VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
busman78
CJ66
6 posters

The right axle for a V8?

CJ66
    CJ66

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2017-01-05

The right axle for a V8? Empty The right axle for a V8?

Post by CJ66 Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:04 pm

It have been working on Alice between school, graduation and finally earning my Eagle rank.
    I spun a bearing on the slant six and needed to find a new engine this Spring. I read several topics on the site and decided to spend about the same $ and get a V8. Well it started that way. Since my Dad and some of his demented Hot Rod buddies offered to help as a gift for my Eagle I jumped in head first. Now for the purest, close your eyes. This is more of a hot rod/rat rod and every panel has a dent so no concourse show coming up.

https://servimg.com/view/19596739/9
    https://servimg.com/view/19596739/10
    https://servimg.com/view/19596739/11

I found a 2007 corvette engine with an automatic transmission and with a standalone wiring harness she runs GREAT. I kept the gauges analog except for the speedo and tach. I installed a chevy tahoe fuel pump to keep the fuel psi at 54.

I also installed a Scarebird front disc kit and a corvette master cylinder to stop her. I went from 101 hp to 345 hence the reason for this question.

The plate on the driver's side door sill shows I have 3.55 rear gearing. I do not intend to get stupid with the van but...... Any feedback if this gearing is strong enough?

Thanks CJ
    busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

The right axle for a V8? Empty Re: The right axle for a V8?

Post by busman78 Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:53 am

The rear will handle a V8, very meaty, 3.55 will launch the van nicely, if you plan on cruising a lot might consider 3.25 gears or even 3.00 to lessen the rpm's.
    CJ66
    CJ66

Post by CJ66 Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:08 am

Thank you I will look into that. What about traction bars, are they necessary or is there another way to secure the axle for piece of mind??

Number of posts : 434
    Registration date : 2016-10-18

Post by 69 Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:44 am

IIRC Mopars in general are not in need of traction bars due to their geometry of the rear axle. i'm not 100% sure if this applies to the vans as well. The relevant difference is, that the rear axle is not centered on the rear springs. Check your truck if that's true for the truck as well.

The rear axle is pretty much the same (usually the 741 case, the number is casted on the driver side) as in any Mopar. As such, it should not have any problem with your 345hp engine - that's like the output of a 383high comp. But you should be aware, that a lock might be a good idea.

With the 3.55, you can have much fun at the stop light, beating almost anything... Cool
    I'd leave it that way...
    busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Post by busman78 Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:55 am

Secure it from what? That rear is secured to some rather beefy leaf springs by four 1/2" diameter u-bolts so unless you plan on doing a lot of 5K rpm stop light launches traction bars are not needed. These rears were also used in some big block vehicles, although they got the sure grip (posi) which is a nice addition even for a stocker. The only thing traction bars might do is make other drivers wonder what you really have and make it harder for someone to steal the rear if that is what you mean by secure. Use the traction bar money for a posi unit.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:52 pm

I would recommend getting that computer out of the doghouse if that's what that is mounted behind the engine.
    CJ66
    CJ66

Post by CJ66 Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:24 pm

Busman78 & 69 thank you for the tech I will not be 5k launching for sure but simply wanted to know the stock axle will hold up to regular beach days.

Seth G. thsnk you for the note. I have the same computer in its stock mount next to the front of the block on a Suburban. I have a temp gun and I will monitor how hot it gets during daily driving.

Cheers!!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:02 pm

The 8.75 axle was used behind hemi auto drivetrains in cars. While anything mechanical 40 years old should be inspected when increasing the workload, the design is strong enough for your upgrade unless you are really slamming the power to it and have sticky wide tires.

The right axle for a V8? Drag-Racing-Car-Wheel-In-Slow-Motion-Gif
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:23 am

CJ66 wrote:It have been working on Alice between school, graduation and finally earning my Eagle rank.
    I spun a bearing on the slant six and needed to find a new engine this Spring. I read several topics on the site and decided to spend about the same $ and get a V8. Well it started that way. Since my Dad and some of his demented Hot Rod buddies offered to help as a gift for my Eagle I jumped in head first. Now for the purest, close your eyes. This is more of a hot rod/rat rod and every panel has a dent so no concourse show coming up.

https://servimg.com/view/19596739/9
    https://servimg.com/view/19596739/10
    https://servimg.com/view/19596739/11

I found a 2007 corvette engine with an automatic transmission and with a standalone wiring harness she runs GREAT. I kept the gauges analog except for the speedo and tach. I installed a chevy tahoe fuel pump to keep the fuel psi at 54.

I also installed a Scarebird front disc kit and a corvette master cylinder to stop her. I went from 101 hp to 345 hence the reason for this question.

The plate on the driver's side door sill shows I have 3.55 rear gearing. I do not intend to get stupid with the van but...... Any feedback if this gearing is strong enough?

Thanks CJ

The rear end should be fine, the same setups were used in muscle cars of the era as well. I'd be more worried about the old ball and trunnion u-joint in the drive shaft if you have one.

And, 355 gears are tall, you'll need to run 15" rims and decent tires or it'll be screaming from an rpm perspective at 55mph. I had 355 gears with the factory 14" rims that can on the van, had to step the gears down to 292 or so to level it out (Im not hot rodding around in it)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:19 pm