VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Carl
donivan65
Casimier
61econoline
8 posters

67 Master cylinder

61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

67 Master cylinder Empty 67 Master cylinder

Post by 61econoline Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:27 pm

Just purchased a complete pedal/master cylinder from a 67.Will be going in my 61 could use some pics or diagram of brake line routing on the original 67 thanks mick

Last edited by 61econoline on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add info)
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

67 Master cylinder Empty Re: 67 Master cylinder

Post by Casimier Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:04 am

I have a 67 MC that I would like to put on my '66.
    Here's a pic with questions posted on the pic.
    1) To what wheel cylinders do the four brake lines go that are coming out of the proportioning valve?
    2) Where does the 5th brake line go? The one that is coming out of the back of the brake cylinder?
    3) Can the two brake light wires from my 66 just attach to the 67 brake switch?
    [img]67 Master cylinder 67mastercylinder[/img]

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:27 am

Casimier wrote:I have a 67 MC that I would like to put on my '66.
    Here's a pic with questions posted on the pic.
    1) To what wheel cylinders do the four brake lines go that are coming out of the proportioning valve?
    2) Where does the 5th brake line go? The one that is coming out of the back of the brake cylinder?
    3) Can the two brake light wires from my 66 just attach to the 67 brake switch?
    [img]67 Master cylinder 67mastercylinder[/img]
    ok looking at the p valve photo top right to rear of master top left to rear brake tee, bottom right r front, bottom left left front.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:52 pm

Unless that master cylinder came off a disk brake system, that is a pressure differential valve to monitor the pressure of the 2 brake lines and a piston inside grounds the wire to put the brake line warning light on that is on the dash,,,,,if one lines pressure drops,,,,,
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:35 pm

So, Rudy
    coming off the proportioning valve...
    the bottom lines go to the front brakes.
    The top left goes all the way by itself to the rear brakes
    splitting at the rear axle to service both rear whell cylinders.
    The top right loops around and connects to the line coming out of the rear of the master cylinder.
    Do I have that right?

Donivan, you have a good point about the warning light. I'll have to check the 67 van down in the junkyard for the dashlight.

Rudy, do you have a warning brake light on your 67?

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:14 pm

Casimier wrote:So, Rudy
    coming off the proportioning valve...
    the bottom lines go to the front brakes.
    The top left goes all the way by itself to the rear brakes
    splitting at the rear axle to service both rear whell cylinders.
    The top right loops around and connects to the line coming out of the rear of the master cylinder.
    Do I have that right?

Donivan, you have a good point about the warning light. I'll have to check the 67 van down in the junkyard for the dashlight.

Rudy, do you have a warning brake light on your 67?
    that's correct on the lines i will get back on the warning light but there is a electrical wire pluged in the mc and running toward the dash.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:27 pm

That's just a junction block to put the light on if there is a problem,,,,,I doubt if it still works after all these years,,,,,,the basic plan is one line goes back to the rear brakes,,,,,the other goes to a T that goes to the fronts,,,,,both lines have equal pressure,,,,,,it don't matter which goes where,,,,,both work the same,,,,,,so you don't really need it,,,,,they could be a little bit of a problem trying to find the correct thread sizes for all those lines, so we just run 1 line to the rears, 1 line to the fronts on our Chevys,,,,,,
    Carl

Number of posts : 143
    Registration date : 2011-01-25

67 Master cylinder Empty 67 master cylinder

Post by Carl Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

My brake warning light came on a few months ago, after all these years, -I bought the van 1970, and I found a leak in one of the brake cylinders... so the worning light may work!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:21 pm

That was the new law in 1967,,,,,,2 line master cylinder and a warning light,,,,,it is just a little more work to install the light circuit,,,,,it sure makes you safer,,,,but having 2 lines instead of only one is REALLY the most important modification you can make on an old van,,,,,,,
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:14 pm

Here's my 66 single.67 Master cylinder Fruit_10.. I put back on everything that came off the old master. I forgot to hook up those 2 red wires and noticed I had no brake lights. Those 2 wires still need to be hooked up to that 67 master. I looked for other switches and wires and found nothing. The 66 must have a pressure switch which opens a circuit to allow power through to light up the brake lights. Or do I have that wrong... Please correct me if I am wrong here, becus I have no other wires anywhere near the brake system?? Does the 67 master have that same switch? And can those 2 wires just hook up to the 67 master?
    Emily_67
    Emily_67

Number of posts : 19
    Registration date : 2012-07-09

Post by Emily_67 Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:02 pm

I just started in on my brakes today. Holey moley!!! I'm having a heck of a time it seems like. I have a 1967, today when I took the master cylinder cover off the front 'compartment' is bone dry!! It's looks pretty nasty. Is there anywhere to find one?
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:58 pm

No there isnt. They dont exist anywhere so resleeve the one you already have. Thats the quickest easiest solution for you.
    Murdock
    Murdock

Number of posts : 313
    Registration date : 2010-12-29

Post by Murdock Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:43 pm

Send it to Vic. I just did my dual master, let me know what pictures you still need. The brake lamp switch for the dual is different, it mounts where the pedal pin mounts to the push rod.

Your other option is something like this, but I side with Tim:

http://www.themodernform.com/econoline/econoline_master.html
    Emily_67
    Emily_67

Number of posts : 19
    Registration date : 2012-07-09

Post by Emily_67 Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:15 pm

I started to take my MC off today. I managed to get the pedal taken off those bolts were pretty easy to tackle. Where do I go from there? How else is this thing stuck on? I feel like removing it is my last option & get something figured out. All my lines are clean and flowing good, today I put on the new rubber hoses for the wheel cylinders. I can get fluid from the bleeders and the wheel cylinders are full. My problem I feel is not having any real "pressure" just kind of dribbles out of bleeders and my pedal still seems to be just as mushy? Figured better rip the MC off and get it pumping good! And help or ideas for me would sure be a huge help. Thanks guys
    Murdock
    Murdock

Number of posts : 313
    Registration date : 2010-12-29

Post by Murdock Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:29 am

You have a couple of options. You can try a rebuild kit on your own, they are pretty easy to put in. It is Raybestos MK512. It comes with instructions and residual valve retraction screws. Your best bet is to read the Econo Shop manual (Part 2-2) to do it right, be sure to BENCH BLEED YOUR MASTER. Also take a hone to the inside, VERY LIGHTLY, to get any oxidation out.

Before purchasing the kit I would get it apart and inspect the bore. If it looks real pitted it is time for a re-sleeve like Tim said. Get ahold of Vic for this, once its done you will have pressure you never knew you could have. You can even try the rebuild kit and if it doesn't work save it for after the re-sleeve.

Also, use new, clean brake fluid when bleeding. Don't lose those mounting bolts they are not very available, the tapered ends help you line it up to the frame holes when mounting. Standard machine bolts will be a P.I.T.A. Replace the pedal bushings, I posted a link here:

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t31933-brake-pedal-arm-bushing

Here are some images from the shop manual to help you out:

Dual Master Cyl mounting:
    67 Master cylinder 67_dua11

Differential Valve:
    67 Master cylinder 67_dua12

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:49 pm