VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
mattimuss
JariV
Dawgboy
jkr
dix
Schoessow
10 posters

front windshield replacement rubber seal.

Schoessow
    Schoessow

Number of posts : 16
    Registration date : 2012-07-30

front windshield replacement rubber seal. Empty front windshield replacement rubber seal.

Post by Schoessow Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:00 pm

Howdy lads, I was wondering were can a fella purchase new windshield rubber for a 1969 Dodge Van A-108? The right side windshield is cracked and needs to be replaced as well as all the rubber. I understand I will have to have a local glass guy make a replacement glass but I don't know where to get the rubber. Thanks Dennis
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

front windshield replacement rubber seal. Empty Re: front windshield replacement rubber seal.

Post by dix Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:48 pm

the prices on e-bay are a fair price.

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

front windshield replacement rubber seal. Empty Re: front windshield replacement rubber seal.

Post by jkr Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:34 pm

i used one from clester's auto restorations. just search the name and it will come up. i was quite happy with the quality of mine. reasonable price as well delivered to the door......

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:06 pm

restoration specialtys was also a great fit, and you can order with chrome strip, wich i did for an extra 15$ ..corrosive
    Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

Post by Dawgboy Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:45 pm

So, did you guys replace the seal yourselves? Is it a simple job? Mine's trashed...
    JariV
    JariV

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2013-04-25

Post by JariV Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:14 am

I did all my weatherstripping myself on all the windows. The plastic trim on the windshield seal was the most unpleasant task without a proper tool. I used tire mounting liquid to put all of them back in with electrical wire and it was super easy.
    mattimuss
    mattimuss

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2009-05-04

Post by mattimuss Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:51 am

I purchased my rubber from Restoration Specialties with a non-chrome locking strip. Good price, quick shipping.

I am having a local glass company cut new glass, with tinted top, and install both the glass and rubber at my house. They have done work on a couple of my other classics and have done a great job.

Matt
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:11 am

i had mine done by a pro, it took him 20 minutes, if you never worked with glass and new rubber seals i recomend you use a pro,
    Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Post by Dawgboy Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:15 am

All sage advise. Never removed a windshield without breaking it, but I really want to treat the metal under it before the new rubber goes in...
    mattimuss
    mattimuss

Post by mattimuss Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:20 am

DB,

This is the exact step I am at on my van. I am cleaning around the windshield and getting ready to paint the dash. When the dash has been painted and the area around the windshield has been cleaned/primed I will be having new glass put in.
    Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Post by Dawgboy Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:54 am

I sure would love to come over when you yank the glass. I have a varied work schedule that has me having alternating Tuesdays and Fridays off, and all Thursdays for now, so if it's during the work week, I could come and help, or certainly just watch and learn.

I cannot say how happy I am,to have found a an active FC Van interest group in my area. I have been suffering from Jeep forum withdrawal for a while.
    mattimuss
    mattimuss

Post by mattimuss Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:47 am

Hey DB, check your PM.

Matt
    Schoessow
    Schoessow

Post by Schoessow Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:55 pm

Thanks for your help guys. I got my windshield seal from Clesters. I took Dodge Man advice and had a pro make a new driver side glass and they install it all in about 20 min. like he said. About $90 for the glass and $65 to install. I was happy.

Now on to the next project. New wiring from Ron Francis. This will be fun. I have never done a entire rewire before. Hope the instruction are good and have lots of pictures. Dennis
    mattimuss
    mattimuss

Post by mattimuss Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:09 pm

I pulled my original harness from the van. It came out without me causing any damage, but there are a couple questionable splices from previous owners.

I purchased a 21 circuit system from EZWire [I know, too many circuits, but I have plans Idea ].

I, like you, have never completely rewired a vehicle. I am willing to share my ideas/problems/fixes if you are...

Matt
    Schoessow
    Schoessow

Post by Schoessow Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:38 pm

Mattimuss, That sounds good. Like you I decided to go with the larger system. 18 circuit Express system from Ron Francis. It is nice to have more circuits then not enough. Next pay day I should have enough yenom to order the system. Talk at ya later. Dennis

69FW likes this post

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed May 01, 2013 9:42 am

On the windshield-
    If you are replacing the seal, first remove the lock strip which is the harder rubber in the center. Use a large flat blade screwdriver. A hammer is handy if it's hard and brittle, but be careful! Work up to the force needed rather than just start beating on it.
    Next, grab a carpet knife, putty knife or similar wide flat blade and cut the rubber flat outward from the glass surface. If it's also hard and brittle, you may have to use the hammer and chip it away. The idea being to remove all rubber from the glass forward. Then the glass can be removed, then the rest of the seal.

For wiring -
    I'd suggest calling whatever company you are planning on using and discuss your project. They should be able to accommodate the differences from regular cars to the midship engine location in the harness so you don't have to add wire. If not, check other suppliers! Wiring is very time consuming and detail-oriented, but can be done by almost anyone with some mechanical ability.
    Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Post by Dawgboy Wed May 01, 2013 10:14 pm

Schoessow wrote:Thanks for your help guys. I got my windshield seal from Clesters. I took Dodge Man advice and had a pro make a new driver side glass and they install it all in about 20 min. like he said. About $90 for the glass and $65 to install. I was happy.

Now on to the next project. New wiring from Ron Francis. This will be fun. I have never done a entire rewire before. Hope the instruction are good and have lots of pictures. Dennis

I just did a Ron Francis harness, and it was well done, but all the engine wiring was too short. I went with the Classic Mopar harness. If you go that route, do call them and inform them that you want them to add 4 feet to the ignition, and charging portion of the harness, and to the gauge cluster. That was a major screwup for me, and I ended up splicing all those connections.
    westcoastvanner
    westcoastvanner

Number of posts : 1686
    Registration date : 2008-10-04

Post by westcoastvanner Wed May 01, 2013 11:20 pm

I need to replace the lock strip which is the harder rubber in the center. Is there any company that sells an after market replacement?
    mattimuss
    mattimuss

Post by mattimuss Thu May 02, 2013 6:43 am

Hey WestCoast,

I misspoke earlier, I didn't get mine from Restoration Specialties, I got it here:
    http://precisionrestorationparts.com/i-8705211-1964-1970-dodge-van-windshield-weatherstrip.html

You can get the windshield gasket & locking strip, just the gasket, or just the locking strip.

Their prices are good and the shipping fast.

Matt
    jfox
    jfox

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2011-05-20

Post by jfox Fri May 24, 2013 6:47 pm

mattimuss wrote:Hey WestCoast,

I misspoke earlier, I didn't get mine from Restoration Specialties, I got it here:
    http://precisionrestorationparts.com/i-8705211-1964-1970-dodge-van-windshield-weatherstrip.html

Matt,
    I just received the same gasket. Any tips for install to share?
    mattimuss
    mattimuss

Post by mattimuss Sat May 25, 2013 6:17 am

Hey jfox,

After reading all the posts here and elsewhere I have decided to farm it out. I contacted Mark's Glass in Santee. He's going to cut new glass for me and install everything at my house.

If you do plan to install it yourself let me know. Maybe we can coordinate a time so I can help. I have found that an extra set of hands/eyes are always a great addition!

Matt
    jfox
    jfox

Post by jfox Sat May 25, 2013 7:58 am

Matt, i'm going to give it a shot this weekend. I'll follow the advise for removal Rod posted. Anyone else have insight? Matt pm me if you wanna swing by. I'm off Fletcher pkwy.
    westcoastvanner
    westcoastvanner

Number of posts : 1686
    Registration date : 2008-10-04

Post by westcoastvanner Sun May 26, 2013 11:48 am

I have also decided, to farm it out.
    jfox
    jfox

Post by jfox Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:28 am

Super EASY install. I gave it a shot(alone) with great results. Here is what i did; Dry fit the new seal into the van window opening, soap the inside channel of the seal where the glass will sit. Slide one glass panel into the bottom first. Using my plastic mountain bike tire iron i "shoe horned" the the upper part of the seal over the top of the glass. Leave the center strip alone for now. Perform the same on the other piece of glass. Your left with the two windshields overlapping at the center. Turn the center strip a quarter turn to catch both edges of glass. Lightly press from the front of both pieces of glass and they will seat in. From there the locking strip is straight forward. Used the garden hose to test for leaks. I can honestly say that to date this is the easiest project on the van i have done. Don't be intimidated, its just flat glass. The whole job with removal took me about an hour. I would be happy to help anyone out here in San Diego with an A100/108.front windshield replacement rubber seal. Img_2018

Last edited by jfox on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
    Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Post by Dawgboy Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:40 am

Nice to know! I have a set of nylon tire spoons too, guess I will throw them in the tool box?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:45 am