VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
RodStRace
Dawgboy
slowflapper
dix
Wheelie
9 posters

Ebay Fuel sender issues

Wheelie
    Wheelie

Number of posts : 322
    Registration date : 2013-02-22

Ebay Fuel sender issues Empty Ebay Fuel sender issues

Post by Wheelie Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:20 pm

I bought the eBay Sender that is supposed to fit our vans and it fits but I can't get it to work. When I ground the sender wire the guage shows full which usually means the wiring is good. When I test the ohms at the sender they read from 10-73 ish ohms empty to full. I always before installation bench test and that is what I found. Also I added a ground to the sender itself and attached it to the frame and another ground to the guage cluster. When its plugged in I get nothing from the guage as it only reads empty. The guage is getting voltage on the "I" terminal. I also verified that the sender wire is good from the guage to the tank with no shorts. I also tried the adjustable rheostat trick to see if adding resistance would help to no effect. Anyone for any input on this or insight? Thx!
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Ebay Fuel sender issues Empty Re: Ebay Fuel sender issues

Post by dix Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:02 pm

At the end of the sender you have a rubber hose to splice the sender to the supply fuel line . use a jumper wire around the rubber hose splice. from the factory there should have been a jumper there...

Post by Wheelie Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:09 pm

I already did that. I grounded the crap out of that thing today. I even made a jumper wire straight from the battery post.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:51 am

float got a hole in it? maybe it's sunk to the bottom of the tank?
    Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

Post by Dawgboy Mon May 06, 2013 11:10 am

I bought one of those too... I just rewired my van and it worked for 1 day... I was assuming I needed to redo the ground, but now you have me guessing on the quality...
    Wheelie
    Wheelie

Post by Wheelie Mon May 06, 2013 3:22 pm

When this tank runs out im going to pull the sender and see if its something I can fix. I am going to get it working before reinstalling it. I will let you know what I find.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon May 06, 2013 5:08 pm

Many have said that the replacement senders across the board are not up to OE quality levels. Lots of complaints about getting them to work, being accurate and lasting more than a few months.
    Best of luck to you, just know you are not alone!
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Tue May 07, 2013 11:16 am

RodStRace wrote:Many have said that the replacement senders across the board are not up to OE quality levels. Lots of complaints about getting them to work, being accurate and lasting more than a few months.
    Best of luck to you, just know you are not alone!

like Rod said, I got one of those ebay senders myself and it reads 1/4 or so less than whats really in the tank. I just left it that way so when I'm at E I really have a 1/4 tank left Smile

I actually keep it to at least 1/4-1/2 on the gauge so there's plenty extra
    Wheelie
    Wheelie

Post by Wheelie Tue May 07, 2013 11:52 am

Im used to poor quality chinese repop crap for sure. I get a daily dose working at the shop on all these old corvettes and their reproduction parts. It's very frustrating! Especially when the sender is on the side of the tank and the tank is nearly full like on the van.

Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

Post by Dawgboy Tue May 07, 2013 9:20 pm

Well... The plus side is at least you don't have to pull the tank! I still have my old one, mebbe I will try it again with my new harness...
    Wheelie
    Wheelie

Post by Wheelie Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:58 pm

So I finally got around to getting the sender out and tested and it is still working. I am trying to find out the factory ohms at empty and full. I can bend the tabs to adjust I just need those specs. I also think that my fuel guage internal voltage reducer burned up inside the original guages still in the van because my new guage set appears to actually show 5 volts at the A terminal which is spec. There is an internal resitor inside the guage that reduces the 12v input to 5 volt for the fuel and temp gauges.
    oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by oo3 Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:20 pm

if you are showing 5 v at the correct terminal on the back of the gauge it is not the regulator-( not a resistor) it could be okay - perhaps the winding for the gauge itself is burnt up - have had 2 of those repop senders ( on 2 different vehicles - 1st on even after adjusting still had a good 5 gallons when it showed e - the second on my current vehicle runs out of gas before it shows e ! have not tried to adjust yet though - oo3
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:07 pm

Wheelie
    Wheelie

Post by Wheelie Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:39 am

I have read all those posts and still not sure I got the answer I was looking for.....so in my last post I stated that I needed to know what the stock dodge guage needs to see ohms wise at empty and then at full. So is it 73ohms empty and 10 ohms full just like my sender? I cant find any specs in my service manual...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:34 am

Well,,,,,,,you have the most complicated fuel sender system there is,,,,,12 volts go to the gauge, the current limiter reduces the voltage to 5 volts for the gauge to work,,,,,,,they use a jumper wire around the fuel hose to ground the sending unit,,,,,,,,then there are companies that claim to build the correct sending units,,,,,and lots of aftermarket gauges and sending units out there.....so you have to see what you got,,,,,,,,you could get a 73 ohm resistor and  ground one end of it then hook the sending unit wire to it and turn the key on,,,,,,this is the signal that the sending unit sends when it sees an empty tank,,,,,,a 10 ohm signal is for a full tank,,,,,,this would test the gauge and wiring,,,,,,then put an ohm meter on the sending unit and see if it sends the same signal out as you move the float by hand,,,,,so see what you get,,,,,,,its just a process of elimination,,,,,but see if that 73/10 ohm setting is the correct one for your van.....the gauge and sender need to be a matched set,,,,they need to talk the same language,,,,,,so see if this information gets you closer to solving your problem,,,,,,,,
    Wheelie
    Wheelie

Post by Wheelie Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:10 am

Wow,the stock ohm specs is all I really needed. :)I understand how it works a little better now though :)I have noticed its real similiar to using a ballast resistor used on chevy etc. that have to step down the voltage  to run the coil. I have just never seen one this bass awkwards. Working on corvettes all days gets me a little snow blind when I swap over to other makes. cyclops The original fuel guage burned up so Im going to use the 5v computer chippy thing that gives it a good solid 5 volts and bypass that betallic spring regulator.
    dodge A-108
    dodge A-108

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2014-11-22

Ebay Fuel sender issues Empty tank sending unit

Post by dodge A-108 Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:09 am

Wheelie wrote:I bought the eBay Sender that is supposed to fit our vans and it fits but I can't get it to work. When I ground the sender wire the guage shows full which usually means the wiring is good. When I test the ohms at the sender they read from 10-73 ish ohms empty to full. I always before installation bench test and that is what I found. Also I added a ground to the sender itself and attached it to the frame and another ground to the guage cluster. When its plugged in I get nothing from the guage as it only reads empty. The guage is getting voltage on the "I" terminal. I also verified that the sender wire is good from the guage to the tank with no shorts.  I also tried the adjustable rheostat trick to see if adding resistance would help to no effect. Anyone for any input on this or insight? Thx!
    the OEM sending unit is still available part #4051004. and yes, its 11 and 73 ohms
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:26 pm

I checked with my friend at the dealership today.
    The part # is good, but it has been discontinued.
    He looked and found ONE listed in inventory in the US and gave me the phone number to that dealer. I called and they said that it was a mistake and that they did not have one.
    So unless you have an old school dealer that stocks stuff and is not on the national database (Is that even possible?), you won't find one at a Dodge dealer...
    I was really hoping....
    gary h
    gary h

Number of posts : 474
    Registration date : 2012-10-19

Ebay Fuel sender issues Empty ebay-fuel-sender-issues

Post by gary h Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:06 am

Why not find a correct A-100 Sender and have it rebuilt? There should be a few places that still rebuild them, check Hemmings. At least you know what you got rather than the China Garbage! Just Sayin.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 10:16 pm