VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
Gothboy
mothradeath
SDEconoTruck
dix
NoBiggie
9 posters

Source for Dropped Econoline Axles

NoBiggie
    NoBiggie

Number of posts : 726
    Registration date : 2012-09-26

Source for Dropped Econoline Axles Empty Source for Dropped Econoline Axles

Post by NoBiggie Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:57 pm

Here's a place that will fabricate a drop axle. Scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://www.droppedaxles.com/FORD_AXLES.html
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8735
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Source for Dropped Econoline Axles Empty Re: Source for Dropped Econoline Axles

Post by dix Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:02 pm

SDEconoTruck
    SDEconoTruck

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2010-05-27

Post by SDEconoTruck Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Sid dropped my axle, excellent work. In fact if you scroll to the bottom of the page, that is my axle. Highly recommended as he even massaged the kinks out. (That's how they did front end alignments on Econos by bending the axles with a special factory tool, mine was "adjusted" several times, ha ha.)
    George
    Source for Dropped Econoline Axles Imgp8410

Also went with dropped tie rod ends from Speedway rather than adapters, much cleaner
    Source for Dropped Econoline Axles Imgp8411

Bought a ream tool from Edco and did my own kingpins
    Source for Dropped Econoline Axles Imgp8412

Of course, I ended up re-doing the springs and bushings as well, I posted a thread on here someplace as a "How-To"
    Source for Dropped Econoline Axles Imgp8910

So, if you are getting a dropped axle, there are other things you can do at
    the same time, knock it all out and it will be great.

You might get a little clearance issue on the DS bump stop as the axle will be 3/4" narrower, (I had to narrow the Tie Rod a bit) but overall it was pretty straightforward and kinda fun!
    mothradeath
    mothradeath

Number of posts : 217
    Registration date : 2009-06-17

Post by mothradeath Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:25 pm

Nice. There's alot or people who want to do this. You should post before and after pics. How's the ride and is there any bump steer issues?
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:38 am

@SDEcono you said "SID" dropped your axle. Does he do custom axle fab work? How do I contact Sid?
    busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Post by busman78 Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:33 pm

Notalgia Sid's - Dropped Axles http://www.droppedaxles.com/

Sid did my 61 front axles, no drop just new king pins and straightened it out, topnotch work.
    FCC
    FCC

Number of posts : 295
    Registration date : 2014-04-29

Post by FCC Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:14 am

Hey SD. That's a great start on the drop axle swap. By chance could you do us all a solid and write up a quick install guide and final review?  It would be very helpful to anyone researching their options.
    This option retains stock suspension config, so it's important.
    Thanks mister!
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:37 am

Not knocking the drop axle or Sid at all but whats the total final price to do it? Using the kit I made costs you $200, no adapters of any kind needed and no change to axle width. The only real difference I see is Sid's limit from my understanding is a max 3" drop where mine is around 4 to 4 and 1/2 depending on variables with each vehicle. My kit can be installed literally in a few hours and if ya don't like it easily returned to stock. Just some facts to consider.
    FCC
    FCC

Post by FCC Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:44 am

For me Tim, if the back wasn't such a PIA to drop, your kit is a winner. But at 4", the back must come down.. 2" drop and the back can stay stock.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:05 pm

FCC wrote:For me Tim, if the back wasn't such a PIA to drop, your kit is a winner. But at 4", the back must come down.. 2" drop and the back can stay stock.

Why not just remove a leaf on the front and/or rear for a small drop?

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:34 pm

Tim, do you have any pictures you can post of Vans/Trucks that used your blocks? Bumpsteer issues? What tire size should one use?
    FCC
    FCC

Post by FCC Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:09 pm

I may do just that. But I just hope it doesn't drive floppy from lack of spring. And I just bought new OE shocks. I guess I can sell them.

What leaf do guys usually remove?

Why not just remove a leaf on the front and/or rear for a small drop? wrote:
    dudley32
    dudley32

Number of posts : 68
    Registration date : 2015-01-17

Post by dudley32 Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:09 pm

I know this is an old thread...but I wanted to know too...took out the bottom two springs and it dropped my "66 between 2 1/2 and 3 inches...I'm thinking of installing Monroe Load Leveler shocks to take out some of the slop...any recommendations?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 3:52 pm