VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

I need a good mechanic for my master cylinder

gills8door
    gills8door

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2013-06-26

I need a good mechanic for my master cylinder Empty I need a good mechanic for my master cylinder

Post by gills8door Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:27 am

Hey everyone!  I just trailered my Mercury back from Ohio after breaking down on the way to the Natz 2 weeks ago.  Had to pull into a truck dealership due to no brakes.  Soon after a tornado touched down forcing me to leave the van behind due to no electricity.  Come to find out the master cylinder went bad and from there I learned that my recently passed Husband Gills had modified it from a '63 to a '67.  Took many phone calls to Vanners to find one, which I did finally.  The mechanics at the dealership could not fix my van upon many attempts so I went and brought it back home.  I need someone whom KNOWS what they are doing when it comes to these vintage vehicles, I am not taking it to just any shop over here.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Deb: debvans63@hotmail.com
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

I need a good mechanic for my master cylinder Empty Re: I need a good mechanic for my master cylinder

Post by Barnabas Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:49 pm

The 1967 is a great master cylinder, but the cylinder gets scored over time and needs to be sleeved.  

Two shops that Econo owners have used successfully are:

http://www.whitepost.com/brake.html

Vic, known here as Old Skool.  Send him a personal message. https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/u493
    Barnabas
    Barnabas

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

I need a good mechanic for my master cylinder Empty Re: I need a good mechanic for my master cylinder

Post by Barnabas Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:19 pm

Be sure to replace your brake fluid every year to get the water out. These old brake systems are open to the humid air. Vic has a remote reservoir system that will give you a sealed system like modern brakes, which will keep your brake fluid fresh for many years.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:13 pm

Deb has a brand new rebuilt 67 resleeved master from Vic,aka Old Skool but the shop couldn't get it to bleed. Vic bench bled it before he shipped it to them. They are notorious for being difficult to bleed but I have never had one I couldn't get done in an hour or so. Several people have had issues with the 67 in the past so it's a common issue, not sure what they are doing wrong but for whatever reason it proves to be difficult.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:00 am