VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Axle help??

Axle help?? Empty Axle help??

Post by Guest Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:28 pm

Can you ID this hub ? It was under a 56 GMC PICKUP entire axle was removed The Axle was bent, after having a machine shop replace the kingpins and bushings in a replacement axle I found (from a 55 Chevy 1/2 ton) threw it under the truck connected the drag an steering arms that were on it. Thinking to have it aligned later. 6 years
    later now and decided to finish it, I discover the spindles, hubs, and steering will not work on my 56. Apparently they bored the spindles to fit
    the 56 axle, didn't tell me that? bump stop does not line up nor the steering links? I wish I had not junked the bent axle, I need to find out what it came off of? It's looking like it may be easier to replace what ever axle it was rather than try to find good 49-54 Chevy hubs 5 X 4 3/4 pattern. If and when you reply I can send pictures to help! Would a great help Thanhttp://www.dropshots.com/tomb23
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Axle help?? Empty Re: Axle help??

Post by donivan65 Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:49 pm

The early chevy vans have a bolt hole pattern of 4 3/4"

Axle help?? Dropax10

Axle help?? Spindl10

Axle help?? Kingpi10

Axle help?? Repair10

Post by Guest Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:21 pm

That's It !! Prefect match!!

Now all I have to do is find a replacment ???
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:15 pm

So these hubs and spindles are on a pick up axle? The 1st Gen, (1964-66) and 2nd Gen, (1967-70), Chevy/Gmc Van front axles have different U bolt hole patterns because they have different sized front springs. So how wide are your springs?

Post by Guest Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:12 am

Well the springs are 2" wide, van or pickup springs ? Don't know as of now?

The Van spindles are now on a pickup axle, NOT WORKING OUT ! Although the STANCE looks nice Low Down in the front, dropped about 2".
    Steering rod bolt pattern different by 1/2" or so? Anyway going to have to go back to pickup front axle, find early Chevy Pass. hubs or pay the big boucks for a Disc brake conversion in order to retain the 5X4 3/4 lug pattern. Would hate to have to carry 2 spare tires !!!

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:02 pm

bringing post back from the dead- any one ever figure out the difference in steering arm mounting bolt patterns for the different years?

thanks,
    rick
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:49 pm

The pattern is the same but the drag link mounting and taper are 180 degrees out as well as the height and length of the arm are different,,,,,,,,,
    pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Post by pan58head Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:59 pm

Hey Donivan is the bolt pattern where the backing plate mounts the same for the truck spindle as the van spindle, is so I might have found a cheap place to get disc brake brackets Bob
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:27 pm

The problem is, disk brakes were made for coil spring suspensions with control arms,,,,,,so the spindle is different and we got shock absorbers and sway bars in the way. ,,,,,,,but we got 5 brackets now that bolt on to solid axle spindles. The rear backing plates on a chevelle are the same as a van and they make disk brake kits for it, but I can measure the front backing plate/spindle holes,,,,,but the backing plates are different from the front and back. I don't know what the pick up has...... so are you just talking about a bracket that will mount onto a bare solid axle spindle? And then you need a rotor that fits the calipers, spindle and bearings,,,,,

Axle help?? Disk1b10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:14 pm

Here are 3 of the 5 types of front disk brackets on our vans,,,,,,

Axle help?? Bracke10
    pan58head
    pan58head

Post by pan58head Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:44 pm

Sorry doni I should have been more clear< I was talking about the front spindles. I found a place that sells brackets for 47-59 chevy spindles, and from what research i have done. The top holes are 3.5 apart on the truck and van spindles. I might just order the brackets and try them bob
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:53 pm

We are talking front spindles,,,,getting something to fit,,,,,but those brackets also need to fit calipers that fit rotors that fit our spindles,,,,,so I guess buying them and seeing if they work is probably the only way to find out,,,,,(then trading in your van for a pick up if they dont)
    pan58head
    pan58head

Post by pan58head Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:59 pm

The brackets are alreay set up for the 73-77 calipers and look just like the orginal nova brackets. I'm going to order a set worse can happen i sen them back Bob
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:47 pm

That's why I put up pictures of some of the brackets,,,,,,they all work ,,,,,they all sit at a different angle,,,,,they use different rotors and calipers,,,,,,,

Axle help?? Repai107

Axle help?? Repai108

Axle help?? Repai109
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:59 am

Why try to re-invent the wheel?

I can assure you I have allready been through all of that 47 times.

The van spindle bolt patern is not the same as anyother GM product other then one from the forties. I can post the diagram of then all if you like.

Like Don is alluding to; there are many many more fit issuse and demensions to be considered then simply what caliper or what bracket might bolt to the spindle.
    We have all partisipated in the progresion of front disc brakes for these vans and each newer generation of bracket over comes previously not thought of problems that came up. I personally have spent several thousand dolars going through all this over several years of research and development.

If you feel you must try to find a "cheeper" way then I encourage you to forge ahead. But I also know from expirience that you are going to spend the same several thousand dollars I allready have just to get to where we allready are.
    The key to a good funtioning disc brake will be in the bracket designed to accomadate all of the other 732 considerations that need to match up in the end product.like what caliper(theres about 30 things that need to be considered there) What brake hose( about another 22 considerstions) and the rotor( about 50 considerations spred over sveral different opptions, options that change everything else again) The vans shocks, the sway bar , wheel fit and position, alignment issuses, the list goes on.

The cheepest and least frustrating way to have disc brakes for an early G van will be to buy a set of brackets allready produced for these vans. Which by the way have been developed to come in at a simular price to most any other brake conversion kit for other vehicles. excluding those made in China generic kits that are availible with multy part brackets with adapters and shims and made in china calipers and rotors. I've seen a few of those installed and then taken back off in the same season with the owner bitching about the 6 or 700 dollars wasted by the time he had his old brakes re-installed.

for your pick up truck, I think you are right, it might be cheepest to just get the correct axle with spindles. Then you would likely find an aftermarket disc brake set up through Brothers or LMC ready to fit.

M1D

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:31 pm