VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+19
morbank
Vantasia
dodge man
Larry
Digz
HandiVanMan
vanner68
rustybug13
millwright71
campin'fool 2
Gothboy
vanny
tristessa
Joe Van
Twinpilot001
G-Man
donivan65
Big W
Xelmon
23 posters

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window

vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 Empty Re: New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window

Post by vanny Sun May 26, 2013 4:07 am

Now that's a typical van owner, knee deep in mud, grease and rust and you still can't wipe that grin off their faces!! You gotta love it!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-10-11

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 Empty Re: New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window

Post by Xelmon Sun May 26, 2013 10:50 pm

And another update!
    So today's update includes me futzing around with the break system.
    The old master is needless to say old. The rubber over the piston is torn out, and the cylinders inside is black as night.

On goes the cylinder from the '68!
    The actual break pin was surprisingly in better condition than the one on the '68! The exposed ends were still rusted, however the core itself had less wear and surface rust.
    The end result was using the old break arm - less dirt to clean off - and the newer pin.

Also, scrolling up, there is a lot less dirt next to the pedal as I took a good hour to clean the area out. Of course, break cleaner will have to be used for the most obnoxious stuff... Looks a lot better though. No more 1/2" mud.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 W8Hm6PXl

As the master is old - and probably craptastic - I replaced that and the block. I know that it works, so that's what goes in there.
    Had to use the vice grips to loosen the bolts, however once they were loose they only needed a wrench.
    Did a lot of cleaning of the threads, greasing said threads so that hopefully they don't stick this bad next time around, and such that.
    I did clean the front/rear pipes, just so that there's a bit of sheen in there in that sea of rust. Very Happy

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 4Xk5pzOl

Considering all, it was a rather short work day, still none the less productive as a lot of cleaning, and thoughtful reassembly has taken place.

Oh, and the mud, and the rust that fell off...

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 4wUc6Ail
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Mon May 27, 2013 4:04 am

Looks much better, looking good! You've got momentum, brother!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Post by Xelmon Wed May 29, 2013 1:14 am

Today's task ended up focusing on the steering column, as that is sorta the next thing that has to go back. Of course, it had to all come apart as the felt bushing leaked and the signal cluster got all oiled up. Apart it comes!

First thing's first, mending something! Or at least swapping it out. The turn signal switch was cracked at the thread, and one of the return springs was broken, so I said screw it, time to get a new one. Ended up being 10 bucks too!

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 Umts1y5l

All assembled, fit's pretty damn well too!

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 GphYdgnl

Ah this piece. This is the contact side for the horn I believe, and this is the finished installation, as I had to use a copious amount of glue to reattach it. I had to take it apart to remove the last of the oil, and sadly...

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 VjWY1syl

... All but one of the ears broke off.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 NyqA59ml

I also did some cleaning and polishing on the steering box, and she is looking much better now.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 1SIAwPGl

Of course, as helpful as the fellow was at O'Reillys, I noticed at the end of the day that the signal switch while a good fit, isn't perfect. There is another one that is 2 digits off for a P/N, and it's the correct angle. Oh well, I'll take it apart and return it calmly.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 5NqdbQ3l
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Wed May 29, 2013 2:57 am

Once you get the correct part, if you could note the correct part number for future reference, that would be greatly appreciated by all. Thanks and keep up the great work! Very Happy

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed May 29, 2013 5:59 am

Great job!! Advancing like an army on the van!! Best advice i could give -loose the VW buddies & remind them if they had wound up where you did in the old van -they never would have walked away!! cheers affraid Happy to see you getting involved again!!
    tristessa
    tristessa

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2013-01-23

Post by tristessa Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:41 pm

We give him shit because we care .. it's a good-natured shit-giving, nothing serious. Razz
    tristessa
    tristessa

Post by tristessa Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:10 am

Steering column went in last night. Anyone ever re-work the detent plate for the automatic shifter on the Powerglide column to work correctly for a 700R4/200-4R swap?

For now, if we can get it set up so P-R-N-D work more-or-less correctly (with D as [D] obviously) that'll be good enough for the immediate, but it should ultimately be done correctly with the detents in the right places and an indicator lens appropriate for the incoming 200-4R. There's a campout next weekend with a 200 mile round-trip from Portland, we're thrashing to get the van together in time...

Last edited by tristessa on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix awkward wording)
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:07 pm

Good luck and have a good time on the campout! 200 mile round trip should be a good test to see what might need adjustments. Take pics if you get a chance!

tristessa
    tristessa

Post by tristessa Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:04 pm

Old engine out, 3-speed is out, "new" engine from the wrecked '68 is in, 200-4R is in, driveshaft is in. Left it with a jackstand under the tranny because it was 9:30 at that point and I didn't want to piss off his neighbors with a bunch of cutting-and-grinding noise.

Plus it was getting dark. Rolling Eyes
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:04 am

Good Work!1 So =Where is this "Campout"" at near portland?? get it Advertized here too!! cheers
    tristessa
    tristessa

Post by tristessa Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:05 am

We're aiming for the 8th Annual Deschutes River RendesVW over in Maupin south of The Dalles on 197 -- it's a VW and VW-enthusiast shindig put on by the Oasis Resort.

Xelmon's been going for years without owning a VW, and his showing up with the Chevy last year was a definite improvement over earlier years when he brought a Civic and a tent. Shocked

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 LqjzY

I show up because I've got a '75 VW poptop .. with an engine swap and a hidden radiator, but they let me in anyway.
    rustybug13
    rustybug13

Number of posts : 209
    Registration date : 2012-07-28

Post by rustybug13 Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:54 am

Good to see I'm not the only VW guy to set up a residence here. I know I'm a bit late but wouldn't you want to keep the manual transmission? You would have better control over your speed on those rocky down hills(but here's me crossing my fingers that never happnens to you again). Then again I have a bias against automatics, and I just plain love to push in the clutch and shift the gears myself. Very Happy
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Post by Xelmon Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:33 am

Oh wow, missed a response!

@ Rustybug13:
    I looooove the manuals too, really do! However, having driven around with a 1:1 top I realized that I definitely needed the OD.
    Of course, getting an OD on either a 3 or 4 speed is somewhere north of $800, plus when I really started playing with the column, I found that there is virtually no neutral... So that means that servicing would've been a headache.

Of course, it helps too that Tris nabbed a 200R4 with 0 miles and we got a remfg torque converter for $220. Plus, I have the column, so why not?

Now, ONTO THE UPDATE!

Verbal:
    First, the biggest thing that was open to be tackled is not a problem. The rear differential is in extremely good condition, with virtually no wear on the R&P, and minimal surface wear on the sleeve bearings for the two transfer gears.

The axles are also in very good condition, and have been fortunate to have the 15 roller bearings which are known to be much better for wear. Never the less, new bearings and seals have been installed.

The kingpins are in generally better condition than the previous white van, however they are still worn and wobbly. Oh well.

The drag link and dampeners however are deader than a door nail. All have to - or have been - replaced so that the ride would be a fair bit safer.

Pictured:

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 VyJh5DVl

The "new" carb has been rebuilt, however I managed to bust a bolt, so I have not fully reassembled it. I will definitely use one of the gaskets though to install it on the "old" intake!

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 H6HBuLdl

This has been one of Tris's pet projects, new front seats. They are both adjusting, and they have this nifty feature of folding flat. They came out of a Chevy Venture mini-van, center row seats. Smile

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 WZOpCnRl

The automatic column is back in, and it's even more buttoned up than in the picture! Of course, the steering wheel is still not back on, as I want to center it.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 Qmah9kbl

This is the bellhousing from the - now removed - 3 speed manual. I'll take pictures tomorrow, as the clutch was dead. However, whatever punk band drove it around knew their stuff, as the flywheel is easily turnable, and reusable! Very Happy

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 R3J1DDql

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 Ei1SzoZl

The 3 speed... I have yet to clean it off and figure out what I'm missing out on / happily avoiding.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 Nqkcj1Xl

Dad, he's been helping out a lot from grabbing parts like no tomorrow, to replacing all 4 corners, breaks and everything... Makes me feel like a total putz.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 IUsmxzSl

Out with the old, in with the new!

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 GFUbTnll

Tristessa in the flesh, he has helped far more than I could ever thank him for.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 KFVNLTNl

As it was late, these are pictures from the next day... Isn't she pretty?
    Also déja vu, I know I have taken a picture in a very similar angle before!

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 LpJmGbhl

And also dad's handy work. As he knows how to work the polisher, he has been doing small bits.

The owner of the salvage yard said that "When you get it running, bring it by, I want to see it!". I have a feeling that he's either going to be amazed or pissed, as he didn't get around to work on it for nigh on 10 years. =D
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:26 am

I think he'll be amazed and pissed but he'll also be happy that someone actually got the job done. Who knows, maybe it will inspire him to do something on a different project he may have been putting off. It's all Good! Keep up the great work and make sure you give your coworkers lots of praise for all the help they're giving you! Man, that motor looks Awesome!

tristessa
    tristessa

Post by tristessa Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:25 am

Next on the list for Xelmon: Radiator, fan, fuel pump, distributor, manifolds & carb, belt, hoses, fuel line, put the drag link back in, install the gas tank & doghouse lid, start dicking with the shifter and throttle linkage. Bypass the heater core until we have a chance to test it for leaks.

Next on the list for me: Building the transmission crossmember and replacing the rusted-out exhaust and muffler. We've got a good stretch of pipe that came with the three-bolt exhaust manifold, but both mufflers on hand are shot. If time & money were no object I'd put a split manifold on it with a pair of 26" Smithy's mufflers, but .. time is definitely an object so it'll probably be whatever universal they've got on the shelf at the FLAPS and a single pipe...
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:37 am

Looking Good
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:27 am

Wow!

'From the ashes of disaster
    Grow the roses of success!'

Name the movie that quote is from....
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:59 am

Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang!

rustybug13
    rustybug13

Number of posts : 209
    Registration date : 2012-07-28

Post by rustybug13 Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:17 pm

That's a great looking motor, guys. I hope you make it to the VW run in Deschutes.
    tristessa
    tristessa

Post by tristessa Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:24 pm

Radiator, fan, fuel pump, hoses, distributor, intake/exhaust manifolds & carb are in. Picked up a Thrush Turbo muffler, 2" in/out for the to-be-built exhaust. Gas tank needs to go in, tranny crossmember is still a thorn in my side, shifter linkage needs to be done. TV cable hookup for the 200-4R looks like it'll be a piece of caek.

No idea if any of the electrical works...
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Post by Xelmon Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:57 am

Hopefully making it, still a hint iffy, although today/tomorrow should be going much better... If it isn't, I'll be a very sad panda.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 0z1yQc8l

Tris said that there's two holes that had to be expanded, so I took the time to go to the machine shop and drill them out. Much easier on a full size mill instead of a hand drill.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 DNaiVNCl

And of course, The Engine.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 UGv19xyl

She came out pretty nicely, although I wish I had Stovebolt dualies on them. Oh well, eventually.

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 MCPmBxSl

Ah, and one of the van's new stockings... It's rather out of place considering how white and red it is.
    tristessa
    tristessa

Post by tristessa Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:23 am

New beast on the block! - '69 GMC 90" window - Page 2 BangHead1

Transmission crossmember is built, exhaust is "good enough for now, muffler shop later" -- the manifold must've been from a 292, pipe was 2.25" or 2.5" and the muffler I'd bought was 2" so we had to run and get a reducer, and right now it's just got a turn-down aimed at the ground on the other end.

Xelmon was getting the timing rough-set when I left last night, his dad was power-bleeding the brakes.  Need to double-check and possibly readjust the TV cable, need to install the transmission dipstick.  Not worrying about the torque converter lockup right now, but we're going to double-check that we've got the right pressure switch installed this morning while the pan's off so it's internally ready to go.  

Need to get the shifter hooked up. Shocked
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:27 am

Sounds like the 3 Musketeers are hard at work doing a bang up job on this van! One for all and all for one! Keep up the fantastic work guys!

tristessa
    tristessa

Post by tristessa Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:51 pm

Xelmon and the GMC didn't make it to the campout, there was just too much to do and too little time left to do it in.  We gave it a good ass-kicking effort but I finally had to hit the highway around noon-ish Friday.  Had to order in the Lokar transmission arm at the local store, plus Xelmon built a piece to connect the Lokar arm to the stock Powerglide shift rod/pivot.  Nice looking bit of work, I told him he needs to take pics and post them here. 

The van starts & runs right now, heard it on the way home from work this afternoon when I swung by to see where things were at. .. oh yeah, had to jet back to Portland from the campout early this morning 'cuz I had to work at 10.  My little hotrodded VW Bus cooked right along I-84 to The Dalles and back at 70-75 (and a stretch at 80) no sweat, 65-70 on 197 down to Maupin except for a couple grades at 60MPH .. earned just shy of 21MPG for the trip. 

There's more but I'll let Xelmon fill in.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:39 pm