VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
donivan65
Nightmoves
Lazarusvan
7 posters

1st Gen Chevy Fuel Tank Line Sizes

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

1st Gen Chevy Fuel Tank Line Sizes Empty 1st Gen Chevy Fuel Tank Line Sizes

Post by Lazarusvan Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:41 pm

I am sure this has been discussed many times, but can anyone tell the sizes and run lengths of these two hoses? Any brands better than others or just standard eth resistant hose? Could one run a flexible stainless and never replace them again or is that a fire hazard?

Crusty, to say the least, and leaking.

1st Gen Chevy Fuel Tank Line Sizes Van_ho10
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

1st Gen Chevy Fuel Tank Line Sizes Empty Re: 1st Gen Chevy Fuel Tank Line Sizes

Post by Nightmoves Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:12 pm

The best I can remember of this was,it's an odd ball fuel line size. 1 3/8" I'm sure others can help ya on pinpointing where to find.But make sure its a Fuel line and not just a hose.Material may break down.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12244
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:55 pm

Peoples use about a foot of  1 1/2" fuel filler hose from Napa and squash it down to fit if they can't find the REAL 1 3/8" stuff,,,,,,,the vent line is 1/2"  PCV hose.......

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Fuel-Tank-Filler-Neck-Hose-1-5-/_/R-NBH1030_0433183193
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:17 pm

Many Marine places can get 1 3/8" fuel hose by the foot.

m1D
    uncle ron
    uncle ron

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2012-05-31

1st Gen Chevy Fuel Tank Line Sizes Empty fuel tank hose

Post by uncle ron Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:25 pm

O'reilly Auto Parts carries this fuel hose , 1 3/8 ''  Gates 24702 .
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:45 pm

Replaced the hose today.  These only come in 3' lengths.  Purchased at O'Reileys.  

The nice thing is that new ones don't have the metal wire inside and can be cleanly cut. My old one may have been leaking as a result.

I have a little less than 2' left.  It is free to anyone that NEED's it.  First responder here gets it.  All I ask is that you pass along what you don't need to the next guy.

1st Gen Chevy Fuel Tank Line Sizes Van_do10

1st Gen Chevy Fuel Tank Line Sizes Van_do11
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1279
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Post by Space Truckin Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:09 pm

Lazarusvan wrote:Replaced the hose today.  These only come in 3' lengths.  Purchased at O'Reileys.  

The nice thing is that new ones don't have the metal wire inside and can be cleanly cut. My old one may have been leaking as a result.

I have a little less than 2' left.  It is free to anyone that NEED's it.  First responder here gets it.  All I ask is that you pass along what you don't need to the next guy.

Just googled your part number and it comes up as COOLANT HOSE, you might want to CHECK THAT..... study I used the Gates 24702 from O'Reilly's too. And still have about 2ft leftover. JM2C

Last edited by Space Truckin on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:14 pm

Space Truckin wrote:
    Lazarusvan wrote:Replaced the hose today.  These only come in 3' lengths.  Purchased at O'Reileys.  

Just googled your part number and it comes up as COOLANT HOSE, you might want to CHECK THAT..... study I used the Gates 24702 from O'Reilly's too.

It is obvious I paid no attention. That is what he handed me for that size. It is built like a beast! Is there any reason why it wouldn't work just as well?
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1279
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Post by Space Truckin Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:16 pm

Chemical composition.

m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:28 pm

Coolant hoses can be higher quality if they are not the cheep "off shore" made junk. I think the gates coolant hose is better then some fuel hose today.

The quality made coolant hoses are made to handle much higher pressure, they are made to handle very much higher temperatures and they are made to resist the fuel and oil (hydrocarbon) deterioration  they will get both in an engine compartment and in the coolant itself. and they are en made to handle constant moving and flexing.

Gates OE-style, small diameter hoses are built with a premium quality EPDM tube and cover to assure long service life. The material resists electrochemical degradation that causes tube cracking and unexpected hose failure. Temperature range is -40°F to +257°F.
    Ethylene-Propylene –Diene-Monomer, EPDM, materials have long been proven in their excellence for demanding applications; i.e., resistance to aging, weathering, ozone, water, steam and chemicals including acids, alkalis and oxygenated solvents – overall it is the material of choice for various outdoor environments.
    Now, combined with the Ultra-Vanshield coextrusion process, an even higher level of performance for RFI-EMI shielding is available. Construction consists of a versatile EDPM core covered with a conductive Silver/EPDM (AgEP) outer jacket. The combined result – abrasion resistance, silicone outgassing eliminated, even Phosgene gas does not deteriorate performance characteristics.
    Meets military NBC (Nuclear, Biological and Chemical) specifications.

Should also handle a nuclear blast , I think what you have is probably better then what might have been available back in the 60s.

M1D
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:17 pm

M1D, glad to hear it. I know you are an overkill expert, so I trust your opinion.

I have not done too much in regards to car repairs, but I have NEVER seen a friggin' hose that was an impressive as this one. Nothing under the hood of my Japanese or MB vehicles is this well-made.

Whatever came off the van was no where near the beast of this one.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:39 am

I would go ahead and use it.!!!.. it looks like its built the same as the original one and would probley make One Heck of a rad hose..LOL.. when I replaced the tank in my 3Rd Gen I know you shouldn't but I used a small section of radiator hose on the filler tube its a little hard now but its been almost 20 years ago. Smile ....
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:18 pm

20 years?? I think its paid for itself by now!

M1D
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:31 pm

YEA I did it temporary and forgot about it and seen it when I took some pictures of the tank the other night and it shrunk little also ..I will replace it before I take it back out on the road..Car-quest Auto Parts..Has it and you can buy it by the foot... I Fell asleep after work now I am wide awake.. Smile 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 04, 2024 11:57 pm