VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
blue Oval
Gothboy
Joe Van
Big W
kgdb
scarlin
dix
G-Man
Skulptor
13 posters

How much rust could be lurking? Looking at a purchase, need Econo Vets advise

Skulptor
    Skulptor

Number of posts : 79
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

How much rust could be lurking? Looking at a purchase, need Econo Vets advise - Page 2 Empty Re: How much rust could be lurking? Looking at a purchase, need Econo Vets advise

Post by Skulptor Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:46 pm

Looks like maybe some bondo caked on and cracking on the right rear corner.. maybe a little rust repair, but he says no Rot...
    Said lot of play in box, and he tried to adjust it. Sounds like sector shaft rebuild? I did a little research on the box rebuild, doesnt sound too bad a job. Are steering boxes hard to come across?

And thanks a ton again for everyones help and knowledge, SUPER appreciate it!
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

How much rust could be lurking? Looking at a purchase, need Econo Vets advise - Page 2 Empty Re: How much rust could be lurking? Looking at a purchase, need Econo Vets advise

Post by dix Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:03 pm

drivers rear corner is smacked hard. my guess is so was the passenger side. just covered up with mud. ask for more photo's. none of these vans are selling super fast. it's kind of a select group of people after a early van. bhis add states 170,000 miles but he's telling you 70,000 miles .??? the paint on the inside drivers door is worn off. This should not occur in 70,000 miles the brake and clutch peddle rubber covers should also tell a real tail. @ 70.000 miles they should not be worn out But can't see them in the photo.

Number of posts : 88
    Registration date : 2012-07-24

Post by blue Oval Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:10 pm

skulptor sweet van . you in norcal ? i'm in san jose if your close by i have parts .
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:36 pm

@DIx Yeah 70'000 seemed off to me too by looks of everthing else, he said his buddy put up the add for him and put 170. Says Hes had the van for a few months, got it because a customer couldnt pay up on a bike he built.. im going to go with 170'000.. id guess thats close to rebuild time?

@Blue Oval Right on, one i score a van ill be scoring parts. Ill hit you up for sure, Im in Sacramento, and commute into San Francisco for school few days a week..
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:14 am

Just so you go in with eyes open...
    EVERY 60s car/truck/van is going to need rebuilding/repair of some stuff unless it's just had a complete restoration, period.
    At this point, it won't matter much if it's 70K or 170K. If it's 70K, it's been sitting for long periods and will need all the electrical, rubber and fluids looked at. If it's 170K, it will need the same plus some or all of the drivetrain and suspension/steering looked at too. Most engines of that era will be pretty tired at 100K, but if it's lower miles from sitting, the rings and valve seals are going to be tired too.

Unless the vehicle was a grandma car that sat inside and always got fully serviced, the differences to the new owner will be pretty minor. lots of TLC and some repairs are standard, some sub-par repairs will need to be redone, and some repairs due to age will be required for this to become a daily driver. It will also require more service than a newer vehicle once on the road, but will be much easier to get into shape and keep that way.
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:52 pm

Rodstrace, thats is very true.. and thats exactly why i need to start hanging out with more grandmas ;P
    Iv had a few oldies, my first was a 55 Nash statesman when i was 19. Owning old cars taught me how to work on cars, and how to work on em on the side of the road alot haha. Had a 65 chevelle as a daily driver for while, but havent owned a Ford yet.

Love the rewards of driving an older classic, so all of that work and maintenance is well worth it Wink
    Dodger 359
    Dodger 359

Number of posts : 94
    Registration date : 2013-02-07

Post by Dodger 359 Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:25 pm

WARNING: SAPPY STORY AHEAD!!!

I had several early vans lined up to watch then slip away. I wanted an A-100 but was to the point at settling for any model at any state of repair. It was on going dissapointment every time. The latest was a Ford in Ohio that was purchased the day before I had set up to meet with the owner. He contacted me just prior but I told him that if the guy has cash in hand to sell it because I was not a sure thing. At least he called... The very next day, I found "THE ONE" on craigslist and contacted the owner. It was more than what I wanted to pay but it was love at first sight and from the photos, was in great shape. After talking with the owner (Awesome Guy) over several days to set up a time and deterimine the state of my Dodge, I finally told him my plans for the gal and he drastically reduced the price. I was shocked. If all those others didnt slip through my fingers, I would not have met my "ONE". Still feels like a dream after 2 years... Smile

Last edited by Dodger 359 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:29 pm

That there is a Hallmark story Dodger Wink yeah I feel like I'm online dating looking for my ONE, with all the time I spend online and meeting up to look at potential matched ;P

Murdock
    Murdock

Number of posts : 313
    Registration date : 2010-12-29

Post by Murdock Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:32 pm

It's so true, you find the one and you're hooked. I almost purchased a 64 that was mechanically sound but the pillars, drip rails, and corners needed a lot of work. My gut told me no and two days later the one popped up on CL, a 67 8 door Falcon. Much better shape and much rarer model. I had to drive it 100 miles home which was a little hairy but we made it. Since then I have rebuilt the motor, fuel tank, and front suspension, cleaned up a pile of electrical band aids and installed 3 point belts. I drive it almost daily now but I am still chipping away at it.
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:16 pm

Thats awesome Murdock! An 8 door would be sweet, id drive the distance for that kind of find too.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:28 am

Skulptor, pittsdriver had an 8 door for sale.
    I haven't heard about it being sold.
    Idaho from Norther(n) California could be done, but it all needs to be towed...

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t33044-1967-a-100-8-door-panel#147270
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:24 am

Shoot that sounds like solid deal! I don't have a tow rig or trailer to be able to get them all back to Cali.
    ...man that's a three for one deal right there though!
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Thu May 02, 2013 5:54 pm

So guy just hit me back up and said he'd take 3500. And he has a replacement panel for nose. I'm try and find a local to look at it. What's the van pros say??
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Fri May 03, 2013 6:37 am

Price out locally what it would cost to replace the nose.
    Compare the price of this van and replacement against vans that do not need this.
    WARNING: make sure you are sitting down when you get the estimate for replacement. Also understand that you will be entering "body shop hell" and the quoted price will almost always go up and the time estimate will be a lie!
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Fri May 03, 2013 7:50 am

FORGET IT!!!!!!!!!!!! There is so much cancer right in front of you, that you will never chase it all down WITHOUT replacing all the metal. BESIDES its and early by looking at the steering column it says 61 to 63....
    ALWAYS look for a 65 up,, too many reasons to explain them all, however things like a NINE INCH REAR AXLE OPTION, 240 OPTION, A REAL ENGINE CROSS MEMBER,,
    If it were a matter of an old windshield gasket and a minor cancer hole under neath it which is not uncommon for an old cracked gasket it would not be that bad, the truck has some of the good things like the front door panels and so on, but it doesn't matter how good you think you are at sheet metal, you will never find all the cancer that is still hiding,,,, If you are energetic>> I have a 66 TRAVEL WAGON here with two original pop tops and a fiberglass type camper top, it has a 9" the 240 and will be putting all brand new brakes in it, has a new head on it for $1800,,,,, I am not telling you to forget this one in order to sell mine, don't buy it,,,
    Old Skool
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Fri May 03, 2013 8:15 am

Yeah id be attacking this job myself. Been searching to see how intense a nose swap would be. Im on hunt for a local stripped down parts donor ride.

Old Skool, those things would be nice upgrade, figured id eventually four link the rear and swap to a 9" one day anyways. Im not too into the poptops, maybe i could fab the top into big moonroof! cheers or would that be blasphemy to do that to a pop top?
    You in Northern cali?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri May 03, 2013 11:05 am

Fixing a nose I'm sure is a huge job, maybe you should wait for a better one.
    blue Oval
    blue Oval

Number of posts : 88
    Registration date : 2012-07-24

Post by blue Oval Sat May 04, 2013 6:43 am

Hey skulptor pm me your # might have a van to look at in San Jose
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Sat May 04, 2013 6:46 am

Right on

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:30 am