VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
Big W
BoneMan
Digz
jimthefred
Twinpilot001
Joe Van
Dawgboy
vanner68
slowrider
13 posters

MOST LIKELY TO BURN. And the winner is...

slowrider
    slowrider

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2011-07-15

MOST LIKELY TO BURN. And the winner is... Empty MOST LIKELY TO BURN. And the winner is...

Post by slowrider Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:36 am

MOST LIKELY TO BURN. And the winner is... <a href=MOST LIKELY TO BURN. And the winner is... GEDC0085_zps3ba0a1a1" />Heres a pic of the po.s fine wireing job. Is the junction box on the floor stock for a 65 chevy?Is this a ground block?
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

MOST LIKELY TO BURN. And the winner is... Empty Re: MOST LIKELY TO BURN. And the winner is...

Post by vanner68 Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:38 am

That's a Radio Shack terminal strip Not Stock, and a piss poor location for it besides.
    slowrider
    slowrider

MOST LIKELY TO BURN. And the winner is... Empty Re: MOST LIKELY TO BURN. And the winner is...

Post by slowrider Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:04 pm

[img]MOST LIKELY TO BURN. And the winner is... GEDC0086_zpse0b67f99[/img] heres the block. im geusing its for ground?
    slowrider
    slowrider

Post by slowrider Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:13 pm

One of the things i need to get straightend out is my feul gage.With a full tank it reads just over half full.As the tank emtys the gauge will work till just above a quarter tank and then bounces from emty for a while then reads emty.At emty im abought 8 gallons from full.Where do i start?
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:14 pm

No. Each terminal on the bottom is connected to the upper terminal by the metal strap under the screw. The only ones that should be ground are the screws on each outer end, or if one of the wires go to ground.

IMO, I would yank all of it and start over fresh, looks like it all owner installed accessories.

Fuel gauge issue sounds like a bad ground at the tank, or a bad sender.
    Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

Post by Dawgboy Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:33 pm

That's worse than mine looked in the middle of rewiring, when I had 2 harnesses installed...

I would be very careful...

Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:47 pm

You sure got your hands full I am with vanner 68 take your time and eliminate all that add on stuff that terminal switch block has to go.!!!. It looks like most of it is the stereo wires after market gauges and a power outlet..It might not look to bad when you get all the wires that were added out does it have factory fuse box also I assume.??..                                                                                                                                                  MOST LIKELY TO BURN. And the winner is... 10914712
    slowrider
    slowrider

Post by slowrider Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:38 pm

[img]MOST LIKELY TO BURN. And the winner is... GEDC0087_zpsab50d823[/img]The guages are after market.They basicly cut the dashout with the wires.Even the light and ignision switch was replaced.Alot of wires to nowhere.
    slowrider
    slowrider

Post by slowrider Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:40 pm

[img]MOST LIKELY TO BURN. And the winner is... CopyofGEDC0088_zpscbca935c[/img]this is a shot under the steering wheel.
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:41 pm

That explains the fuel gauge issue.

Most aftermarket gauges need a 90 ohm sender, stock first gen is 30 ohms.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:55 pm

affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 
    slowrider
    slowrider

Post by slowrider Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:07 pm

[img]MOST LIKELY TO BURN. And the winner is... GEDC0095_zpse85a26fe[/img] theres even some spliced in eletrical cord.Swaping the 6 for an 8 doesnt expain this mess.
    slowrider
    slowrider

Post by slowrider Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:15 pm

Twinpilot001 wrote:affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 
    That makes me fee a whole lot better. Very Happy 
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:37 pm

Its just very sad = PO's do this when they shouldnt even attempt it!! Best to get a wiring bundle from a van / or new one -aftermarket & re-do all ! That wiring in the van will only cause you problems & is a hazzard -esp when driving!! someone here =maybe has an xtra used harness?? Lets hope!!!!!!!!!! cheers 
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:53 pm

This is one of those things that should be done once and done right.

First decide if you want aftermarket or original gauges. Once you have the gauges you want, start at the headlights and work your way back, replacing all the wiring. It's all 50 years old and brittle in many places.

Don't make your thread title prophetic, do it right and drive worry free.
    slowrider
    slowrider

Post by slowrider Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:29 pm

Im going to stick with after market guages only because the origial cluster and more were cut out with a torch. Imay replace the curent ones.Ill start from the begining.I found this van sitting with weeds upto the windows.I didnt even think it had a motor in it.The faded forsale sign said $1200.00I snaged it for $500.00 Other than replaceing the tires,i dont have a lot invested in it yet. The guy i got it from was the son of the original owner.His dad was a carpet layer and i supose he added all the shag carpet.He told me the dad originaly stuck a 327 in it that was later replace with a new crate 350. He said the reason he quit driveing it was he couldnt figure out how to fix the brake lights.I replaced the brake light switch.Its been my daily driver till the begining of winter when i parked it after the throttle cable broke.I ve hit the hell out of the yards looking for donor parts with none found. As for the prophetic post, ill be glad to give the trophy to the vanner whos wireing is worse. cheers Im thankfull that i have this comunity of knowledgable folks to help me solve thse problems and fix it right.
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:35 pm

$500 and you've driven it? Not a bad deal, so at least you know the general condition of the van. Time to fix the f-ups!
    jimthefred
    jimthefred

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2012-01-15

Post by jimthefred Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:42 pm

Get a new harness from painless or wireworks. They have universal ones and they have GM color coding.For less than $200 you will have a better MODERN harness with room for all the toys SAFELY! Im doing it with mine so you're not alone!
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:52 pm

Neat wiring is not my strong suit. I don't know how these guys make it look so good.
    MOST LIKELY TO BURN. And the winner is... E_flas10
    BoneMan
    BoneMan

Number of posts : 169
    Registration date : 2011-06-23

Post by BoneMan Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:12 pm

Sorry to see such a wiring mess. Hope it works out otay.

~~~
    You are not alone.  I have PO's leaving messes like this for me - the rack below is far from the worst I have to deal with.

MOST LIKELY TO BURN. And the winner is... Dscn0223
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:07 pm

......As for the prophetic post, ill be glad to give the trophy to the vanner whos wireing is worse. cheers Im thankfull that i have this comunity of knowledgable folks to help me solve thse problems and fix it right.[/quote]....Does this count as bad wiring...lol.MOST LIKELY TO BURN. And the winner is... Copy_o10
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:27 pm

Mine was pretty bad, but not that bad, it still worked.

MOST LIKELY TO BURN. And the winner is... IMG_20120528_173616

after

MOST LIKELY TO BURN. And the winner is... CAM00592_zps06d4ed62
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:03 pm

Actually all of mine still works as well. I pulled everything down to go through it and find out why there were extra wires up under the dash not hooked up to anything. Then I found that there were at least 3 different harnesses used to feed wires back to the 240 that was in this van. And found more wires not hooked up to anything inside the dog house. Removed all spliced in wires and removed all the harness that went to the motor. I ran new wires to the new motor and now it's just a matter of tying everything back up. It looks worse then it is, but still a lot of work cleaning it all up. Also thinking on istalling new fuse panel and redoing a lot of this. I'm at a cross roads with it. I hope you get yours all sorted.
    drc

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2010-09-13

Post by drc Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:46 pm

Hey, I like that 8 track player! Who's on that tape, Steppenwolf?

MOST LIKELY TO BURN. And the winner is... CAM00592_zps06d4ed62[/quote]
    mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

Post by mikeysly Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:07 am

hey Boneman! what is your photo of?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 5:49 pm