VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
blue Oval
Gothboy
Joe Van
Big W
kgdb
scarlin
dix
G-Man
Skulptor
13 posters

How much rust could be lurking? Looking at a purchase, need Econo Vets advise

Skulptor
    Skulptor

Number of posts : 79
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

How much rust could be lurking? Looking at a purchase, need Econo Vets advise Empty How much rust could be lurking? Looking at a purchase, need Econo Vets advise

Post by Skulptor Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Howdy Econo crew! Im new round these parts. Iv got my eye on a van for sale that has few rust rot areas. Its a 7hr drive away from me so all iv got is pics to go off of. I was hoping some econo veterans might be able to tell me if its worth digging into it and how far it (rust) might go... and if this is just a common place to get rot, or there are any other common places ect.. Iv been on the hunt for a first gen van for a few weeks and am getting impatient to get to customizing already Very Happy So if its not that big a deal ill go fly down and drive her 7hr ride home and get straight to choppin!
    thanks!!
    https://i.servimg.com/u/f75/18/25/60/92/photo_16.jpg
    https://i.servimg.com/u/f75/18/25/60/92/photo_17.jpg
    https://i.servimg.com/u/f75/18/25/60/92/photo_18.jpg
    https://i.servimg.com/u/f75/18/25/60/92/photo_19.jpg
    https://i.servimg.com/u/f75/18/25/60/92/photo_20.jpg
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

How much rust could be lurking? Looking at a purchase, need Econo Vets advise Empty Re: How much rust could be lurking? Looking at a purchase, need Econo Vets advise

Post by G-Man Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:02 pm

In your area you should be able to find one more rust free, The better the body the more $$$ you'll save
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

How much rust could be lurking? Looking at a purchase, need Econo Vets advise Empty Re: How much rust could be lurking? Looking at a purchase, need Econo Vets advise

Post by dix Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:05 pm

I'm not a econo guy but can you do that kind of fab work and the welding needed there.????
    scarlin
    scarlin

Number of posts : 258
    Registration date : 2012-01-25

Post by scarlin Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:06 pm

I've never seen a hole in the roof, that's not good. how much rust under the windshield rubber. What are they asking?
    We need more pictures. What do the bottoms of the side and rear doors look like, rocker panels and most important the rear axle spring mounts.
    Drive it home? Does it run and how are the brakes?
    We like to see all saved but there may be trouble here.
    My .02c
    The good news, Welcome
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:33 pm

This ones in southern Cali, ill upload pics when I'm back at my computer. Shaping steel and welding isn't a problem, manipulating metals my thing. But don't want to be building half the body. Haha

The interior is super clean, it's Falcon with all the trim, runs drive, brakes, shift, steers great. It's guys daily driver. Asking 4500. Said he'd go 4000.

Looking for a driver. Iv run across a few around here, but some are not drivers.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:36 pm

Ok you need to get the magnifying glass out and look at photo #4 there is more rust on the roof also repainted and all around the grill and headlight bezels and also a long the falcon chrome strip going down the passenger side and all those areas have been touch up painted to hide it, ask for better photos of those areas. i would not fly in there for that much work. he's not being up front with you.........
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:39 pm

Can't paste a CL link, but if search 1962 ford falcon econoline van
    In Los Angeles area it'll come up
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:42 pm

along the entire roof rubber of the wind shild is bubbled up. that is not good my guess is behind the dash is rusted also.
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:48 pm

Yeah I could see the lil rust paint bubbles in few other spots too. It's seducing because everything original even the glass and its super clean inside. I think I'm just getting too anxious to get a rise ASAP
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:50 pm

I think your right Dix, I love you guys already!
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:03 pm

We are all here to help out each other. that is what makes this site work so well. Keep looking..

Number of posts : 266
    Registration date : 2009-12-03

Post by kgdb Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:06 pm

Rust in all the bad places, I would keep looking.
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:15 pm

Right on, thanks my new van brotheren! I'm down with helping right back!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:40 pm

Being on the West Coast there alot of vans out your way, for 4 grand you can find better and be happy you waited. Your van is out there and most times your van finds you
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:20 pm

Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:53 pm

Unfortunately the past owners let this one get to far gone on the rust around the window. That hole in the roof will have let water in and most likely has gone all the way across and rotted the inside valence that helps to hold the windshield in. If it was my money...I'd say walk away from this one. Sure it looks good from the cleanliness of the inside, but there is a lot of rust that's hiding on this one...just from what I have seen on my own vans.
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:42 am

RIght on, im walking away.. and just a walk up a ways from this one is a complete 66, Anyone know of any van guys in LA that i could pay their gas money to checkit out? Maybe ill do a little member searching.
    scarlin
    scarlin

Post by scarlin Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:28 pm

Your additional pictures show a very nice dash pad and a dash skirt, hard to find. A original rear seat and side panels. This would be a good deal if not for the hole in the roof.
    Could have been in a barn for a few years?

Last edited by scarlin on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : OE)
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

How much rust could be lurking? Looking at a purchase, need Econo Vets advise Empty HOW much rust could be lurking?

Post by Joe Van Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:15 pm

I am with Big W the van looks clean and is rare BUT there is most likely twice the rust hidden behind what you can see not counting all the water damage................... (Fuse box,Floors,Dash,). The right van will find YOU try to be patient......JOE...
    scarlin
    scarlin

Post by scarlin Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:32 pm

As a ford owner for years, for the right price, this could be worth just for the parts. Old skool probably has a nose if needed.
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:25 pm

Owner of it now got it from a surfer in Southern California, salt air is a metal eater..

Theres is a stripped out one here in Nor Cal for sale for 600, thought about swapping parts over but i think im have to just practice patience. Just eats up so much of my day searching endlessly through adds waiting for my gem to emerge, i wanna be using that time vannin.
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:34 am

Youll find what you're lookin for amigo! Just "stop" looking for it! Smile

That old adage has been tried and true with me, Once I stopped hunting in the papers for hours on end every day, one just popped up for the perfect price, and the perfect deal for me.

And who knows, If you find a better one kinda close to me, I'll go take a look if I can and see what I can see! Snap some shots and whatnot. Smile
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:47 pm

Hang in there and one will find your way.

Post by Skulptor Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:21 pm

this is the second van i called on weeks ago and its still up for sale, almost rode my motorcycle down south to lay down the cash on it.

Cant post the CL link yet, but heres a copy and past..

--->1966 FORD ECONOLINE E100 FALCON VAN - $3500 (ONTARIO)

1966 ford van "Econoline, E100, Falcon" all complete with new brakes new tires and new battery. Motor runs and drives like a top. All lights and gauges work. Needs a little tlc. Registered non op so no fees due. 170,000 original miles. $3500 O.B.O. ''''MAKE ME AN OFFER'''' May consider trade. Call or text 909-753-4079 George '''''NO E-MAILS''
    How much rust could be lurking? Looking at a purchase, need Econo Vets advise 3g93fd10
    How much rust could be lurking? Looking at a purchase, need Econo Vets advise 3ed3kc10
    How much rust could be lurking? Looking at a purchase, need Econo Vets advise 3f83je10
    How much rust could be lurking? Looking at a purchase, need Econo Vets advise 3k63m510
    How much rust could be lurking? Looking at a purchase, need Econo Vets advise 3i33j610
    How much rust could be lurking? Looking at a purchase, need Econo Vets advise 3ea3ic10
    How much rust could be lurking? Looking at a purchase, need Econo Vets advise 3k73if10

Its still up for sale and sounded like it wouldnt last, but its been on CL for almost a month so it makes me wonder if its just one of those, Looks Better in Pictures kinda deal.... Anyone checked it out?
    Dude says it has 70k original miles.. Everything works great, has alot of slop in steering (which would be a fun 7hr first drive back home ride) Back door damage, but has two new rear doors. Also said gears are little sticky sometimes but that its not a problem..
    i talked him down to 2500.. what yall think?

Much obliged for the offer Gothboy! Dont dont know how close this 66 is to you.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:21 pm

This van look better than the other, almost all our vans have kind a little slop in the steering. Also looks to have the interior trim pieces which are some things hard to find

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:33 pm