VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

gas tank sending unit for a 66

ALLZS
    ALLZS

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2014-05-04

gas tank sending unit  for a 66  Empty gas tank sending unit for a 66

Post by ALLZS Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:20 am

where can I find a new fuel tank sending unit someone said rock auto had them but I can not find it on there web site ?
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

gas tank sending unit  for a 66  Empty Re: gas tank sending unit for a 66

Post by Digz Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:03 am

Nothing new for a first gen chevy. Improvise and adapt or have your old one rebuilt. I do not have the part number handy but have one I ordered that is "close" in design but has a 90 Ohm sending unit on it. The guys have the link or addy for a re-builder I'm sure and Don has come up with some aftermarket options also. See what they all say. Finding a good used one is possible but the parts in them are still ancient and tend to be in close to crap condition .
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:51 am

I take the guts off a $34 universal 30 ohm sending unit and screw it on our pick up tube,,,,,

gas tank sending unit  for a 66  Univ_s11

gas tank sending unit  for a 66  Univ_s15

gas tank sending unit  for a 66  Univ_s14

Last edited by donivan65 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:59 am

Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:00 pm

"Great Solution" I will be ordering one also hopefully soon..!!!...Doni I did not notice on mine is the Original float assembly Bolted or Tack welded on and what can I use for a screen/filter mine is missing.??..I have to drop the tank down again anyway to put the right O ring in and install my trailer hitch... When my gauge says Full I can still fit 5 more gallons in so something is going on there... I have 2 extra gas gauges and all 3 show a different fuel level.. scratch ..??? Thanks.....                                                                                              gas tank sending unit  for a 66  105_1069

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-10-11

Post by Xelmon Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:24 pm

Joe Van wrote:When my gauge says Full I can still fit 5 more gallons in so something is going on there...
    I noticed that on mine too, kinda nice how it works though. Below E I have 5 gallons, and above F is also 5 gallons. It's no 30 miles left until bone dry like my Civic, still, gets you a pretty good idea where the fuel level's at.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:55 pm

OK,,,,,the gas gauge needs ohms to operate,,,,,,,0 for EMPTY,,,,,,and for FULL,,,,30 for a 1st Gen, 90 for a 2nd Gen,,,,,,,,AND the sending unit gets those all its Ohms from the Right Rear shock absorber and only sends what the float lets through it to the gauge,,,,,,(it only means Ohms is EMPTY or Ohms is FULL) and thats what the gauge shows,,,,so the gauge just does what it is told,,,,,the deal is,,,,measure the resistance of your sending unit,,,,see if it reads 0-30 or 0-90,,,,,,Empty to Full,,,see that the ground wire on the shock absorber is good,,,,,then see if the float is bent correctly so that you got a few gallons left in the tank when it drops down,,,,,you can put the old float on the universal sender,,,,it mounts with a set screw....but they come with long float arms,,,,, you could get a fuel sock for the end of the pick up tube,,,,,,,but an inline fuel filter along the frame will do a good job too.....

gas tank sending unit  for a 66  Repair47

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 3:41 am