VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

The cooling battle

Jessetygr
    Jessetygr

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2012-01-06

The cooling battle Empty The cooling battle

Post by Jessetygr Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:18 pm

I got a little side tracked this weekend with my fuel tank swap plan and ended up diving into the van's cooling issue..
    Like many of the post I've read, my van ofcourse has overheating issues.. I've upgraded to a new rad, changed filters, changed my stat, and Fred C. even helped further by installing a push fan on the front of my rad.. Even after these upgrades, the van was still running hot.
    I'm sure there are some heat issues resulting from the stronger  ignition system I installed but I'm still learning as I go.. What was pretty clear was the fact my engine fan itself was next to useless.. It was a small, four blade fan (without a shroud) and hardly pulling any air thru the rad. I decided it was time to pull the fan and replace it with a larger electronic pulling fan! In order to fit the new fan in place, I had to slide the rad pretty far forward towards the front of the dog house so it would clear the bell mount of the old engine fan. I decided to keep the front pusher fan (which operates on a switch) on the rad as its a good cooling option in traffic but it further reduced the space for air to get up into the dog house.
    At lower speeds (& RPM's) the van runs cool but anything over 65mph will would cause the engine to heat. I have a belly pan on the van but there still seemed to be an issue of air flow the rad.. I came up with a pretty cheap solution to add a "wing" to the belly pan to angle the air flow directly up into the space between the dog house front wall & the rad.. I basically picked all the materials up at the local Home Depot for about 30 and  spent about an two hours building, painting and installing it last night. I  took my van out for a 150 mile highway trip this morning and it worked really awesome.. The wing curves so much air flow right up into the front of the rad where the fans can then do their thing..The temp gauge hardly changed..
    Not the best pics but gives the general idea!

Placement..
    The cooling battle Image-M

Painted & ready for the install.
    neondv8
    neondv8

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2012-04-04

The cooling battle Empty Re: The cooling battle

Post by neondv8 Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:18 pm

That looks grate!
    Iv have bin playing around with the same concept.
    Nice work.
    donald

Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2010-06-14

Post by donald Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:19 am

i did the same to my van and it works great.i do not have a belly fan and it still works i have a stock fan.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:34 pm

Bad ass Jesse, do you have a pic with it installed. I'd love to see it.
    Jessetygr
    Jessetygr

Post by Jessetygr Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:46 pm

Rayallen wrote:Bad ass Jesse, do you have a pic with it installed. I'd love to see it.
    Hey Ray,
    I don't have any on hand but I'll try and blast a few off tmr and post them. It's really crazy how mush of a difference it makes in van as far as keeping the temp cooler!
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:53 am

Hey Jesse
    How's the surfin?
    I',m working on a scoop for this same cooling purpose.
    Since I don't have a bottom pan, the scoop will be bolted to the frame.

I'll post pics soon.

Jim in NJ aka Casimier
    Jessetygr
    Jessetygr

Post by Jessetygr Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:33 am

Hey Jim,
    I hope all is well man!
    The surf has been tricky this summer to say the least.
    It's been pretty flat north of the cape for most of the summer but I actually loaded up the van and cruised down to New Hampshire this past weekend to catch some of the waves from Gabrielle.. Super fun but I think every surfer in the north east was in the water..
    A few cool pics..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:40 am