VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+16
donivan65
dodge man
econopoor
the_surfing_guy
Magic Bus
HandiVanMan
dix
RipVanArkie
Digz
Vannin Ken
G-Man
Vanish
Joe Van
Big W
EconoCarl
vanny
20 posters

Vanny's Diamond in the Ruff!

Vannin Ken
    Vannin Ken

Number of posts : 292
    Registration date : 2012-12-29

Vanny's Diamond in the Ruff! - Page 2 Empty Re: Vanny's Diamond in the Ruff!

Post by Vannin Ken Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:30 pm

Thats a nice van Vanny, at least your up and running. I'll get mine together by next year. Love my Scooby!!
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:49 pm

Hey Ken, mine's not up and running yet. I pushed her into her spot tonight. Hopefully, once I get the tank cleaned lines changed, oil changed radiator flushed and new battery, then maybe it will be running! I'm sure it will need a tune up and probably a carb rebuild as well but that's why I got it. I wanted something I could work on to get away from the stresses of the real world. I had a 66 Econo in the 80's and 90's and this one just brought back a lot of GREAT memories for me.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:57 pm

Stress relief that's a good way to look at it. you can allways close the door and walk away,,,

Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:56 pm

Hey Vanny,

The drag links have a pretty good bend in it from the factory. Sure they bent it?

Duane in Tennessee
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:37 am

I didn't realize it was supposed to have a bend in it. I'll take a pic and post it when I get a chance.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 am

still waiting for more pic's
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:50 pm

Sorry for the delay with pics G-Man! We're trying to get everything around the house in order before we go on vaction in Florida next week.
    Here's a few anyway: Engine
    Vanny's Diamond in the Ruff! - Page 2 100_7112
    Vanny's Diamond in the Ruff! - Page 2 100_7113
    Tranny
    Vanny's Diamond in the Ruff! - Page 2 100_7114
    Drag Link with curve in it (Econopoor - Supposed to be there or not?)

Vanny's Diamond in the Ruff! - Page 2 100_7115
    Transmission Cooler (Just realized I'm going to need a belly pan)
    Vanny's Diamond in the Ruff! - Page 2 100_7116
    Rear End (Wet spot on gas tank are the nuts soaking for removal)
    Vanny's Diamond in the Ruff! - Page 2 100_7117

Vannin Ken
    Vannin Ken

Number of posts : 292
    Registration date : 2012-12-29

Post by Vannin Ken Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:03 pm

Vanny,Runnin an auto? That's the tailshaft and crossmember i'm looking for. Nice score!
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:57 am

Drag Link with curve in it (Econopoor - Supposed to be there or not?       IT looks like its bent pretty good too me Those adjusting sleeves should be parallel with the axle no big deal just install a new one (Center Link) and get a Front End Alignment done I see it all the time with tow truck drivers not knowing where to secure it down with out damaging it I see it alot with front wheel drive cars also in the rear.!!!!
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:25 am

Just seems unusual to see them bent backwards?? Good looking rig Vanny !
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:44 am

@ Joe - Yeah, that's what I figured, the shiny spot where the chain was hooked on in the middle of the curve gave it away.

@ Digz - Thanks, it's a nice solid start for me!

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:07 am

Just know that it will be a great van again soon
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:24 am

Thanks G-Man! This morning our neighbor, who runs a pre-school, said all the kids at the school call it the fire van! I've got the kids' approval! Yaaaay!

dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:20 am

looks good vanny, i love that color blue,
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:38 am

Other than our vanning friends the kids at the local bus stops are my biggest fans they go crazy and start yelling when I drive buy they say Scooby Doobie Doo or Theres Scooby's van..lol! ..
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:30 pm

Whats the first project on it????
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:17 pm

First project is getting the gas tank cleaned out and POR'd and replace all dried and cracked rubber fuel lines and replace filters. I will try to get to it as soon as we return from vacation. My wife is staying a few extra days to visit a friend so I'll have some free time at the end of my work day to get this part done and off the checklist! At least, that's the plan!

the_surfing_guy
    the_surfing_guy

Number of posts : 409
    Registration date : 2012-08-15

Post by the_surfing_guy Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:40 am

I'm having flashbacks!!!!
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:37 pm

Just got back from Disney last night. Wife is still visiting in Florida. Told grandson he could play on the computer today while I did a little work to the van. I got the gas tank out and emptied the gas. Looked clean coming out but the container had little black chips in the bottom. While following the fuel line, I found a few things I have questions about. I'm not a mechanic and need some assistance in identifying the things I found along the way. Thanks in advance for any help!
    Vanny's Diamond in the Ruff! - Page 2 Old_ga12
    Old Gas with gunk in the bottom.
    Vanny's Diamond in the Ruff! - Page 2 Old_ga13
    Counter Balance Weight mounted above the Gas Tank.
    Vanny's Diamond in the Ruff! - Page 2 Counte11
    Sending unit wire. Wire looks good but protective sheath brittle and missing in one spot. Should it be replaced and can I get it at autoparts store or do I have to order it online?
    Vanny's Diamond in the Ruff! - Page 2 Sendin11
    There was a 2-prong wire receptacle at back of Tranny, not sure if it was left over from manual to auto tranny swap?
    Vanny's Diamond in the Ruff! - Page 2 Whodat12
    Other end by the shifter on the tranny.
    Vanny's Diamond in the Ruff! - Page 2 Whodat13
    While cleaning nesting material from the engine, cleaned what appears to be some kind of oil pressure gauge. Has rubber tube that goes to bottom of block on driver's side and one wire goes somewhere underneath. there is a threaded post with no wire but a nut on it. I also saw a red wire coming from the voltage regulator? that wasn't connected to anything. Could this go to that gauge? Why would this gauge be just sitting there?
    Vanny's Diamond in the Ruff! - Page 2 Oilpre12
    Vanny's Diamond in the Ruff! - Page 2 Oilpre13
    Looks like another fuel filter before it comes up to the engine.
    Vanny's Diamond in the Ruff! - Page 2 Gasinl10
    Fuel line to the carb. Is that another filter at the carb and what is the small curved tube at the bottom of the carb? Is it a vacuum tube and if so, shouldn't it be connected to something?
    Vanny's Diamond in the Ruff! - Page 2 Fuelli10

Sorry for all the pics and questions bunched up but I don't get to work on it often so I would like to try to get answers so that I know what I need to replace etc, before I get back under there again. At least I got pics...

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:03 pm

That is a fuel filter on the end of the hose that goes into the carb,,,,,,,to the rear of the #6 spark plug, is the temperature sender,,,,,,,below it is the oil galley port where you hook up the wire or line for the oil pressure light or gauge,,,,,,the trans might have wires or switches for  back up lights or a safety neutral switch.......
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:40 am

Thanks for the info Don! It's much appreciated.

the_surfing_guy
    the_surfing_guy

Number of posts : 409
    Registration date : 2012-08-15

Post by the_surfing_guy Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:05 pm

How's the progress going? Go Sox!
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:32 pm

I got the gas tank out but haven't had a chance to clean it out and seal it yet. Just got back from vacation and very busy at work right now. Pedie just made a hell of a double play and hopefully they can get out of this inning without any more damage.

Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:34 am

Surprising the gas does not look too bad and VERY minor settlement in the tank if there is no rust inside I wonder if it is really necessary to coat and reseal the gas tank you might just be able to clean it out and fill it with fresh gas.!!!! I have seen gas tanks where the gas is black after sitting a couple of years and a inch of rust inside.Smile ...........The ethanol is killing our fuel systems here in Fl does California have it in there gas???? It does not look that bad at all after sitting all that time............
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:37 am

,,,,,,,Yep,,,,,,,,,,,

Vanny's Diamond in the Ruff! - Page 2 Vanaga10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:16 pm