VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Old Skool
pilotmtnraider
6 posters

Radiator fit

pilotmtnraider
    pilotmtnraider

Number of posts : 65
    Registration date : 2008-05-30

Radiator fit Empty Radiator fit

Post by pilotmtnraider Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:18 pm

What's a good radiator fit for my 65 van? It has the 240 6 cylinder in it. Thanks in advance.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Radiator fit Empty Re: Radiator fit

Post by Old Skool Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:29 am

Best fit is the 240 radiator for it, better yet is to bump it up to a 4row unit. Usually about $325 or so.
    Vic
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:54 pm

If you have the original rad for it, take it to your local radiator shop and have them put the top and bottom tanks on a new core. They will also put the side mounting brackets on it as well and you will have a perfect fitting radiator. Mine has a new 3 core and it fits great and works great as well. This is something that you want to have new if you want the engine to run cool. Using the old rad can lead to major cooling issues if it's still plugged up after having it flushed. Some have had success with flushing the old rads and some are still having problems. The cost for mine was around $300.00 dollars and it was well worth it.
    pilotmtnraider
    pilotmtnraider

Number of posts : 65
    Registration date : 2008-05-30

Post by pilotmtnraider Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:31 am

Thanks guys. Looks like I may just purchase a new one. As the old one has numerous leaks and not too sure of its condition anyway. Thanks again.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:39 am

You don't have to buy a new one, simply have your old one recored. (means putting in a new core into your old tanks and mounts,,,
    vic

Post by Guest Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:38 am

Any luck with a new radiator?

I took mine to the radiator shop and they said it would need to be completely re-cored.....$350! There are aluminum radiator on ebay with a fan for $285. Anyone found an aluminum radiator that fits?
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:09 pm

There are aluminum radiators that fit, but aluminum radiators can not be repaired.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:12 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Radiator-Fits-FORD-MUSTANG-1964-1966-FOR-289-V8-2ROW-NEW-DESIGN-COOLING-/251306137311?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a830356df&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3-ROW-ALL-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-1968-1974-DODGE-CHRYSLER-MOPAR-26-WIDE-CORE-/290950462482?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3APlymouth&hash=item43bdffbc12&vxp=mtr

Ok look into these sellers!! I have used 2 diff radiators sold by them -also from a seller named skip white on ebay- these are all quality all alunimum radiators- the plymouth ones have side flange mounts & between some years offer ford inlets & outlets & chev inlets & outlets! The ones that also fit 64-65 mustangs may fit econos aloso with out much mods or mounting problems.I know i have a new one in my 56 chev truck that i now dont even need to run an electric fan the thing cools so good(now removed it!) -stay with a 3 core also. They have measurements also buried on site for all radiators or just email them!!

Post by Guest Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:24 pm

Any one know what the measurements need to be? My original radiator is still at the radiator shop....I have to let them know to if I want to fix it or trash it...if I can find an aluminum one....but I can't get the measurements from it....so I have no idea what to look for.

Post by Guest Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:51 pm

What about this..? I guess I could try it...they say they will take it back and pay shipping if it does not fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251306998641
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:18 pm

I have a champion radiator in mine. Great radiator, and i have even removed the pulley driven van and just have an electric one now. No overheating problems now...!!!

The only problem i had was that the bottom hose needs to be bigger due to the larger outlet on the radiator.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:36 am

agood1- get it nice choice=make sure on water inlet & outlets positions/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 2:46 pm