VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

How to remove Gas Gauge Sending Unit

Spank
    Spank

Number of posts : 60
    Registration date : 2010-04-15

How to remove Gas Gauge Sending Unit Empty How to remove Gas Gauge Sending Unit

Post by Spank Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:45 pm

My manual is incredibly vague on how to remove the sending unit. "turn the unit retaining ring counterclockwise and remove the unit, retaining ring, and gasket".

I have to assume the retaining ring is the thing with the tabs facing towards the center of the outer ring. It just does not want to move. Any clues?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

How to remove Gas Gauge Sending Unit Empty Re: How to remove Gas Gauge Sending Unit

Post by donivan65 Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:56 pm

I would say he tabs facing the center are the locks,,,,,,you want to tap the 3 tabs facing up to remove that inner ring,,,,,,

How to remove Gas Gauge Sending Unit Ford_m10
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

How to remove Gas Gauge Sending Unit Empty Re: How to remove Gas Gauge Sending Unit

Post by Old Skool Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Be careful when re installing the square shaped o ring, the new replacement ones are a little on the small size and some times probalamatic in getting to seal... no fun when you finnally fill it up and see a puddle under the back of your truck,,,
    Simply tap the tabs with a screw driver and a hammer like G Man says, you can see the slots where you need to tap it to in order for the sealing ring to come out...
    What gas tank it that in the picture?????????? the one in the pic is showing the sending unit on top of the gas tank and on ours its NOT... OURS is on the front panel side of the gas tank and the only fitting on the top is a vent tube fitting.

BTW,,,,, MAKE SURE you only use vent tubing and not heater hose,,, ALSO,,, it is very hard to locate the correct hose with the SMALLER OD,,, as the usual one will not fit through the openings in the frame for it...
    vic
    SDEconoTruck
    SDEconoTruck

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2010-05-26

Post by SDEconoTruck Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:12 pm

Here's a general idea showing the ring.  It will rotate about 1/4 turn and the pressure will be released and you can lift the sender out.
    How to remove Gas Gauge Sending Unit Fuelse10

I rigged up a t-bar tool that hits the tabs at the same time and I wrench it off rather
    than hammer, but it should be fine either way.

Also, I agree with Vic, the aftermarket o-rings are a poor fit at best, I've actually used the original stock ones if they were in good shape. Some Mustang sites sell good fitting o-rings.

Hope this helps,
    George
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:54 pm

How to remove Gas Gauge Sending Unit Repair45
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:06 pm

So Vic, you saying that this guy aint got a Ford tank in his Ford?

How to remove Gas Gauge Sending Unit Ford_m13

How to remove Gas Gauge Sending Unit Ford_m14
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Nope,,, not nessecarily,,, this tank is taller than ours, and ours has the sending unit in the front panel,,, I am not sure what Ford this is out of??????? but its not a stock early Econoline gas tank... that is a FOR SURE,,,
    VIC
    Spank
    Spank

Number of posts : 60
    Registration date : 2010-04-15

Post by Spank Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:38 pm

Got it.

Unfortunately the small contact point inside the rheostat was worn to the point it broke. No more contact. Tried to solder a new contact on. No luck. New one on order.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:01 pm

I have lost count of how many I tried to save,,and now just give up,, Either its a good one or its not,,, dratzzzz. I hear that the replacements are not as good as the OEM ones,,, but cant vouch for it,,,
    vic
    OldBird
    OldBird

Number of posts : 66
    Registration date : 2011-11-20

Post by OldBird Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:10 pm

if you need an o ring for the sending unit, an o ring for a thermostat housing on the 2002 super duty 7.3 diesel will work perfectly. i tried one out on mine with no problems at all.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:17 pm

Old Skool wrote:Nope,,,  not nessecarily,,,  this tank is taller than ours, and ours has the sending unit in the front panel,,, I am not sure what Ford this is out of???????   but its not a stock early Econoline gas tank... that is a FOR SURE,,,
    VIC

,,,,next you are going to tell me Matt has some other non stock parts in his  66 Falcon Surf Wagon,,,,,,,,,,,but the REAL point is,,,,,could that be another type of tank that works for Econolines????

How to remove Gas Gauge Sending Unit Ford_m15
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:33 pm

Yes,, there are several ones used, from a GENII to a Mustang that Fred 1st figured out. Our tank holds roughly 12 gallons,, and you can bump it up. HOWEVER this is the 1st one that I have seen in ours with the sending unit in the top of the tank,, period!!
    And YES,, if I see a part, I tell it like it is!!! which I think most would appreciate in order to not go through a gazillion posts and conversations in the wrong direction for nothing..... These trucks are over 50 years old and people put in all kinds of other parts,, who knows whats next?????
    SO,, AS I see it,, THE MAIN POINT IS,, (and now for sure) if he now needs a sending unit, it wont be the stock one will it!!!!

vic
    SDEconoTruck
    SDEconoTruck

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2010-05-26

Post by SDEconoTruck Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:11 pm

Hey Spank,

Bad news on the sender, the replacements I've come across were poor
    quality, the number of windings on the rheostat were about half and spaced
    differently than the original. A while back I wrote a thread on diagnosing the
    fuel sender, and I show a little mod to do that really helps maintain the ground
    needed with our Econos...

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t14006-fuel-gauge-sender-diagnostics

Regards,
    George
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:50 pm

Old Skool wrote:Yes,, there are several ones used, from a GENII to a Mustang that Fred 1st figured out. Our tank holds roughly 12 gallons,, and you can bump it up. HOWEVER this is the 1st one that I have seen in ours with the sending unit in the top of the tank,, period!!
    And YES,, if I see a part, I tell it like it is!!!   which I think most would appreciate in order to not go through a gazillion posts and conversations in the wrong direction for nothing..... These trucks are over 50 years old and people put in all kinds of other parts,, who knows whats next?????
     SO,, AS I see it,,  THE MAIN POINT IS,, (and now for sure) if he now needs a sending unit, it wont be the stock one will it!!!!

vic

,,,,,,I wonder how Matt made out with trying to replace that 0 to 90 ohm sending unit in that tank with the correct Ford stock one,,,,,,

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t31862-66-surf-wagons-ford-falcon
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:00 pm

Have no idea?? The stock one in our stock gas tanks, goes in horizontally from the front of the gas tank and not down from the top of the tank like in the picture. That tank in the picture looks to be about 4" as a rough guess taller than our stock gas tank also.
    I have a new Mustang gas tank here and all the parts to convert it and install in an Econoline, its the one that Fred Carrillo posted about and has on his web site. I have not seen a gas tank conversion for ours yet that has a sending unit in the top of the tank ???
    vic
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:29 am

That tank is not off of any of our Chevy Vans,,,,,and in my World, we take the correct resistance unit off the universal hot rod sending units and graft it on to our pick up tubes to make it work,,,,,,but I will have to see what  Matt did to get his gas gauge to read correctly.....

How to remove Gas Gauge Sending Unit 30_ohm10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:52 pm