VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
Vannin Ken
Old Skool
Randall711
RipVanArkie
econopoor
9 posters

Yet another wheel and tire question...

Yet another wheel and tire question... Empty Yet another wheel and tire question...

Post by Guest Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:39 pm

Hey gang.  So, I've been searching the forum and all over the internet and still can't seem to nail down the info I'm looking for.  It all seems a bit vague -or- unintelligible.

I'm going to be putting a set of 14x6 Torq Thrusts on my '66 Econoline and I've read that a decent tire size to use on this beast is 205/70R14.  No problem.

My problem is this...

The gray area seems to be back spacing.  TireRack has no listing for the Econoline.  As a matter of fact, there seems to be a generalized lack of Econoline info on the web. Now, I read here somewhere that the 5 lug Mustang wheels will work.  If I look them up on TireRack (just using the site as a reference) for a '66 Mustang 5 lug, I get the following:

Front and Rear

Size: 14x6
    Offset: -2mm
    Backspacing: 3.39"
    Bolt Pattern: 5-4.5
    Rec. Tire Size: 205/75-14
    Weight: 14.5lbs.
    Finish: Anthracite w/Mach Lip
    Construction: 1pc. Gravity Cast

Can anyone verify the backspacing and whether or not this configuration will work on the Econoline without rubbing?

Thanks!!!
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Yet another wheel and tire question... Empty Re: Yet another wheel and tire question...

Post by econopoor Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:35 am

Hello,

That's the same combo I'm running on my 61 pickup. It works great but it will rub the draglink at full lock. Not bad. Just a little rub. You don't have much of an opition as the 14" TQ's only come in one size. Could run a spacer but to me that would be worse than dealing with the rub.

Duane in Tennessee
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Yet another wheel and tire question... Empty Re: Yet another wheel and tire question...

Post by RipVanArkie Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:09 am

Duane, do the Econolines have an adjustable bump-stop like the Chebby vans?

2013 MidSouth Econoline Meet
    Host of the MidSouth Econoline Meet, Petit Jean State Park, AR
    1967 Econoline Pickup
    1966 Econoline Supervan
    1967 Econoline 8-door regular van
    1965 ChevyVan, Cargo, 250/3speed

1964 Econoline 8-door Window Van, 4spd
    1966 Falcon SuperVan, Automatic
    Randall711
    Randall711

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2013-07-29

Post by Randall711 Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:04 am

I have 14x10's on the rear of my 67 and the only issue I have is hitting the wheel opening but I think I can solve that with air shocks

Post by Guest Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:04 am

Guys, thanks so much. I wouldn't mind having a little wider rim on the back but doubt that I'd go much larger than an 8" but I'm not opposed to running the same rim and rubber all the way around.

The PO put real fat and tall tires on the back that rub the point at the bottom front of the wheel arch when the springs flex yet put these dinky little short, narrow pizza cutters on the front and it just looks plain stupid. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to have tools. Laughing 

Again, thanks! This helps me out a bunch! You guys ROCK!
    Randall711
    Randall711

Post by Randall711 Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:38 pm

Well let me tell you this.. If you go wider go up to a 15" wheel. Only due to lack of tire choice and availability. 14x10" tires are big money and very hard to find. I'm hunting now to be honest!!
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:16 pm

Thanks RIP, Just had to make me walk out back and check didn't you. Very Happy Yes, The Econoline axle does indeed have adjustable limits. So if I was inclined I could crawl on the ground and adjust the rub out of my steering? It's easier to just not turn full lock. Yea, I'm lazy. LOL. BTW, The Dodge is also adjustable.

Duane in Tennessee
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:34 pm

I cant think of a straight front axle that does not have adjustable TURN STOPS,, lol,,,, and dont know of ANY with an adjustable BUMP stop,,,,  LOL......  
     In regards to the rears hitting the wheel wells,,, personally, will be using 15" and want nothing to do with the issues yet to get worse with 14" tires. In the rears will using Old Skool  (lol)  Crager SS by 15" x 8"   and will be filling the well from side to side,, only issue is simply having the rear outer lips rolled by a proffesional with the machine so it comes out clean. There was a person on Craigs list advertising a rolling service coming to your house @ about $60 a well.  Not worth me hassling any of it for that price. Here is a picture of a freinds truck Sam Termine, with the tire combo I will be copying.
    On the front of my driver (junk yard prowler),,,,  I am running 6 leafs up front and big tires, so I moved the front axle rear ward 1" in order to miss the usual rub spot of the lower front corners like most hit....
    vic

Yet another wheel and tire question... 100_0915
    Randall711
    Randall711

Post by Randall711 Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:20 pm

Man I wish I lived out by you Vic. I'd be your shadow, any question that anyone could ask should just be directed to you. Insane amount of knowledge my friend!!
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:36 pm

Thnx,,, could use some real help here,,,,  didnt realize the pic wouldnt show the back tires,, will try to resize it,,,
    vic

Yet another wheel and tire question... 100_0916

Yet another wheel and tire question... Tcc10

Post by Guest Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:05 pm

Old Skool wrote:
    Yet another wheel and tire question... 100_0915
    WOW. That is one stunning Econoline! Cool  
    Vannin Ken
    Vannin Ken

Number of posts : 292
    Registration date : 2012-12-29

Post by Vannin Ken Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:45 pm

That's exactly the way i would like to do mine.Beautiful.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:09 pm

When I saw how well the back tires filled the whole wheel well, that made up my mind,, and as I had my 1st van about 45 years ago,, LOL.... the Cragers were in then and still in now,,, LOL>.
    I have my new rims here sitting and ready for that day,,
    vic
    chainsaw
    chainsaw

Number of posts : 226
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by chainsaw Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:23 pm

Old Skool wrote:Thnx,,, could use some real help here,,,,  didnt realize the pic wouldnt show the back tires,, will try to resize it,,,
    vic

Yet another wheel and tire question... 100_0916

Yet another wheel and tire question... Tcc10
    What back space are you running on the rear 8'' cragars ?
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:07 am

Vic, those are 8" in the back??? Look like 10 or 11"! What rubber is on them? What are you running up front, 7"?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:52 am

Yet another wheel and tire question... 70s_vi10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:56 am

Yet another wheel and tire question... Econow10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:00 pm

Yet another wheel and tire question... Econow11

Yet another wheel and tire question... Econow12
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:15 pm

Wow!!! That is one of the cleanest, shiniest, prettiest Econos I've ever seen!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:43 am