VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

stock 170 carb jetting

Mr.Fister
    Mr.Fister

Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2011-10-07

stock 170 carb jetting Empty stock 170 carb jetting

Post by Mr.Fister Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:50 pm

well apparently i got some trash in one of the jets on my carb so im gonna have to take them out and i was wondering if it would be worth anything to swap them out for a slightly different size. as far as i know the only thing done is a more free flowing exhaust so i doubt i would see any gains from different jets but i figured it would be a good time to tinker with it if there was a better option than the factory size. its a 1965 170 with the stock carb (as far as i know) any advice is appreciated thanks
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

stock 170 carb jetting Empty Re: stock 170 carb jetting

Post by Seth G Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:00 am

If the plugs look good, I'd leave it be. A lot of times the size should be increased a size or 2 to compensate for crappy modern gas which tends to run leaner than the leaded gas of the 60's.
    Barnabas
    Barnabas

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:01 pm

Mr.Fister
    Mr.Fister

Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2011-10-07

Post by Mr.Fister Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:52 pm

thanks for the chart and the diagram barnabas...i took the top off the carb today and checked the main and the needle valve and i couldnt find any trash in there. i put it back together and the same problem was happening...it would idle high like normal and run fine with the choke wide open but when i slowly let off the choke about half way it would start sputtering and die. i could start it back up with the choke on but everytime about half choke it would start to die. i guess im gonna have to dig a little deeper
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:16 pm

I assume you meant "run fine with the choke closed". Has the carb ran ok since you've owned the van? Mine did this when I first got it, so I rebuilt it and found 1 check ball missing and the check weight missing on the other check ball. Also could be a vacuum leak, idle circuit plugged, etc. Give it a good cleaning and rebuild with a descent kit and it will probably be fine. Not sure what carb you have, I assume an 1100, if so be aware that the tops on those are the weak point and can have sealing problems b/c they tend to warp. I had that problem with mine but it sealed itself up once the gasket swelled. I think you can soak the bowl gasket in gasoline for a time before assembly and it will help.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 6:51 pm