is difficult to lube because of the tight double wrapping. I was able to tape a paper cone around the disconnected carb end of the cable and brace it up to accept some oil over several hours.
    I had another problem with the cable getting too hot underneath by the exhaust manifold and pipe, so insulate that well.
    I also had to add another bungy cord to the gas pedal to help the return.
    Where was the replacement cable purchased? I'd think that would be difficult to find.
    Sweetvan
    travis4prez
    travis4prez

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2012-06-20

Post by travis4prez Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:25 am

I have a return spring on the carb but not the pedal. I also have the cable routed as far from the exhaust as possible but it still could get hot. this is the cable I put in:
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/csi-6008
    Looks to be the same as the one that came with the van. The previous cable had no issues.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:37 am

Remove the cable- see if it still has a problem?? if new -return it! you can also hand it vertically & put a small bag of oil on the upper end -so it can lube itself.  cheers 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 10:21 pm