VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Brake Light on Pass Side not Working

Brake Light on Pass Side not Working Empty Brake Light on Pass Side not Working

Post by Guest Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:42 am

1st Time Post Hi
    67 Chevy Van

Tail Lights work (both sides)
    Turn Signals work (both sides)
    Bulbs are good (both sides)

Pass side break light doesn't work
    Pass side rear is the only hazard light that does not work

Bought a Harbor Freight Multimeter to test for shorts, but I am not even sure I am using it right.

Frustrated

Thanks
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Brake Light on Pass Side not Working Empty Re: Brake Light on Pass Side not Working

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:45 pm

#1= these take a # 1157 bulb- check-making sure!!!!!!!!!!!affraid  the bulb is -IS!! installed correctly!1 as there are 2 offset prongs that locate the bulb in the socket!! They can be forced into the socket incorrectly!! also look inside the socket for contacts that are still spring loaded & not sticking as to not allow curreb=nt to 1 side of bulb!

Brake Light on Pass Side not Working Empty Re: Brake Light on Pass Side not Working

Post by Guest Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:51 pm

i can double check, but would the running light and turn signal work if only one of the contacts touched?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:16 pm

The turn signal switch DECIDES what turn, hazard and brake lights come on,,,,,,so the Right Rear is usually a green wire,,,,,put the right turn signal on,,,,,,find the green wire coming down from the turn signal switch,,,,,,measure it,,,,it should be blinking since the the turn signal switch is sending a signal to the rear bulb,,,,,then once you find it,,,,,,turn the signals off,,,,step on the brake,,,,if there is no signal,,,,the turn signal switch is bad,,,,,,

Post by Guest Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:58 pm

just trying to understand your help...
    you say "measure it" , "then, "once you find it"
    i am not following
    thanks Gonernor...
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Donivan is correct! wiring code is = left stop=yellow right stop=green brown is tail lights hot feed =both sides.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Ok,,,,,,,what I mean is you say got rear turn signals but not brake lights,,,,,but those are the same bulb and wiring,,,,,,if that is so,,,,,then everything is good up to the turn signal switch,,,,,,,so since that is a green wire that comes out of the turn signal switch check and see if the turn signal switch is doing its job,,,,,which is send power or voltage out that green wire to that right rear bulb,,,,,,with a voltmeter or test light,,,,,,that green wire should blink when you turn on the right turn signal,,,,,it should just be on solid if you step on the brakes,,,,,,I am just saying run the test,,,,then we can dial in what the problem is without posting 100 guesses,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:38 pm

,,,,,,,I guess the simple answer would be,,,,,the rear turn signal and brake lights get their  orders from the turn signal switch,,,,,,if ONLY one of the brake or one of the turn signals in the rear dont work,   THEN,,, the turn signal switch is not working right....
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:27 pm

Donnivan speaks great truth!

If you get hazard OR turn OR brake (without any other strange behavior), it proves the bulb and circuit.
    It's gotta be the turn signal switch on the column.

Post by Guest Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:30 pm

ok i have got the steering wheel off, to access the switch.
    please tell me where to put the probes from my meter.
    one on the green wire (right rear light)?
    and the other on...? the white wire from the stoplight switch?
    using a multimeter, no light.
    do i use the volt setting, or the ohm setting?
    do i turn the ignition key on for power?
    thanks
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:21 pm

You would probably need that steering wheel off anyways,,,,,,but,,,,,,,you should be down by the brake pedal,,,,,find the plastic connectors  where the wires from the turn signal switch go under the dash,,,,,,find the green wire,,,,,,that wire goes directly to the right rear brake/turn bulb,,,,,,it should have voltage on it when you turn on the 4 ways, hit the brake or make a right turn,,,,,,the voltmeter has to be on VOLTS,,,,,,the black probe hooked to metal for ground,,,,the red one checks for voltage,,,,turn signals need the key on,,,,,,4 ways and brake lights don't,,,,,,but you are kind of wasting your time,,,,,if one brake light wont come on while the other side does,,,,,AND,,,,,,both turn signals in back work,,,,,,the turn signal switch is bad,,,,,,

Brake Light on Pass Side not Working Repair36
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Brake Light on Pass Side not Working 2nd_ge11

Post by Guest Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:08 pm

i turned on 4 ways
    red probe of meter to green wire
    black probe to ground
    got a reading of 0

tested the yellow wire and got the same result

tryied again with key and turn signal on
    the meter never settled on a reading

Post by Guest Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:10 pm

i appreciate your knowledge that the turn signal switch is the problem, but i would also like to understand the testing and proving procedure.
    thanks
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:32 pm

#1= always test the meter or test light! verify its good & operational. #2= the test light must have a GOOG!!+Proven =Ground!! Hook black clip to a ground & verify with probe to a KNOWN 12 v source its working fine? #3= turn key "ON"! then turnsignal switch to left & check wires - then to right-check wires-should have test light blinking when turnsignal blinks? -Try new =Flasher also?? Get a ="Heavy duty Flasher " = possible its a bad flasher unit also in fuse block?? Replace! & retest all.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:39 pm

You probably got that long black connector with 8 wires in it,,,,,one is horn, one is from hazard flasher, one is from turn signal flasher, one is from brake light switch and then there are the 4 to each turn signal bulb,,,,,so all those wires should have voltage on them except the horn,,,,,,put the 4 way flashers on,,,,,,5 wires should have voltage on them,,,,blinking along with the flasher,,,,so you have a problem with that meter,,,,,,I use a test light,,,,,(4 going out to each bulb and the flasher sending power to them) but if you want to learn about troubleshooting,,,,,you come to the right place,,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:32 pm

ok here is the update...

i took the turn signal switch off and took readings on all the wires.
    everything seems to check out ( i can provide the specifics if it helps)

the brake lights only work, if the left turn signal is on (with or without the key on)

the 4 ways don't work in the back, unless either the left or right turn signal is on.

my next step is to check the back end for some wrong wiring.

if you see something i don't, please let me know

THANKS
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:42 pm

,,,,Lets start at the beginning,,,,,,,Do you have a button on that turn signal switch that you can turn on the 4 way flashers, which is the 2 front and   2 rear turn signals and the 2 arrows on the dash,,,,the key should be off,,,,,the turn signal lever needs to be off,,,,,,do all 6 bulbs flash?  Here is how you should be testing the wiring FROM the turn signal switch,,,,,,,,,,the wiring has to be hooked up,,,,,,see if you can find the white wire and if it gets power on it when you step on the brake pedal......

Brake Light on Pass Side not Working Repair38

Post by Guest Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:58 am

Ok governor, as per your instructions...

4 way switch on, no key:
    Front two signals flash
    Dashboard signals flash
    Rear signals DO NOT flash

Press on brake ( only):
    Voltage is 12.3
    Rear brake lights DO NOT light
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:33 am

Now we are on the same page,,,,,,,,we know that power from the hazard flasher is getting up to the turn signal switch and going out to the dash arrows and front front turns signals and those wires are blue,,,,,,,now  we need to find out why the yellow and green wires, which are the rear turn signals and brake lights are not working,,,,,,,test those wires for voltage in that connector coming down from the turn signal switch,,,,,you are looking to see that the blue wires and the green and the yellow wires are all getting power on them,,,,,(they are sending out power to all 4 outside bulbs and the dash arrows)  ,,,,,,also look on the other side of the connector,,,,,see that if a yellow wire is going into the connector,,,,,it also comes out yellow in case someone mixed up the wires in the connector,,,,,,,hardest part of replacing the turn signal switch is removing all the wires from the connector so you can slip all those wires through the shift collar and put them, hopefully, back into the connector where they belong,,,,,,,,sometimes,,,,if you don't use that 4 way switch, the contacts get corroded and the switch stops working if you try and use it,,,,,,so try pushing and pulling that switch button LOTS of times and see if things start working again,,,,,,  

Post by Guest Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:53 pm

yes i did all that getting the individual wires out of the plastic horseshoe yesterday. i also cleaned the contacts. i showed continuity for each wire

white to green with left turn signal on
    white to yellow with right turn signal on
    purple to light blue with left turn signal on
    purple to blue with right turn signal on
    white to brown with 4 way flasher on

anyway, back to today...
    i am not getting a reading on either the yellow or green wire
    i did notice that my meter has lights that flash in sync with the flasher on the blue, light blue, and brown wires.
    i also pushed the hazard switch many times, but no change
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:11 pm

What do you mean by white to green and all those other colors?   Are you talking continuity, voltage or a test light,,,,those are different types of tests,,,,,White is voltage coming IN to the turn signal switch when you step on the brake pedal,,,,,then,,,,if the turn signal switch is working right,,,,,it sends that voltage it just got from the white wire back down to the green and the yellow wires,,,,,,,(test this with everything plugged in, the turn signals and the 4 ways off) if you are using a voltmeter, set for volts , the black probe is on metal for ground,,,the red is touching the white, then the green, then the yellow while you step on the brakes,,,,,what do you get?  

Post by Guest Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:53 am

Ok gov, all those colors I gave you were for continuity
    Now back to your plan...

While pressing on the brake...
    White, voltage in 12V
    Green, voltage out 0V
    Yellow, voltage out 0V
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:09 am

The turn signal switches job is to send the voltage that it gets from the white wire that comes from the brake light switch to the green and the yellow wire which are hooked to the rear brake lights,,,,,so it aint doing its job,,,,,,,its other job is to send the voltage from the purple wire, which is the turn signal flasher, to those wires when you move the turn signal lever,,,,,,,another one of its jobs is to send the voltage from the brown wire, which is the 4 way flasher, to those wires when you turn on the 4 way flasher switch,,,,,,but most amazing,,,,,it disconnects a brake light automatically and switches on a turn signal when you are slowing down and making a turn,,,,,,,so you can test those other 2 circuits, just like you did for that white brake switch wire and see if the switch does what it should be doing,,,,,,there are 3 circuits in that turn signal switch,,,,,the wire colors might be a little different,,,,,,looks like at least one of those circuits is bad,,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:10 pm

you know i appreciate ALL your help.
    i went ahead and ordered a new switch.

THANKS

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:44 pm