VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Parasitic battery drain?

tommyfogarty
    tommyfogarty

Number of posts : 126
    Registration date : 2013-03-24

Parasitic battery drain? Empty Parasitic battery drain?

Post by tommyfogarty Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:15 pm

Hi all,

My '65 A-100 somehow drains the battery if it sits more than a day. I will measure the current tomorrow, but it's enough to drain a new battery in about 20 hours. Are there any common points where a sort occurs or something else that could be doing this?

Thanks!!
    Gusser
    Gusser

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2012-01-28

Parasitic battery drain? Empty Re: Parasitic battery drain?

Post by Gusser Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:40 pm

is it pretty stock setup or you have alot of custom mods ? once your set up to measure the draw , you can start pulln fuses and unpluggin stuff to isolate where its goin . check alt and reg also if you have electronic ign , I have seen a bad module cause a draw . not tryn to insult you but take a walk around the rig and make sure you dont have a problem w/brake lights stickin on ,had that problem myself not too long ago
    tommyfogarty
    tommyfogarty

Post by tommyfogarty Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:05 pm

It's totally stock. No fancy ignition or anything like that. I, too, was sure there was a light that wouldn't turn off or something like that. Can't find anything, though. To drain a battery like that it's gotta be a 2 or 3 amp draw, yes?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:13 pm

Pull a battery cable off, put a 12 volt test light in series with the cable and the battery post,,,,,if it lights, you got a drain,,,,,if it lights, pull fuses and see if the light goes out,,,,unhook the output wire from the alternator to see if the diodes are going bad,,,unplug stuff,,,,,,get that light to go out,,,,,,,,

Parasitic battery drain? Draine10
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:14 am

Donni's got you covered. I prefer to use an old seat belt buzzer on cars, since the battery is under the hood and it's easier to hear than to make a change then look.
    On our vans, you are right there next to the battery so a light is fine.
    since this is happening with the key off, concentrate on the stuff that is always powered, not switched. Common stuff is radio memory, a charging system regulator that doesn't shut off, brake lights, horn and interior light circuit that's shorted. Grab a copy of the wiring diagram, hook up the test light as shown, then start disconnecting stuff one at a time.
    Also unplug the ignition switch at some point. I've seen them sometimes feed power when off.
    This is one of the tough things to track down, so take your time and remember that vans are simple!
    tommyfogarty
    tommyfogarty

Post by tommyfogarty Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:03 pm

Seems like the ignition switch. Sometimes with the key at 12 o'clock and removed the ignition is still live, other times it stays "live". I guess I will replace the switch.
    tommyfogarty
    tommyfogarty

Post by tommyfogarty Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:04 pm

Or, as I meant to say, sometimes it is off.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:15 pm