VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
dan nachel
sasktrini
NoBiggie
Buzzard
RodStRace
Gothboy
66ThunderVan
Twinpilot001
66e100pu
13 posters

Keeping a V-8 Conversion Cool

66e100pu
    66e100pu

Number of posts : 199
    Registration date : 2011-04-02

Keeping a V-8 Conversion Cool Empty Keeping a V-8 Conversion Cool

Post by 66e100pu Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:44 pm

Cooling a V-8

When it comes to keeping a V-8 swap cool, there is a lot of “seat-of-pants” advice thrown about. Some of it is sound, and some of it is, let’s just say is less than accurate. I’ve been working on not only keeping the operating temperature at a reasonable level (180 degrees), but to also ensure that the doghouse tin remains cool as well. I have tested several items that make a difference, and some that don’t. Hopefully, what I’ve found may be of value to somebody facing the same issues.

The original Ford "doghouse" design was barely adequate for the small six when the van/pickup was designed, but it is clearly inadequate in stock form for a V-8 swap. The limited space between the doghouse and the V-8 small block creates a situation where air is unable to circulate properly within the doghouse which increases the heat load to extreme levels. One solution is to expand the doghouse side panels to provide more room which many have done, or to modify the rear panel so that it vents outside into the bed area. In my case, I went with a vent, but either method will work.

There has been much debate on 2 row, 3 row, or 4 row radiators. My truck originally was fitted with a 2 row Champion aluminum radiator. It was removed and replaced with a Champion 4 row. The results, without making any other changes was the 4 row had an average temperature that was approximately 5 degrees hotter than the 2 row. Why? Because the 2 row utilizes 2 rows of 1” tubes, and the 4 row uses 4 much smaller tubes in a thicker core. The 4 row, due to the increase core thickness does not dissipate heat as effectively as the 2 row, so don’t waste your money on something that actually performs worse than the cheaper alternative. In some cases big equals better, but not with this.

Next up is the belly pan. Lots of debate on this one, but the results are very clear – don’t expect optimum cooling on a swap without one. I can assure you that Ford would not have utilized the belly pan if there was any way they could have eliminated it. It costs money to manufacture, and install. Fractions of a cent per unit are critical in manufacturing, and if they could have saved the cost, they would have. The conventional argument is that it does nothing at idle. The truth is that it does not function at idle, but it is necessary to ensure your temperature is more easily controlled at idle. The belly pan is needed to direct air flow throw the radiator, and subsequently provide circulation through the doghouse. Without the pan, the airflow hits the very bottom of the radiator and provides almost no positive circulation inside the doghouse. The key to controlling the temperature is minimizing heat load. The engine is a heat generator, the harder you push it, the more heat it generates. The least amount of heat generated is at idle. The belly pan is critical in minimizing heat load while driving so that when you are stuck for long periods at idle, the cooling system has much less to deal with to maintain a reasonable temperature. I found that running without a pan increased the coolant temperature by 10-15 degrees while running down the road. At idle, without any airflow the engine temperature would start to creep up slowly, and eventually go to about 210 degrees which is far too hot. With the pan installed, the engine temperature stays at the 170-180 level while running down the road, and when stopped, the temperature will drop to 165 degrees even if left idling for hours. Why? Because the cooling system is far less taxed in trying to maintain temperatures in the 170-180 range than it is trying to bring 195-200 degrees down to a reasonable level which is more difficult, if not impossible for it to do.

The next item was to install a fan controlled remote transmission cooler. Conventional wisdom says that removing the transmission fluid for the radiator will reduce the heat load. Sounds like it makes sense, but does it matter. I found no difference in coolant temperature either way. The reason I went with the external cooler was to eliminate the possibility of ruining the transmission from water contamination in the event that the cheap cooler Champion uses in the radiators ever let go. If you think about the actual volume of fluid the integral cooler can hold, it is very unlikely that it will affect coolant temperature. It is much more likely that the inadequate integral cooler will not provide sufficient cooling for your transmission than to think the cooler is introducing an enormous amount of heat into your radiator. Even under extreme conditions, the integral cooler only holds about a 1/2 quart of fluid which would have to get beyond hot to alter the coolant temperature in the radiator by any appreciable amount. I’m a big fan of external coolers, but not to reduce heat load in the doghouse. Again, moving to an external cooler resulted in a zero reduction in operating temperature.

High volume water pumps are another popular item. Been there, done that, and to be honest their effect on cooling over a good quality stock pump is again, zero. Save your money for a more worthwhile modification.

Cooling fans – what works, what doesn’t? This one is easy, a stock 6 blade fan, or a flex fan, or any mechanical fan WILL NOT cool a V-8. Electric fans with a rating below 3500 cfm WILL NOT get it done either. There are some very high quality 3600 cfm units available new, and the Taurus fan conversions will work too. Running a mechanical fan, as well as an electric unit will decrease the electric fans effectiveness. Because of the limited space inside the doghouse, the mechanical fan disrupts the airflow exhausting from the electric fan and decreases its effectiveness – been there and tried that too. It is best not to cut corners on the fan controller. I use an electronic Derale unit with a temperature probe that is threaded into the thermostat housing, it is more accurate than the expansion bulb that inserts between the radiator fins.. The key is to accurately set the “on” temperature to about 5 degrees below your desired “run” temperature. If you want to run all day at 180 degrees, set the fan to come on at 175. Always make it easy for the system to pull the temperature down from a reasonable level – waiting for it to get hot and then expect to pull it down easily is almost always asking too much. What about letting the cooling fan run with the ignition off? Sounds good, but does little in practice. Running your fans without coolant circulation will only cool the coolant in the radiator, not the coolant in your block. The engine itself cools at the same rate with or without the fan running at shutdown. It does help to purge hot air in the doghouse eventually, but that occurs after running long enough to draw the heat load off the hot radiator. In practice, the difference is so minor that it for me it wasn’t worth the battery drain, so I changed back to fans “off” on shutdown.

Thermostats – what should I use? I’ve found that 160 works best. Why? Because the thermostat opens to full circulation at whatever temperature unit you choose. Doesn’t mean the engine will stay at that temperature, just when your coolant is fully circulating. So in keeping with the theory that it is easier to bring down a temperature that is reasonable rather than one that is hot, then why would you delay circulation until 180, 185, or 190 degrees? If you want to stay in the 170-180 range, use a 160 thermostat.

Engine timing is the culprit of many overheating problems. It is also responsible for bad MPG. Timing MUST be set with a vacuum gauge, and there already more than one post on how to do this if you are not familiar with the procedure.

Other items you need to check if you have a new build, or just bought the vehicle:

Make sure block passages are not blocked with sludge or casting remnants.
    No vacuum leaks
    Head gaskets are not installed “backwards” or blown.
    Lower (suction side) radiator hose has a spring installed to prevent collapse.
    Adequate fan shroud is in place IF the electric fan does not cover at least 90% of the fin area alone.

So, in a nutshell, what has worked the best after testing a variety of combinations:

2 row Aluminum Radiator
    Stock steel impeller water pump
    160 degree thermostat
    3600 cfm electric fan with temperature probe in thermostat housing
    Timing at maximum advance without detonation
    Stock belly pan
    Adequately vented doghouse

Barring any vacuum leaks, head gasket problems, coolant passage blockage, or some other catastrophic condition, this should have your V-8 conversion running at 180 degrees or below even when the outside temperatures are boiling.

Hope this helps!

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Keeping a V-8 Conversion Cool Empty Re: Keeping a V-8 Conversion Cool

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:09 pm

Great summation there 66E - cheers I totally agree- yet will add = the water in the radiator for the tranny cooling (auto) removes the heat faster than any air type cooler can / will! I will also add that now days teh best solution for added cooling is to have a fan shroud made if none is present!! That alone will aid greatly when stopped in traffic. I know as ive made several in past years.Happy Vannin!!
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Wow,66, this is a great post.
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:58 am

Expertly done amigo! Smile
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:20 am

Well thought out, fully tested and expertly described.
    I commend you for sharing so well.
    As we all know, this is one of the most difficult things to modify successfully on the old vans.
    This may push me to go ahead and stuff a BB in my 66.
    I hope that some ideas for venting a van doghouse without resorting to a big stovepipe thru the roof will be shared.
    Buzzard
    Buzzard

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2012-07-01

Post by Buzzard Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:15 pm

First let me say thank you for saving me some money on things i was thinking on buying but doesnt running a engine at max timing make the engine run hotter??
    66e100pu
    66e100pu

Post by 66e100pu Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Hope it helps somebody on their build.

To answer Buzzard's question: The simple answer is yes. Timing that is too far advanced can cause overheating. With that said, almost all overheating is caused by retarded timing. If you follow the posts on setting your timing with a vacuum gauge (maximum vacuum - then back off 2 inches)you will agressively set your initial timing without advancing it so far as to cause detonation (pinging/pre-ignition)which is where the danger of running too hot (as well as burning a hole in your pistons) rears it's ugly head. Once you use the gauge to set your timing, make sure you use a timing light to verify your mechanical or vacuum advance is working properly. I have found that timing has the most effect on controlling your temperature, so it is worth the extra time to make sure it's spot on.
    NoBiggie
    NoBiggie

Number of posts : 726
    Registration date : 2012-09-26

Post by NoBiggie Wed May 01, 2013 5:21 pm

Wow...great info. So if I get rid of my leaky transmission cooler it shouldn't make a difference either way? Tired of that thing slinging fluid all over the bottom of the van.
    66e100pu
    66e100pu

Post by 66e100pu Wed May 01, 2013 8:16 pm

NoBiggie wrote:Wow...great info. So if I get rid of my leaky transmission cooler it shouldn't make a difference either way? Tired of that thing slinging fluid all over the bottom of the van.

Not quite sure what you are planning to do, but I want to try and clarify what I'm saying about the trans cooler. Trans fluid gets hot, really hot, so running without a cooler will leave you with a burned unit in short order. What I've found is that running the fluid through the integral cooler in the radiator will not lead to any significant elevation in engine coolant temp. If you don't want to run the trans fluid through the radiator, you need to install a remote cooler with a cooling fan. The point is, it makes no difference which way you go, but running without any cooler is not one of the options.
    NoBiggie
    NoBiggie

Number of posts : 726
    Registration date : 2012-09-26

Post by NoBiggie Thu May 02, 2013 5:52 am

Ok, thanks!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu May 02, 2013 6:06 am

66e=Is Correct= i recently read an article on cooling systems & stated from auto mfgrs= always run the trans fluid thru the radiatir 1st!! then thru air type aux. cooler - removes heat quicker & better from trans fluids!!

I will also add from experience = i will not run a car without a fan shroud also!! Cooling is way superior . There are now some aftermarket radiator sellers that now offer shrouds for the radiators.!! cheers
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Thu May 02, 2013 10:29 pm

Great post! Warrant's a "sticky", I'd say, and maybe in the general category, not just 'E'.
    Buzzard
    Buzzard

Post by Buzzard Tue May 07, 2013 2:32 pm

Took the van out today for a couple of laps around the block to get all the kinks out before going up to a car show tomarrow night. reread the thread on timing, got the vacum gage out and was running 15 pounds of vacum at idle, loosen up dist hold down advanced to 20 psi couldnt go any farther distubtor was hitting rad hose. Went for a test drive didnt hear any pinging from the engine turned it off tighten down bolt and went to restart and got a real slow crank and it would not start, back off dist 2 inches and back to my org starting point, started right up. I have a MSD 6, Super Coil,Ford spark plug wires and a stock Dist. Ran like a camp race horse untill i turned it off and then it started like a nag. Timing was at 12 degrees before advancing Dist for max psi. I hit a brick wall on this one any ideas
    66e100pu
    66e100pu

Post by 66e100pu Tue May 07, 2013 5:05 pm

Buzzard wrote:Took the van out today for a couple of laps around the block to get all the kinks out before going up to a car show tomarrow night. reread the thread on timing, got the vacum gage out and was running 15 pounds of vacum at idle, loosen up dist hold down advanced to 20 psi couldnt go any farther distubtor was hitting rad hose. Went for a test drive didnt hear any pinging from the engine turned it off tighten down bolt and went to restart and got a real slow crank and it would not start, back off dist 2 inches and back to my org starting point, started right up. I have a MSD 6, Super Coil,Ford spark plug wires and a stock Dist. Ran like a camp race horse untill i turned it off and then it started like a nag. Timing was at 12 degrees before advancing Dist for max psi. I hit a brick wall on this one any ideas

12 degrees is fairly advanced already, but 15 lbs. of vacuum at idle seems very low. I would break out the carb cleaner and start spraying around all the usual suspects for a vacuum leak.
    Buzzard
    Buzzard

Post by Buzzard Sun May 12, 2013 7:08 am

Bad weather day yesterday here in chicago so i opened up the engine cover and sprayed around carb and vacum hoses (3 of them) and found no leaks. Bumped dist a little farther and right at the point after warmed up can still start it up and picked up a couple more pounds of vacum, going to stick with it and see how it goes. Still have my org marks painted on dist shaft and block so i can always go back if needed
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun May 12, 2013 7:11 am

are u taking a vacumn test from proper place?
    That very low.
    Buzzard
    Buzzard

Post by Buzzard Tue May 14, 2013 7:37 pm

Only 3 vacums on a Holly. Useing the one that is tucked underneath the carb , not the upper that controls vacum advance for the dist. Im off friday going to make another run at it again
    Buzzard
    Buzzard

Post by Buzzard Thu May 16, 2013 8:36 pm

Couldnt wait till friday and started on it tonight right after dinner, looks like 17 pounds of vacum and 18 degrees of timing so far. Had to stop for the night exhaust a little loud!!! going to take it for a test drive tomarrow and see how it runs
    Buzzard
    Buzzard

Post by Buzzard Mon May 20, 2013 8:01 pm

Went to a car show in mount prospect sat night and van ran good, took the side streets there to see if it woould run hot and never got over 180 degrees. Pulled in and heard a guy yell econoline guy is here, only went once last year and the guy remembered the van. Got alot of lookers from the crowd and some from the car guys. This sat is Ford night so im going to head back up there again and this time get there early so i get a better spot in the begining of the parking where the prime spots are...
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Tue May 21, 2013 2:22 pm

After reading this post, I removed my mechanical fan. I have a taurus 2 speed fan with manual switches.(works for me). I have a home made belly pan that only extends about 20 inches forward. I plan on extending it because the hot air from the doghouse recirculates causing heat problems. On venting the doghouse, I thought about using heater ducting to come out the sides of the dh and go down throught the floor. By the way, I have a 200 I6. I do have a timer on the fan for after shut down, because the gas used to boil out of the carb, and make it hard to start when hot. I normally turn the timer up to about 15 minutes when I shut down, and when I return it starts right up. Just my 2 cents worth, food for thought.
    66e100pu
    66e100pu

Post by 66e100pu Tue May 21, 2013 3:15 pm

dan nachel wrote:After reading this post, I removed my mechanical fan. I have a taurus 2 speed fan with manual switches.(works for me). I have a home made belly pan that only extends about 20 inches forward. I plan on extending it because the hot air from the doghouse recirculates causing heat problems. On venting the doghouse, I thought about using heater ducting to come out the sides of the dh and go down throught the floor. By the way, I have a 200 I6. I do have a timer on the fan for after shut down, because the gas used to boil out of the carb, and make it hard to start when hot. I normally turn the timer up to about 15 minutes when I shut down, and when I return it starts right up. Just my 2 cents worth, food for thought.

I don’t think the heater ducting will do you too much good. I actually have a boat bilge blower hooked-up to take the heated air off the top of the doghouse, but it is marginally effective at best. The extension of the belly pan will help and you should have enough clearance with a straight six for decent airflow. As you know, running your fan on shutdown is evacuating the heated air from the doghouse and keeping the gas from boiling in the carb bowl, but you might be able to get away with not having to keep the fan running by installing a 1” phenolic spacer between the carb and intake. If you already have a spacer, I agree – just let the fan run for a couple of minutes. Unfortunately, the doghouse design brings new and unimagined meaning to high under hood temps!
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Tue May 21, 2013 4:12 pm

I only considered the heater ducting because someone posted that opening up the back of the dh to the bed of his truck solved his overheating problem. I don't want to cut the front of my bed, and for now, the electric fan is doing good, but in mid summer when temps near 100 I'm not so sure this will be enough. I will be lifting my truck about 6 inches, and will drop the engine and trans about 4 inches. This should help with airfow.
    66e100pu
    66e100pu

Post by 66e100pu Tue May 21, 2013 4:25 pm

dan nachel wrote:I only considered the heater ducting because someone posted that opening up the back of the dh to the bed of his truck solved his overheating problem. I don't want to cut the front of my bed, and for now, the electric fan is doing good, but in mid summer when temps near 100 I'm not so sure this will be enough. I will be lifting my truck about 6 inches, and will drop the engine and trans about 4 inches. This should help with airfow.

That might have been me, but I'm running a V-8 with a stock doghouse, and the rear venting helps greatly with the airflow. With as much room as there is with the 6 cyl. I don't think you'll gain much more (if anything) in total flow. Here's a pic. of what I did, but notice how crammed-up the doghouse is with a 302 in there.

Keeping a V-8 Conversion Cool Dscn0810

Keeping a V-8 Conversion Cool Dscn0811

mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

Post by mikeysly Tue May 21, 2013 9:19 pm

Where can i find that 1" spacer?
    66e100pu
    66e100pu

Post by 66e100pu Wed May 22, 2013 7:26 am

You should be able to find one on ebay, Summit, Jegs, ect.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:49 am