VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

65 Sportvan build/ownership thread

64 Hooch Hauler
    64 Hooch Hauler

Number of posts : 84
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

65 Sportvan build/ownership thread Empty 65 Sportvan build/ownership thread

Post by 64 Hooch Hauler March 2nd 2014, 16:51

This is my second G-10, first one road worthy. Basic stats: 230 six, 3 on the tree. Motor and trans have about 1400 on them from a 1999 receipt I got with it. King pins were done, front springs and bushings too. It has a points distributor still, electric fuel pump. Both of which I'll ditch soon enough. I have a HEI and the correct fuel pump. PO installed electric pump after having vapor lock issues.

Things to do this week: put the new tires on it. I've got 205/75/14 Winter Force for the rear and 215/70/14 Eldorado's for the front. Those were junkyard scores, the fronts.

Also to do, find the draft under the dash. The stock insulation panel is missing and carpet is there. The holes for the pushpins that held the original stuff are still there, so those are where il start. I also have to replace the heater control unit to the left of the blower. Thankfully o have one that's intact and working. Then the speedometer needs to be replaced or the needle put back on. Odometer works, no needle in sight.

Farther down the list, paint and company decals.

Farther down than that, find and eliminate as many whistles as possible! Ill post some pictures this week.
    chopper tom
    chopper tom

Number of posts : 87
    Registration date : 2014-02-24

65 Sportvan build/ownership thread Empty Re: 65 Sportvan build/ownership thread

Post by chopper tom March 2nd 2014, 17:44

Sounds like some fun times ahead !
    I gotta find a place to buy some 14'' tires too ,mines shot?
    are you gonna airbrush the company name on her?
    64 Hooch Hauler
    64 Hooch Hauler

Post by 64 Hooch Hauler March 2nd 2014, 18:54

The pick a part sells tires for 1 dollar per inch. Got lucky on finding a matching pair. For logo, vinyl lettering. I'm NO good with the airbrush.
    64 Hooch Hauler
    64 Hooch Hauler

Post by 64 Hooch Hauler March 23rd 2014, 17:56

I've got all my summer tires mounted. Still running the studs in back, we may get snow again tomorrow, but man I'm ready for spring.

I've dealt with the run on issues, it was an intake leak. Still working on the running hot issue. I switched back to a stock fan today, I figure the flex fan was good for HP, but not for cooling. Not enough airflow at 60. We'll see tomorrow. At 30 degrees, I was seeing 190ish at 60 after 20 miles, with a 160 thermostat.

Also looking for a 200r4 local. I need overdrive!!

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t39767-65-w-230-6cyl-has-run-on-issues

That's a link to the thread on run on issues and heat.
    64 Hooch Hauler
    64 Hooch Hauler

Post by 64 Hooch Hauler April 6th 2014, 17:37

Well, lots have gone on. The temp issue was not as bad as I thought. It was bothering me that the thermostat didn't open until 175, even though it was a 160. So after sticking a new 2 core (one inch tubes) in, it still did it. So I left the cap off and stuck a thermometer in the fluid. With a steady 185 on the gauge, I had a reading of 171 in the radiator. That's at idle, it would drop slightly when I gave it some gas, and without the aux fan going.

We'll see on Tuesday how it goes down the road. I also changed the fuel pump back to a stock one. I had done a pressure check on the electric pump and it was over 8lbs! That's with the Mr.Gasket regulator set at 1.5lbs. I know that was a low number, but I kept turning it down because it acted like too much pressure. There had been fuel in the vent tube and fuel would puddle on the butterfly at idle. Some icing of the carb base, so I suspect the exhaust heating the intake isn't quite working right.
    Runs much better now. I've had 4 cars with that crummy regulator, one leaked almost from new, one wouldn't flow anything, and two flowed unrestricted. Just a real bad part.
    The radiator was tough, the design is for a nova, so the mounting plates on the side are way too big and on the wrong side as well. I trimmed them down, drilled to match the stock one and made 4 stand offs to make it fit in the stock location. The radiator is also 4 inches shorter, so the lower rad hose had to be sectioned. I used the outflow section of an old water pump to join the two half's back together. The spring was cut and put in each end. Worked well so far, no leaks. The sway bar had to come out to get it in, and off course 3 of the bolts broke. That's a project for another day.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 18:21