VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

65 carb connections and jetting

Patchesroy
    Patchesroy

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2014-05-25

65 carb connections and jetting Empty 65 carb connections and jetting

Post by Patchesroy Thu May 29, 2014 4:49 pm

I was looking through my carb and I really want to get it just right. I want all the rods and springs set right. I was wondering if any one had pictures of there stock carb with all the connections and that vacuum thing. What's that called? Cause if there's a diaphragm in there it's probably dried out idk. Also rejetting does any one know the best jets to put in there. Thanks
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

65 carb connections and jetting Empty Re: 65 carb connections and jetting

Post by kookykrispy Thu May 29, 2014 5:30 pm

We will need alot more details to answer this... what year van, what engine, what carb??

A picture of your carb would really help
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu May 29, 2014 5:34 pm

these things come with 3 different carbs and anything that someone can get to fit......and are we talking about a 6 cylinder?

65 carb connections and jetting 3_carb10
    Patchesroy
    Patchesroy

Post by Patchesroy Thu May 29, 2014 7:11 pm

It's a 65 g10 with a 230 it's the monojet I'm pretty sure
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu May 29, 2014 8:13 pm

is it a manual or automatic or electric choke?
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Fri May 30, 2014 4:17 am

Here's my .02....first, get a shop manual reprint, $12-15 on eBay, has all the diagrams showing the throttle linkage and spring replacement. Get a new choke cable and stay with the manual choke set up. Unless you have a great running old carb that you are sure is worthy of rebuilding, don't waste time or money getting it rebuilt, any 50 year old carb, even after rebuilding will probably not run that great. I tried a $200 pro rebuilt Carter YF off eBay and it still had trouble with hesitation, the accelerator pump passage was just too worn out, same for shaft holes in the casting, loose butterfly. Plus new ethanol gas eats parts and old carb metal. The best thing to do is invest in a BRAND NEW ethanol proof carb, after all its the heart of your van and needs to be perfect like yours if you want to have a trouble free reliable and fun driving experience. The only problem is new 1 bbl carbs are hard to find, all the big makes have discontinued them. One company, Daytona in FL has them custom made from old Holley molds and that's what I bought, works fantastic runs like new and no gas leaks or hesitation with a stock points distributor. They set the linkage for your application, vans pull downward, opposite of most cars. It cost $300 plus shipping , but since a good rebuild will cost you $200 and even if you do it yourself is a crapshoot, the price for peace of mind was well worth it, less than the cost of one mag wheel and tire! check this out http://www.daytonaparts.com/ Again, MHO, others who are more savy with carb rebuilding may have other opinions, but this really worked for me....
    Patchesroy
    Patchesroy

Post by Patchesroy Fri May 30, 2014 5:00 am

Yea I always rebuild. But I don't want to get stuck on the right of the road cause of parts sticking together. Mmmmmmm options I'll look into getting a new one. You said there was like a Hanes manual for my van?
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Fri May 30, 2014 10:44 am

Yes, its a reprint of the GM supplement manual  here: New...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1965-1966-Chevy-Van-Repair-Shop-Manual-G10-Supplement-Chevrolet-/161288543838?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item258d8bde5e&vxp=mtr

Used:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-CHEVROLET-G-1205-VAN-ORIGINAL-SERVICE-SHOP-REPAIR-MANUAL-BOOK-64-/360763814568?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item53ff32f2a8&vxp=mtr

This shows everything everything for the 64-66 vans except the engine, trans internals and carb, for that it refers you to a 1963 GM truck manual, here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Chevrolet-Truck-Shop-Service-Repair-Manual-Engine-Drivetrain-Electrical-OEM-/130741201530?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e70c86a7a&vxp=mtr

As for the carb, great if you or anyone has a good rebuildable core or good running old carb, mine cam with a worn out Rochester B with an automatic choke set up that the van never had, that diaphram thing you refer to, it needs a thermal spring mechanisim on the exhaust manufold and a connecting rod to slowly open it up as the engione heats up unless its the electric one and wired properly, my PO put that carb on without the set that set up, that usually only came with automatic tranny vehicles as far as I know.../the correct carb is probably the Carter YF but they are very hard to find one in good rebuildable condition with the right linkage, the casting number on the side tells you which one is for a van, look at this link and scroll down to the chart, you will see there were only a few for your engine that are correct, most have the lever that pulls to right from the side or rear, the van pulls down to the left, you always modify anything to get it to work or go to a throttle cable setup that a lot of guys do to replace the linklage setup, lots of threads on that too!...I throw this and the idea of going new out there just to show you there is an alternative if you can't get a good rebuilt one to work, worth a try at first.  They still make kits for whatever you have, but the parts may not be ethanol proof so go new if doesn't work out, I am so satisfied I went in that direction.....also, a lot of peps here have swapped engines to V8's and have the old engines, carbs and air cleaners for the 6's around so ask if you need another carb...
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Fri May 30, 2014 8:01 pm

The monojet is an excellent carb if it is clean and working the way it should. In my opinion, the mono jet is the best choice out of those three.

I rebuilt my own Rochestor monojet about 5 years ago and it has worked very well for me since then. It is just a 1 barrel, very simple to rebuild. Rebuild kit is about $40. Another plus is then you have the correct carb, original for your van.

Here's pics of my monojet installed on my '64 chevy wikivan. Let me know if you need more angles.

65 carb connections and jetting DSC00313

65 carb connections and jetting DSC00312

Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Sat May 31, 2014 6:12 am

Here's the new Daytona Holley installed...
    65 carb connections and jetting Gedc0610
    65 carb connections and jetting Gedc0611
    Its shorter than a Carter or Rochester so I had to lower the air cleaner by bending the bracket down 3/4" which actually helps with clearance for hatch insulation! The round disc you see on the riser is because its a converted '66 air cleaner with a closeout plug where the vent tube attached; the '64 didn't use that set up, it goes directly to the manifold below the carb, each year/area sold was differently equipped.
    Good luck with whatever direction you go.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 8:36 pm