VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Twinpilot001
Old Skool
HandiVanMan
chainsaw
8 posters

shipping a rear end

HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

shipping a rear end - Page 2 Empty Re: shipping a rear end

Post by HandiVanMan Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:45 am

I totally agree with Vic on replacing all of the old parts with new ones! Brakes are a very important component skimping on maybe a hundred dollar's worth of part's could cost you thousands in the end!
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:49 am

Thnx,,,  forgot to also mention new axle seals in the housing,,,,, part numbers
    Vic

ECONOLINE 9” REAR AXLE PARTS

DRUM     (10 x 2 ½”)             CENTRIC   122.65007  (premium)
                                                    CENTRIC    123.65007 (standard)     
    HDW KIT                           

BRAKE SHOES                     CENTRIC    110.01690 (premium)     
                                                    CENTRIC    111.01690 (standard)

WHEEL CYLINDER             CENTRIC    134.64010 (right) (premium)
                                                    CENTRIC     134.64010 (left)  (premium)
                                                     CENTRIC    135 turns the above into (standard)

AXLE SEAL                            NATIONAL/FEDERAL MOGUL

AXLE BEAING                       SKF #RW207-CCRA
    chainsaw
    chainsaw

Number of posts : 226
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by chainsaw Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:52 am

Ok, I cant move a bone in my body but I finaly got both sides off. The brake lines and rubber brake line on the 7 1/2 are all new. Thats why I was asking if the vent bolt that holds the junction block to the  rear end and the fittings on the brake lines are the same on both rears. Just trying to have everything I need before I start the swap, hate running to the parts store in the middle of a job. Thanks again for every one help. This is a great site with great people.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:35 am

I would guess that the brake lines may be a little long as the backing plates on the 9" are deeper because of the wider shoes. Probably not long enough that you couldn't just simply use up an inch or so and make them work, if they are new then why not. The rubber brake hose itself will be the same for that particular block. Some of the later brake rear brake lines come with the block and some that can be screwed in place. Regardless you can use either one. 
     Hope the part numbers make it easier for you,,,
    Vic..... congrats on getting them off,,,,  NOW to tackle the axles,,,>LOL..
    chainsaw
    chainsaw

Post by chainsaw Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:45 pm

Yes, the part numbers helped alot. Fixing to order everything I need, then take a well needed week vacation. Thanks again, Richard.
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:57 pm

And since we are now talking about brakes...

Replace the brake fluid every year!   

Unlike modern vehicles, our brake system is designed to suck water into the brake fluid.  This makes the brakes soft, so we need to replace all of the old fluid with new stuff at least once a year.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:26 pm

AND since so,,,, brake fluid IS a magnet for water vapor,, so once the jar has been opened its done. Also, on both our early master cylinder and the infamous 67,,, they  BOTH allow water into the master cylinder!!!!!!!!!!
      The early has a vent in the top of the cap and when you splash down the high way or road ways, the water gets on the top and INTO the system,, the 67 cap although "slightly" harder also has two vent slits on the top of it specifically there to allow the bellows to breath. The problem is that there is no way to directly put enough force down wards on the sealing gasket around the bolt AREA. SO,,, everyone that I get for rebuild needs sleeving because the water sits around the bolt area and eventually gets into the master cylinder.. SO,, the reason why I developed the 67 master cylinder remote reservoir conversion. It will NOT allow any water into the master cylinder even if you run it under water...  water KILLS BRAKES. I tried the old way for pictures and it wont work again?????
    Vic
    chainsaw
    chainsaw

Post by chainsaw Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:37 pm

Ok, after 3 weeks finaly finished the 9''swap (things take longer when your old and its 100+ outside) new brakes ,bearings, fluid ect. Took it around the block and did my first burnout, felt real good with just a stock 302-c4. Thanks again for everyones help and advice.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 7:36 pm