VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
66 Surf Wagon
donivan65
6 posters

66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon Empty 66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:20 pm

Went over and met Matt and his Ford today,,,electricity was in the air,,,,it needed to go back in the wires,,,,so I see a floor shifter,,,,we pulled the tank and found a 0 to 90 ohm sending unit it.....

66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon Ford_m12

66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon Ford_m13

66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon Ford_m14

66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon Ford_m15

66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon Ford_m16

66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon Ford_m17

Last edited by donivan65 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
    66 Surf Wagon
    66 Surf Wagon

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2012-09-24

66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon Empty Re: 66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon

Post by 66 Surf Wagon Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:18 pm

Don, it was great meeting you today. Hopefully Sarah and I will get the chance to meet some other awesome vanners like you in the San Diego area. Thanks for the help with another "to do" on the never ending "to do" list. I guess I'll have to spend the time to type up a proper introduction since you started a thread for me Smile
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:51 pm

So what about those 2 rear seats that fold down into beds,,,,what are they from?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:59 pm

There are a few people here that like to be out there in the water,,,,,and you might run into Doc and Violet,,,,,they spend a lot of time out there surfing.....

66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon Chevy_14
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:21 pm

66 Surf Wagon
    66 Surf Wagon

Post by 66 Surf Wagon Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:35 pm

Don, the seats are from an 1985-1986 Ford Aerostar. Not all the rear seats from the Aerostar fold flat into the bed. Most of them only tumble/fold forward. Obviously if you get them from a pick and pull like we did then you can make sure for yourself.

I have read through that thread a few times. It appears that C&G parts sells the fuel sender though I may check that van in the junkyard I spoke of first.
    66 Surf Wagon
    66 Surf Wagon

Post by 66 Surf Wagon Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:24 am

So our journey began this past summer when we were surfing at Cardiff Reef. A gentleman pulled into the parking lot with a freshly painted white 1965 Ford Econoline and parked next to my friends and I. Our entire group thought the van was pretty cool. My wife, Sarah, and I had been previously debating getting some sort of surf vehicle and junk hauler (lots of trips to Home Depot to support our other hobbies). We had tossed around getting a small pickup, a VW bus, etc. So while browsing Craigslist for good deals and junk I can't live without, I came across our van listed for sale.

A nice Mexican gentleman from Chula Vista was selling his van to raise money for his son whom was expecting a baby in the near future. It is a 1966 Ford Falcon Club Wagon HD. The van had been in his family since it was new. The grandfather had passed it down to his son, the Dad, and the Dad was going to pass the van down to his son but the son was not very interested. Therefore the Dad was begrudgingly parting ways with it. Apparently the grandfather use to take the van on long vacations into Mexico. My wife and I meet the father and son in Chula Vista and when we saw the van we knew if it was in halfway decent shape we were going to purchase it.

We checked the van out and it was indeed in decent shape. There is some rust and a little body damage but overall it was in good enough shape for what Sarah and I were looking for. We took it for a test drive and it was a hoot driving a cab in front of the axle vehicle again (the last vehicle I drove like that was a fire truck when I was a volunteer firefighter). The father was impressed that I had the "touch" with the van and was able to drive it so well. We finished the test drive and a couple days later we meet up again to seal the deal. Here is me and the Dad passing the torch:

66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon Img_1011

Below are some on the pictures from the test drive day.

66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon Img_1012
    66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon Surf_w10
    66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon Surf_w11
    66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon Surf_w12
    66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon Surf_w13

Since Sarah and I have taken the van home we have removed the curtains, windshield visor and the old tint. We also repainted the bumpers and replaced the windshield. Recently we purchased folding rear seats to replace the GM bench seats the previous owner had installed. We have a lot of plans to do a mild restoration to the van including some bodywork, a new paint job, new upholstery and "wood" floors. We also are going to be swapping in a Ford 250 ci inline six with a T-5 five speed manual transmission behind it. We want the van to be a nice driver that we can take on surf and camping trips and enjoy the adventure that is our lives.

We look forward to meeting up with fellow vanners, hanging out, turning wrenches and having fun. We are very excited to make this van our own special "SWAGON" (Surf Wagon).

Matt & Sarah
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:52 am

love it! Cool story! Keep adding pics and updates as you go, it keeps the threads fun to read now and in the future! Smile Cool van man!
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1279
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

Post by Space Truckin Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:59 am

Welcome, and enjoy the ride cheers
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:16 am

There are a few people here that like to be out there surfing,,,,, Ted the SandyVan,,,,Scott the Surfer Guy,,, Scott the ScottyJones,,,,,,Scott the No Bad Days,,,,and someone you would have a lot in common with,,,,George the SDEcono guy,,,,,,I don't know about Summit stuff,,,,a lot of the Hot Rod stuff is bolt on,,,you cut a hole and screw a new universal fuel sender in it,,,,so watch out for that,,,,and that sender you have that does not work right,,,0 to 90 ohms,,,,that sure looks like a 2nd Gen, 1967-70 Chevy/GMC van one,,,,and it is valuable,,,don't throw it away,,,,the Chevy gauge wants 0 ohms for empty, while a Ford wants 73 ohms for empty, so I guess the only time it would of been accurate would be at 1/2 a tank,,,,,,,
    66 Surf Wagon
    66 Surf Wagon

Post by 66 Surf Wagon Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Going to be picking up a new fuel sender later this week, in the meantime working on cleaning up the dash area including restoring the original gauges. Cleaned off the dirt from the gauges using some Q-tips and then repainting the needles with Testors model paint.

Here is the temp gauge complete next to the fuel gauge which is yet to be painted:
    66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon Img_1110

Here is the speedo with the tail of the needle painted:
    66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon Img_1111

Still have to finish up but should look good back in the van. Also need to fix the gauge panel's glass that was broken.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:40 pm

Matt, how about some pictures of those Aerostar fold down seats you have in the back of your van,,,,like how do they mount up,,,,,,lots of people here need seats for the rear of their vans.....
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:14 pm

Welcome to VV Matt. Nice looking van. Keep the pics coming as you go along.
    66 Surf Wagon
    66 Surf Wagon

Post by 66 Surf Wagon Sat May 18, 2013 6:31 pm

Got new wheels and tires for the Swagon today. Wasn't planning on getting new shoes for her yet but the front tire had some steel braiding starting to show and thought it would be safer with new stuff. The old front left is the spare with the weird blue powdercoating. The new shoes are 15x7 Cragar S/Ss with 235/60/15 BF Goodrich Radial TAs on the front AND 15x8 Cragar S/Ss with 255/60/15 Radial TAs on back.

Before:

66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon Img_1711

After:
    66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon Img_1712
    66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon Img_1713

Fit great. Only a little rub on the front at the steering stops.

Matt
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon Empty 66 Surf Wagons Ford Falcon

Post by Joe Van Sun May 19, 2013 5:32 pm

Tires and Rims look great. looks like you have a nice solid project there keep up the good work... cheers ..JOE VAN..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:23 pm