VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Needs 67 Econo parts advice

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1731
    Registration date : 2008-05-01

Needs 67 Econo parts advice Empty Needs 67 Econo parts advice

Post by Admin Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:20 am

I have a 67 Ford Econoline 8 door and I'm trying to find a brake master cylinder for it. The problem is I've been told its a midyear split and they only made the brake master for that model. Is there any way to adapt a brake master from a 66 to fit and work. My other problem is trying to find leaf spring bushings for the front. I'd really like some feedback on on this issue if you can. Thank You
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Needs 67 Econo parts advice Empty Re: Needs 67 Econo parts advice

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:25 pm

The 67 is a one year only application dual chamber master cylinder. Just send it off to White Post Restorations and they can resleeve it and it'll be good as new. "Piece of cake' as they say. Try Mac's in N.Y. for the bushings or any major local spring shop should have or be able to get them.
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:39 pm

I purchased new front leaf spring bushings and front shackles from Palmer Spring in Providence RI. They get them from a nationwide wholesaler. The front shackles are discontinued but some of the warehouses still have some on the shelf. They are about half the price Mac's charges.
    If you do not have a 67 dual reservoir master cylinder to send out as a core I have a few here. You can use a 61-66 master cylinder but will also have to use the pedal. They are offset differently. Also they use a pressure type switch with different wiring, which can be adapted. You will also have to modify the brake lines. The cost of a new 61-66 master cylinder is around $100.00 plus the pedal, switch and lines. For $150.00 you can have your original 67 dual reservoir resleeved and rebuilt with a lifetime warranty from White Post. If you don't have an original 67 a core is around $150.00 ! The 67 setup is the best way to go but the 66 will bolt in. You can also adapt a $35.00 Maverick manual drum brake master cylinder by making a bracket.
    Needs 67 Econo parts advice Master12
    77 Maverick master cylinder
    Fred
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067

Post by sasktrini Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:57 pm

Isn't it illegal to downgrade the dual system from 67 to a single from a pre 67? From an original equipment perspective?
    crazee

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Post by crazee Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:01 am

fmc56 wrote:................................................... You can also adapt a $35.00 Maverick manual drum brake master cylinder by making a bracket.
    Needs 67 Econo parts advice Master12
    77 Maverick master cylinder
    Fred

Man.... a bit more info and such on that Maverick brake set up would be great. Looks like something I might want to do.
    Smile
    fmc56
    fmc56

Post by fmc56 Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:02 pm

The bracket is easy to make but it does position the master cylinder back. I also had to space the sway bar down 1/2". I have one bracket left that I made that just needs to be drilled. If you have disc brakes use a 77 Maverick manual disc brake master cylinder, for drum brakes use a 77 Maverick manual drum brake master cylinder. You will also have to make a longer actuator rod or buy one from total performance. They aslo sell a tee fitting with the propr outlets to mount a pressure type brake light switch.Here's some more photos of the bracket. Mine has been in use for over ten years with both drum and disc front brakes.
    Fred
    Needs 67 Econo parts advice Master13

Needs 67 Econo parts advice Master14

Needs 67 Econo parts advice Master15

Needs 67 Econo parts advice Master16

Needs 67 Econo parts advice Brake_10
    fmc56
    fmc56

Post by fmc56 Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:04 pm

sasktrini wrote:Isn't it illegal to downgrade the dual system from 67 to a single from a pre 67? From an original equipment perspective?
    They don't inspect vehicles with antique plates in Rhode Island or Maine which is where I have mine registered.
    Fred
    crazee

Number of posts : 331
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

Post by crazee Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:54 am

Thanks so much for the indepth reply with the really great pics!

Definately looks like some I'll try myself this summer.
    Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:49 am