VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Bad Weather Driving

Dodger 359
    Dodger 359

Number of posts : 94
    Registration date : 2013-02-07

Bad Weather Driving Empty Bad Weather Driving

Post by Dodger 359 Sat May 04, 2013 11:17 am

Was driving home last night while a storm front went through. Made for some white knuckle low speed driving. Anyone have any stories to share.

Last edited by Dodger 359 on Sat May 04, 2013 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Bad Weather Driving Empty Re: Bad Weather Driving

Post by Big W Sat May 04, 2013 12:49 pm

While driving home from a job in Regina (3 hours from my home in saskatoon) my wife called me and told me to watch out for a freak snow storm heading my way. I laughed and looked up at the sky and saw nothing but blue. I said thanks for the heads up and continued on my way. I didn't get another mile down the road when I ran into what looked like a fog bank and that was all she wrote. My newer ford econoline went over the edge of the highway and all I could think of was WOW she wasn't kidding!!!. The van went sideways and plowed snow up against the sliding side door which kept me from rolling over. Tools everywhere and parts thrown about but I was alive and in need of fresh pair of underwear...lol. A van stopped and picked me up and was full of people that had got caught in the storm as well. We were only a couple of miles from the next town, and we waited out the blowing snow and the gas station. It only lasted about 15 minutes, and when it cleared there were 2 semi trucks and trailers parked side by side in the ditch between the 2 highways right in front of us, with nothing but blue skies all around. Never saw anything like it and haven't since.
    Dodger 359
    Dodger 359

Number of posts : 94
    Registration date : 2013-02-07

Post by Dodger 359 Sat May 04, 2013 3:15 pm

Wow! That is a strange storm. Glad everyone was ok. When the wind from the storm front hit, I thought I was going in the ditch one second and in the oncoming lane the next then back to the ditch. Kept her on the road but I second the need for a clean pair of BVDs. Smile
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat May 04, 2013 4:32 pm

The day I bought my 69 there was a snow storm in MI on the way home from IN driving was slow. I had been driving 12 hrs that day. Well almost home and I can see my porch light down the road. Then out of no where I'm spinning and she goes off the road almost hitting a 100 year old oak
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Sat May 04, 2013 7:18 pm

I remember driving my 65 Econo in the snow, in the mountains, with no heater. I had to keep one hand on the windshield to keep it defrosted. I'd move the hand up and down to keep a small part of the windshield clear, and I'd switch hands now and then. That coupled with lots of play in the steering wheel made for a fun drive.
    mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

Post by mikeysly Sat May 04, 2013 10:29 pm

Popped out above the clouds in rocky mountain national park at about 13,000 ft. couldn't see the road, like i was driving on the clouds or flying or something. nothing but the clouds beneath, the icy peaks, and a brilliant full moon illuminating everything. got back down into the canyons, come around a bend and there's a whole herd of elk sitting on the road. i hit the brakes and swerve, not too spastic ('cause y'all know how that'll turn out in one of our vans, your a$$ comin' around on 'ya and you off the road or worse, especially in wet), and this elk gets up and trots right in front of the van as i stop and stall. he trots about 100 more feet down the road and turns and looks at me, i get out and sure enough a nice elk a$$ print on the nose of the van. still got some wrinkles on the front of the van from it to this day. fortunately no one hurt, including the elk but the kind of experience that makes me a much more conservative and less ambitious driver nowdays

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 4:35 am