VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

won't idle without choke and dies at stops

hutch73
    hutch73

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2013-03-10

won't idle without choke and dies at stops Empty won't idle without choke and dies at stops

Post by hutch73 Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:23 pm

having some problems with my 69 g10. it starts and drives fine but when I come to a stop it dies unless I open the choke. it also doesn't idle unless I have the choke on. I tried seafoam bu that didn't help. I'm thinking this is a carb issue? should I just buy a new one and put it on myself or pay a guy to work on the original one. both would be about the same price. or maybe something else is the problem. what do you guys think?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

won't idle without choke and dies at stops Empty Re: won't idle without choke and dies at stops

Post by donivan65 Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:31 pm

1st,,, make sure the points are adjusted correctly,,,,,,then spray some carb cleaner down into the carb when it runs badly,,,,,,,if it gets better,,,,,spray the outside of the carb and the intake manifold gasket and see if that makes the engine run better,,,,,,,,,,,then try adjusting the mixture screw,,,,,,,
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

won't idle without choke and dies at stops Empty Re: won't idle without choke and dies at stops

Post by vanner68 Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:57 pm

Sounds like a vacuum leak.

Do you have the inline 6?

The carburetor on those is known to have issues with the screws that hold the base to the carb coming loose, and causing the symptoms you describe.

If you remove the carb, you will see two phillips head screws on the bottom. These are the ones that loosen up and create a vacuum leak at the carb base.
    hutch73
    hutch73

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2013-03-10

Post by hutch73 Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:58 pm

good call on the points, I'll check those. it's a 307
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:23 am

From the symptoms you describe, it's gotta be a carb issue. The idle circuit is not providing enough fuel to keep it running, either because it's plugged or because you have a massive vacuum leak below the throttle diluting the AF mixture. Pulling the choke closes off the top of the carb causing the engine's vacuum to draw fuel from the venturis at idle (something that would otherwise only happen during normal operation of the throttle)
    A good reman carb should definitely solve the issue! When replacing the carb, pay special attention to the fitment of the gasket to both the carb bottom and the manifold to make sure the two are sealed together. It's not unusual to find wrong gasket use leaving gaping hole in the seal!
    Another thing I'd suggest is a good inline filter just ahead of the carb
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:38 am

AzDon wrote:
    Another thing I'd suggest is a good inline filter just ahead of the carb
    Just to clarify....
    A good STEEL inline filter. The plastic ones are a fire waiting to happen...
    VCVCSmiley
    VCVCSmiley

Number of posts : 73
    Registration date : 2010-09-16

Post by VCVCSmiley Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:19 am

I've had the same issue. Half a can of carb cleaner while the engine was running cleared that up in less than 5 minutes. Apparently, they get dirty on the inside. Who knew?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 7:13 pm